Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[FONT=&quot]Here is my official prediction! Electric trucks will fail miserably after a brief initial sales surge. Both Ford and GM are talking about making electric trucks right now. GM Authority had a big article today about it that prompted me to write my opinion here. Ford is going to do it. There is also that Rivan thing that might be made in China? I literally don’t care enough to Bing it and find out more.

The whole point of a truck is that it’s a “go anywhere do anything vehicle”. Electric vehicles by their very nature are “short distance commuter vehicles”. This extreme difference in Use Cases between Trucks and Electric Vehicles means that an electric truck simply serves no use for anyone.

What do you think? Will you consider an electric truck? I’m honestly interested in hearing other peoples opinions![/FONT]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Im sure they will come out and some will find a use for them but for people that actually use a truck as a truck, Im not so sure whatever is in the pipeline will suffice. Im sure they will eventually make one that will satisfy many people but diehards (such as myself) will never consider one.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Until battery technology gets radically altered through research and development I just can't see a practical application for EV in trucks. The shear weight to power stored ratio is still a tough nut to crack for the truck scenario. If and when that restriction is broken through would it even become close to being a viable and practical move to EV trucks.

We use an EV at work. Works great for those short trips throughout the islands but it is a nightmare going to the mainland and you have to plan for the charge point on the route in or out of the city, plus layover charge time. It really only gets good with the newer EV's with 250-300 mile ranges but those are cars for people and a bit of luggage, not a HD frame, bed, 4WD transmission and ground clearance and the need for heavy loads that make a truck what it is.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Electric vehicles, trucks included, will be the meat and potatoes of all manufacturers. The question is when? Even long haul trucking will not escape its grasp. How far into the future before trucks will be able meet consumer expectations? A very long way away from today’s current technology.

But, at 66 I don’t expect to see that day. So, going back to the question if that future was now would I own an electric truck? Hell yeah!

Gusto!

·
Registered
187 Posts
[FONT=&quot] I literally don’t care enough to Bing it and find out more..

[/FONT]
What?!? Someone actually uses Bing?! ;)

In all seriousness, I would absolutely consider an electric truck. Trucks will benefit from all the battery research going on right now for cars. Trucks will also overcome the issue with charging stations as they will use the same locations being deployed everywhere (albeit at a varied pace depending on geography/location) for cars. So a lot of the problems I see today with electric vehicles will be squared away.

The final piece is cost. Hopefully in ~10 years or so we'll have viable electric trucks for the "regular peeps" like myself. If not, I'll keep my Colly :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
[FONT=&quot] I literally don’t care enough to Bing it and find out more.
Who the ***c uses Bing?

There's a lot going on with EV's. My thought is if/when (more when, less if) battery technology gets to the point where range anxiety can be overcome, infrastructure/supply issues are overcome, then it can begin to reasonably replace ICE technology. The first "big deal" electric car I remember was the GM EV1. And the world has come a loooong way since then in a relatively short time. More than a quick changeover to EV stuff for cars, truck, construction, transport, etc, I can see a long transition period ahead.

If someone can give me a 4wd pickup truck or Jeep that can do the same things my current pickup and Jeep can do, great. I promise to have an open mind.

That said, I'm thankful to have lived in a time with the vehicles we have now and big loud V8 engines, and diesels, and manual transmissions. I'll miss that stuff when it's gone. It's the world I know. But if EV is the future and it does make the world a cleaner place, then I don't see why it shouldn't be the future.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Right now EVs are a mostly a statement made by people that want to show that they are “saving the planet”, at least here in so cal.

As for myself, until electric trucks are able to make the 350 mile trip to Phoenix or go the weekend in the dessert wheeling without running out of battery, I am not interested.

I am sure in my lifetime EVs will be viable, but at the moment...not so much.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Right now EVs are a mostly a statement made by people that want to show that they are “saving the planet”, at least here in so cal.

As for myself, until electric trucks are able to make the 350 mile trip to Phoenix or go the weekend in the dessert wheeling without running out of battery, I am not interested.

I am sure in my lifetime EVs will be viable, but at the moment...not so much.
Agree with the statement for tree hugger comments.

On 95% of the days I drive my truck, an electric truck that could go 120 miles on a charge and re-charge overnight would be fine.

On the other 5% of the days, I am driving 200 miles plus, often 400 miles plus, and/or towing a trailer. On those days, a 300 mile plus range with no more than a 15 minute full recharge time is a must.

I think the recharge time is as critical to the range to making a truck capable of filling the needs of the average truck owner. I don't know what an average car owner does, maybe they don't need range or re-charge times like I do.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The EV market has places it fits and places it does not fit.

