Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From this:

To this in about 3 hours:

It raised my front 2 1/4" inches exactly. The back was raised about 1 1/4". But I have the topper and a DECKED system which adds a lot of weight in the back. Plus all the contents of the DECKED drawers. I have the EIBACH spacers for the rear and I will probably install them later, but I wanted to see how it looked like it was.

This is a very easy kit to install. Everything bolts on and aligns. The only hard part is the passengers side rear top shock bolt. The stupid DEF take prevents you from getting the bolt out easily. I must have spent 1 of the 3 hours on that alone.Trying different angles, trying to loosen the DEF tank to get some clearance, etc.

No review yet on how it wheels or handles on the road, but I should have an update on both after the weekend.

Last night I installed the Prinsu roof rack which is also pretty easy to do. And a couple nights ago I added the ZR2 skid plates, also easy to do. Other than a light bar, some LED's the truck is pretty much stock still. But I have a pile of parts and accessories in the corner yet to do.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Man, I wish they would have had the fully assembled coil overs when I was shopping around. Did those sway bar end links come with it? The only other aftermarket option I have heard of, on this forum, after installing a lift is the Prothane. Curious if those are for purchase by themselves or not.

Truck looks great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I wish they would have had the fully assembled coil overs when I was shopping around. Did those sway bar end links come with it? The only other aftermarket option I have heard of, on this forum, after installing a lift is the Prothane. Curious if those are for purchase by themselves or not.

Truck looks great!
No that is my stock sway bar end which just happens to be in the picture. This project started as the 2" cheap spacers from Rough Country which required me to compress the coil spring to flat (took me 3 hours to do just that). Then I still barely got the Coil hat on. And it lifted the truck over 5 inches with the upper spacer and the lower spacer and bent a strut as the control arm was at maximum extension. I had no suspension with their kit I got one sway bar back in, the other one was nearly an inch short so I left it out until I had a plan

I threw the rough country stuff across the yard, said f*** it, went online and ordered the Eiback Pro Coilover 2.0 coilover kit you see in the first picture and installed it about 3 hours with very little difficulty.

I do have an update. The rear shocks from Eibach aren't enough for it to be level, I am going to need to add the spacers. I don't think it is the Eibah's kits fault, I have at least an extra 600lbs on the rear of this truck so without that I imagine it would be level.

So far it feels great. It is not as bouncy as the OEM, but it is still smoother than my Tacoma ever was.

·
Registered
2018 Z71 ext cab 3.6L
29 Posts
So they did come assembled. Hmm interesting. I didn’t know that they did. Where did you order them from may I ask? Looks great.

·
Registered
Stock Onyx Black GMC Canyon, 2019 CCSB, V6
24 Posts
Looking nice. I'm putting my 2.0 kit on as soon as the stupid TPMS sensors for the new wheels show up, nice to hear that you had no issues. I'm sure I will though cause i'm also doing freedom offroad UCA's and I have bad luck lol

So it raised it 2 1/4 inch with the out of the box perch position? No adjusting it up or down on the threads?

·
Registered
9 Posts
With the extra 600# you might be better off with the add a leave on the rear spring pack. It will raise the back apx. 1"

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
No that is my stock sway bar end which just happens to be in the picture. This project started as the 2" cheap spacers from Rough Country which required me to compress the coil spring to flat (took me 3 hours to do just that). Then I still barely got the Coil hat on. And it lifted the truck over 5 inches with the upper spacer and the lower spacer and bent a strut as the control arm was at maximum extension. I had no suspension with their kit I got one sway bar back in, the other one was nearly an inch short so I left it out until I had a plan

I threw the rough country stuff across the yard, said f*** it, went online and ordered the Eiback Pro Coilover 2.0 coilover kit you see in the first picture and installed it about 3 hours with very little difficulty.

I do have an update. The rear shocks from Eibach aren't enough for it to be level, I am going to need to add the spacers. I don't think it is the Eibah's kits fault, I have at least an extra 600lbs on the rear of this truck so without that I imagine it would be level.

So far it feels great. It is not as bouncy as the OEM, but it is still smoother than my Tacoma ever was.
hey you’re off a little here. The rear Eibach shocks do nothing to lift the truck. They are capable of 1-2” of lift IF you lift the truck. You have not installed the lift blocks which is why your truck has not changed rear stance.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Looking nice. I'm putting my 2.0 kit on as soon as the stupid TPMS sensors for the new wheels show up, nice to hear that you had no issues. I'm sure I will though cause i'm also doing freedom offroad UCA's and I have bad luck lol

So it raised it 2 1/4 inch with the out of the box perch position? No adjusting it up or down on the threads?
Hit up mike peak with Peak Suspension. He works with Eibach in his own kits as well as selling Eibach. He set me up nicely. he will pre set them however you like. He’s on this forum as: @PEAKMIKE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hit up mike peak with Peak Suspension. He works with Eibach in his own kits as well as selling Eibach. He set me up nicely. he will pre set them however you like. He’s on this forum as: @PEAKMIKE
Unfortunately I've already got the 2.0 kit direct from eibach because everything on peak suspension is on back order for like... forever. Would've liked to support peak but oh well.

To my knowledge the kits are identical though, minus the available pre-set heights from peak

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So they did come assembled. Hmm interesting. I didn’t know that they did. Where did you order them from may I ask? Looks great.
Yes, Eibach has two options the Stage One where you assemble your struts and shocks from them for $626

Or the Stage 2 for $899 where they come assembled, or the Stage 2 with rear shocks for $1099.

I ordered direct from Eibach, but Tirerack sells all this too for the same price. However they are out of stock with TireRack, so they ship them from Cali to Indiana first, the tire rack reships them so it was going to take two weeks. And EIbach has good customer support on the phone if you have questions. Also Eibach will do the install for $450 with allignment at their shop in Cali if you live nearby. So don't let a shop tell you it is gonna be 2.5 hours per side. You don't need to remove the A-Arms, sway bar, skid plate, etc.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With the extra 600# you might be better off with the add a leave on the rear spring pack. It will raise the back apx. 1"
I am aware of that, but right now I can't find them anywhere. Same story as everyone, order it and pay and we'll hold your place in line (and your money) till October.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes I went with out of the box, which looking at the threads I would say is 70% towards the top. Eibach told me they ship at about 2" to level the truck.

Also it is a threaded tube as you noted. Some people have mentioned perches, level 1, level 2, etc. There are no pre-set levels. It isindefiantly variable. I guess you just count the threads on the shock body?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey you’re off a little here. The rear Eibach shocks do nothing to lift the truck. They are capable of 1-2” of lift IF you lift the truck. You have not installed the lift blocks which is why your truck has not changed rear stance.
They do raise the rear on their own, and I had to push the rear axle down to get them in about 1/2". Eibach told me they would raise it 1.5" without the blocks, I got 1.25" but again, I suspect the weight that I have accounts for that 1/4" somewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes I went with out of the box, which looking at the threads I would say is 70% towards the top. Eibach told me they ship at about 2" to level the truck.

Also it is a threaded tube as you noted. Some people have mentioned perches, level 1, level 2, etc. There are no pre-set levels. It isindefiantly variable. I guess you just count the threads on the shock body?
Thanks I was curious about the height out of the box. I plan to just use a metal mm ruler at the bottom threads to measure, but the initial setting gives me an idea of the thread adjustment to ride height change ratio

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I was curious about the height out of the box. I plan to just use a metal mm ruler at the bottom threads to measure, but the initial setting gives me an idea of the thread adjustment to ride height change ratio
You can adjust them after you install them without removing them. You just have to jack the truck up and take off the tire and turn the collar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can adjust them after you install them without removing them. You just have to jack the truck up and take off the tire and turn the collar.
Right. But say I adjust the collar up .2 inches, that doesn't mean my ride height goes up .2 inches.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right. But say I adjust the collar up .2 inches, that doesn't mean my ride height goes up .2 inches.

It not a 1-1 relationship because you are dealing with a hypotenuse triangle. As h gets bigger c moves up by a factor of related to the length of b. (ignore a and y, they don't exist for this explanation)

It the same reason why if you add a 5/8' thick spacer to the the top of your shock like RC sells, you get one inch of lift.

This is why I said that the way they ship, I would say you will get 2.1-2.25" of lift. And they appear to be crank up 1" with about 1/2" more they could be cranked up.

Since I haven't had my alignment done yet, I will go ahead and take some measure in mm of the thread body and stuff. and total lift possible. Then I can see how hard they are to spin as well.

While I am sure my alignment is off with what I did, it is not noticeable as in the truck does not track funny or anything. I guess the alignment shop will give me a read out if I recall. But I don't know if my alignment was perfect to begin with either.

My wheels and tires are stock 265/60/18, which should be the same as 265/70/17 or very close. I think 275's would rub on full steer on bumps. I do have 1.5" spacers on their as well that I forgot to mention.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Lol ok 😂- if that’s the case the shock is bottomed out. Trust me man. The rear shocks are compatible with a lifted truck. You lift these trucks in the rear with:
A: blocks like you have in kit
2: a new leaf pack
D: some guys do shackles
5: I think an add a leaf will possibly provide lift as much as the leaf itself and take some arch out but I’ve never messed with them.
Then you get the appropriate shock that has the additional the travel you now need.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, for those of you that have these they don't come with instructions. They do come with a nice set of stickers with one that says to go to their website for instructions, which the instructions are here:

I showed this to the shop and they said well that is not what the GM instructions said and that is why they said it would take 2 days. These instructions are spot on. Except I did not remove the undertray because I have ZR2 skid plates instead of it. If someone came to me with this kit and I had a garage with a lift and air tools, I would have it done in under an hour. And I would not consider myself overly mechanically inclined. I've never replaced a shock or strut on anything.

The only GOTCHA is that damn DEF tank in the way of the rear shock bolt which non-diesel people should not have to deal with.

I am beyond happy with the ease of installation, the ride on road etc. I took it to Breckenridge tonight on the interstate, or that is what they call it even though it is rougher than some forest service roads. I would say the ride is slightly harsher than OEM. However if you did a blind test on someone, I doubt they cold determine which was which driving the same route, same truck, etc.

My CV angles all look good. I have the diff drop kit too, but I did not install it yet. I am not sure I am going to. I have 10k left on the PT warranty. I just had a front axle replaced that the CV joint broke in with no lift, so how much worse can it be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol ok 😂- if that’s the case the shock is bottomed out. Trust me man. The rear shocks are compatible with a lifted truck. You lift these trucks in the rear with:
A: blocks like you have in kit
2: a new leaf pack
D: some guys do shackles
5: I think an add a leaf will possibly provide lift as much as the leaf itself and take some arch out but I’ve never messed with them.
Then you get the appropriate shock that has the additional the travel you now need.
I am going to do the blocks in the morning. I ran out of time last night. Unfortunately fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I work fulltime jobs from 4-5am till 5-6pm 5 days a week. Then I work a couple hours at a car wash at night Then I do side hustle jobs; construction, cut and sell firewood, etc. I live in a condo and don't have a driveway or a garage so working on a truck is tricky as the snotty HOA says you can't even change a flat tire or jump a dead battery in the lot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts