Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of folks debadging their trucks, so I thought I'd share a way to do this with almost no effort.

Kano Labs makes a paint-safe degreaser called Floway, and this literally melts away the foam backing and adhesive. I won't say the letters quite fall off, but you can peel them off with your bare hand. Soak it down and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Any remaining adhesive vanishes if you lightly rub it with a soft cloth sprayed with a bit more of the product. Obviously this also removes any wax, so clean and reapply after badge removal.

Definitely easier than heat guns, Simple Green, floss, and anything else I've tried over the years.

I'll also mention another great Kano product -- Kroil. It's an amazing penetrating oil. When I restored the suspension on my 55 Buick, there were many nuts and bolts that hadn't budged in over half a century. A tiny shot of Kroil and a few minutes later they came out as easily as if they were new. No exaggeration. A friend had given me a spray bottle of the stuff, they use it to disassemble salt-water-corroded ship fittings. When I ordered a gallon (which is a lifetime supply), Kano threw in a can of Floway for free.

No, I don't work for them. :)

https://smile.amazon.com/Kano-Floway-Engine-Cleaner-Aerosol/dp/B005XUIX9C?sa-no-redirect=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA?sa-no-redirect=1

·
Registered
317 Posts
I see a lot of folks debadging their trucks, so I thought I'd share a way to do this with almost no effort.

I'll also mention another great Kano product -- Kroil. It's an amazing penetrating oil. When I restored the suspension on my 55 Buick, there were many nuts and bolts that hadn't budged in over half a century. A tiny shot of Kroil and a few minutes later they came out as easily as if they were new. No exaggeration. A friend had given me a spray bottle of the stuff, they use it to disassemble salt-water-corroded ship fittings. When I ordered a gallon (which is a lifetime supply), Kano threw in a can of Floway for free.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kano-Floway-Engine-Cleaner-Aerosol/dp/B005XUIX9C?sa-no-redirect=1

https://smile.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA?sa-no-redirect=1
I work in the Power/Gas industry and Kroil is all we use. It is AMAZING stuff. Best penetrating oil I've used/seen. +1

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Any chance you could post pics of all sides of your truck? I have been thinking about doing this but am wondering if the truck will look too...naked. Then I see your pic above and I start thinking that perhaps my truck my want to run through a field a little naked.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any chance you could post pics of all sides of your truck? I have been thinking about doing this but am wondering if the truck will look too...naked. Then I see your pic above and I start thinking that perhaps my truck my want to run through a field a little naked.
I think it's a very clean look. Besides, Chevy isn't giving me any advertising kickbacks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow! That looks great! I was hemming & hawing over removing the Colorado emblems, but I may just do it now since I know it is easier than I thought. That is such a clean look, plus one less step when waxing/polishing.
Thanks for this!

·
Registered
56 Posts
my 2016 colorado with 3700 miles i have been thinking of de-badging but wonder if the there will be a outline of the badges after it is done, truck is in perfect condition and would hate to have a nasty surprise if it didn't work out for me, what are the odds of it going wrong for me ?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my 2016 colorado with 3700 miles i have been thinking of de-badging but wonder if the there will be a outline of the badges after it is done, truck is in perfect condition and would hate to have a nasty surprise if it didn't work out for me, what are the odds of it going wrong for me ?
Shouldn't be, as long as you get all the glue off and wash/wax after. It's just 3M foam tape. If you're talking about faded paint vs uncovering fresh paint, mine was an early 2017, and I bought it used. It had a little over 8K when I removed the badges. It was a repo from some Mexican framing crew so I doubt it was garage-kept before I got it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
That does look good!

I removed the 4x4 sticker on my Colorado the day after I bought it. Peeled right off and no need to do anything special to the paint. I don't have anything against the sticker, I just think it looks better without it on a darker colored truck. The red just popped too much.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Anyone who wants to send me their take off "V6", PM me. I can paypal you some $.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just did mine in the summer after the sun baked them for a few hours. Rolled the summabitches right off and removed the residue with goo gone.
I used Goo Gone for the V6 emblem before I remembered I had this other stuff on the shelf.

The Kano product is sort of a weapons-grade version of Goo Gone.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Kano Labs makes a paint-safe degreaser called Floway, and this literally melts away the foam backing and adhesive. I won't say the letters quite fall off, but you can peel them off with your bare hand. Soak it down and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Any remaining adhesive vanishes if you lightly rub it with a soft cloth sprayed with a bit more of the product. Obviously this also removes any wax, so clean and reapply after badge removal.

Definitely easier than heat guns, Simple Green, floss, and anything else I've tried over the years.

That’s WD40 on steroids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.