For trucks urban use and fleet use there is a market if you can price them right.

But for the average truck user it is just not a good fit yet. The game changer is when we can fully charge in the time it takes to fill a tank. Also wh3n we can fill about anywhere.

But there are things like going off road where if you run low on power there is no jerry can of electric you can dump in.

Also yes a EV will have monster torque but how long can you drive as using full torque will kill the battery so much faster. Like a Tesla doing Quarter miles, yes it is fast but after a few rounds it is time for a charge.

Like many things in life some things fit some areas better than others and we will see this happen here.

The key is to make EV tonthe point it will not change your habits and life style.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Electric vehicles, trucks included, will be the meat and potatoes of all manufacturers. The question is when? Even long haul trucking will not escape its grasp. How far into the future before trucks will be able meet consumer expectations? A very long way away from today’s current technology.

But, at 66 I don’t expect to see that day. So, going back to the question if that future was now would I own an electric truck? Hell yeah!

Gusto!
I had heard that it could happen as early as 2023. You might get to see it. One problem that I can see, is half the payload could be tied up in battery weight.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I had heard that it could happen as early as 2023. You might get to see it. One problem that I can see, is half the payload could be tied up in battery weight.
Yea, but if they put the weight on the bottom, you can climb steeper hills. The ZR2 people are gonna love that!!! >:)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm interested. Part of the problem with EV sales is image. Most are seen as queer looking, geeky cars that no real man would drive. An electric F150 could change that. I think the target market is the hugely increasing number of people who haul nothing and only buy trucks for size, comfort, safety and image. For me, diesel is king but really, an electric truck would work very well for me almost always. The big question is towing. I can't imagine an EV truck ever towing a big fifth wheeler.

·
Registered
435 Posts
You might not be so ignorant of the subject if you used any other search engine other than Bing. For goodness sakes use duck duck go. Bing is just garbage.

Bing is the Yugo of the search engine world.

As for EV truck. I would buy one in a heartbeat. My truck is my main commuter I commute 2 days a week 35 miles. 3 days a week I drive 5 miles to the train station.

I would love to be able to cover those distances without having to stop for gas all the time. Oh and not using as much gas HELL YEAH screw OPEC and all the oil companies.

I think big rigs will go electric sooner than non-commercial. Then again move tiny amounts of freight around the country via trucks is stupid, to begin with, Thank Teamsters for that BS.

Moving freight via tractor-trailer is 3 times as costly as moving it by train (5.1 cents per ton mile for train vs 15.6 cents per ton mile for tractor trailer). It makes no sense to be hauling 90% of the goods in trucks all the way across the country. Trucks should be used from train hubs out to 4 hours from them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Um, no. EVs only exist to placte the enviro-hippie crowd. Disposing of EV batteries will be the equivalent of 1980's nuclear disposal, and if I'm a first responder to an accident involving an EV ...might as well call in a hazmat unit. I'm happy to burn dino remains.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will definitely consider one. I've owned two Volts and leased a Leaf. The Leaf (all electric) had a range of around 90 miles. I put 30,000 miles on it in two years. Never was scared I would run out of range. EV's now are 250+ mile range which is crazy considering that the 90 mile range was good in 2013 (besides buying a 100K Tesla).

As far as battery disposal, what do all your power tools, computers, tablets, phones use? They didn't open lithium mines for EV batteries lol.

The Rivian truck is going to be built local to me so I fully support their efforts. Cool truck, not for every use case.

EV's aren't for everyone. I like having a choice and cringe at people that drive an EV for image rather than enjoying the driving characteristics, etc. I will keep my diesel ZR2 for quite a while, and probably switch back to an EV to replace my wife's SUV in the next few years. Makes sense for our situation and I have no issue having to plan to charge somewhere if necessary. Not a hassle to me.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I use a truck for truck stuff every day. I also have a Volt. If GM made a Colorado tomorrow with something like the Voltec setup I would buy it as soon as the dealer opened.

It would be the absolute best setup for a truck. Serious torque. Battery juice for 50-100 miles and a hybrid mode for longer trips or the extra power needed to tow.

EV's aren't necessarily a gimmick. I didn't buy the Volt to save the planet. I bought it because it is a damn fantastic driving car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Their seems to be a little more interest in Electric Trucks than I thought. One of my big hobbies is stock trading and trying to understand future trends (like electric vehicles) is a key part of that.

Obviously, my theory is invalid if they invent a better battery for these electric vehicles but that's unlikely. I still don't get what an electric truck buyer would do with it besides commute to work. We already have electric cars that are awesome for commuting to work. What value does an electric truck add beyond that?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts