Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Educate me on exactly how the oil change % works

5K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  valvecovergasket 
#1 ·
I have 910 miles on this oil yet the DIC says that the oil is down to 31%. I am at a loss for why this is, when book says 7500 mile OCI. Yes, I did reset it. Yes, it was reading 31% before I disconnected the battery and draining the def tank. Yes, it was reading 31% after I reconnected the battery and drove it for a day. It has not been run much this year and not idled either.

So, is time factored into the computer also for oil changes ? It is the proper Dexos 2 oil. So what gives ?

Thanks for the insight.

#3 ·
It has not been run much this year
Time also affects the oil life. It will count down and reach 0% at exactly 1 year. So if you did your oil change roughly 8 months ago, even though you've only driven 910 miles, you've used 69% of your oil life.

Also, there is no active oil analysis, so it doesn't matter if you use the proper Dexos 2 oil, or the right viscosity, or synthetic versus conventional, it's purely based on time and engine revolutions.

#7 · (Edited)
Well I was going to show you the graph of my oil % remaining from chevrolet.com, but that graph no longer displays so instead I'm spending minutes of my remaining life messaging chevy customer support in vane knowing full well they know nothing about IT and will probably miscommunicate the issue up to their manager who will miscommunicate it to someone else and 8 telephone games later it will be "customer said directions too complicated. Ceiling fan involved"

#8 ·
Reactions: 93Duc and hyperv6
#9 ·
Croft Country Chevrolet Buick GMC is a ALVA Buick, Chevrolet, GMC dealer and a new car and used car ALVA OK Buick, Chevrolet, GMC dealership - Maintenance

Based on data collected over decades of extensive powertrain testing, GM engineers have developed sophisticated algorithms that reflect how time, engine speeds, engine temperatures, load, and other factors affect oil life.

How To Use Your GMC Oil Life Monitor - GMC Life.
This is the deal.

The OBD2 computers collect a lot of engine info and they use it to determine the life of the oil. It works well and actually will safely get you more miles from a oil change.

The one factor not involved is dirt. If you are in extreme dirty environments you may shorten the cycle but all the other parameters are covered.

Some folks still have old habits but todays engines and oil can go much farther today.

#11 ·
Okay, I admit I’m a dinosaur. I just write down my mileage and change it at the intervals I decide to. What I really like about these new fangled vehicles and their computers and algorithms and whatnot is they makes me feel very proactive as I never go as long as they say I can. If I do slide past my mileage where I’m due, no guilt, I’m still ahead as far as the manufacturer is concerned. It’s all good.

#14 ·
In one sentence you say you NEVER go as long as they say you can, then you contradict yourself by saying "If I do slide past my mileage where I'm due". No, it's not all good. The truck monitors things you don't and can't. Things that effect the life of the oil. The truck is smarter than you are when it comes to this area. If you want to take proper care of your vehicle, change your oil when the DIC tells you to. Remember, dinosaurs are extinct for a reason.

#13 ·
Just changed mine today at 7,423 miles showing 9% I have never ran out of time

#17 ·
It's not so much the oil but the additives whose shelf lives and time usage are limited. But it's your truck and you can run Johnson & Johnson baby oil in it if you want. I'd just ignore my advice from now on and do whatever the heck you want, if I were you.

#16 ·
Most of us had vehicles without reminders. I think if we just stick to what we all have done, we will be just fine. Clean engine is a happy engine, just like all the other fluids and filters. BUT found hell of deal on K&N oil filters for my truck on clearance at Walmart. I snatched them up quick!

#18 ·
Well seems to be that it is recommended that you change your oil at least 2 times a year regardless of mileage.

Attached a bunch of links to read.

It is recommended to get your oil changed at least twice a year, even if you haven't driven those thousands of miles that are normally recommended. Oil, like anything, degrades over time, and if you have oil degrading in your engine for months and months and months, that's not good for your vehicle

Do you still need oil changes if you don’t drive a lot?.

Even if you don't drive very often and you're not hitting the recommended mileage interval, it's best to get your oil changed twice a year.

Even If You Don’t Drive Often, It’s Best to Get Your Oil Changed Twice a Year

Calkins said manufacturers recommend changing the oil every year for those who drive fewer than 6,000 miles per year. Owners should not let their oil last longer than a year because it can contain moisture and other contaminants, especially when the oil is frequently exposed to colds and short trips.

It is imperative to change engine oil to maintain superior performance and improve engine durability as per the maintenance schedule for particular vehicle models as the oil property of the engine deteriorates with time & usage.

Oil that has not been changed for a long time will begin to gel or solidify in an engine, eventually turning into sludge once it has been exposed to the environment. This will result in oil starvation in crankshafts, bearings, camshafts, and other valve train components if the oil is not able to reach all parts of the engine.

The best oil change interval for your car is twice a year, even if you don’t drive very often and you don’t meet the recommended mileage interval. You may be able to get by with your oil, but the real problem is the moisture in your engine.

Is It Necessary To Change Engine Oil Every Year? – McNally Institute

Reactions: Tom S.
#19 · (Edited)
Soot buildup and the potential for additional wear caused by the soot in GDI & Diesel engines has lead me to change at 50% life. If anyone thinks that is a waste of money...good for you, that's just me, not advice, do your own research and arrive at your own conclusions.

#22 ·
Bought my truck new in 2017. First oil change at 2,000 miles to get the "break in " oil out. next oil change at 5,000. Then decided to let the milage minder calculate when it needed done. Was getting about 7,000 to 7,500 miles between changes. did that about four times and when I picked the truck up from the dealer the mechanic had put a note on the bottom of the invoice that the oil was extremally dirty. I first I was pissed because I thought what the hell, I'm doing what the truck recommends. Then I thought, what the hell, I'll just do it every 5,000 miles like I do and have done with all my other vehicles. Now it has 115,000 miles. Needs half a quart at about 2,500.

Reactions: shootist~
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.