Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

121 - 140 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
One thing I posted on GMAuthority I wanted to bring over here:

"I think they both made the right call. Edelbrock achieved 85% of the gains for 60% of the cost. This is the reason I bought the Edelbrock kit. It is a better value. If money is no object, sure, buy the Mallett. Or do an L83 swap [and cam it and make even more power with tons more overhead] which is probably more rational in that price range."

I don't dispute that the Mallett kit is objectively better I just don't think it hits the right value mark. Edelbrock made some tradeoffs to get us a solid kit at the right price point.

Again, we're talking $4500 shipped (4k if you tune yourself) vs $7400 shipped. I got mine when there was a 10% off special but now they have the $500 rebate instead which still gets us to $4500.
I think you summed up a lot of our thoughts pretty nicely here. The Edelbrock kit sounds like it is running a conservative / safe-ish tune and amount of boost for good reliability, which is exactly what guys like me would want. Not that the mallet isn't safe either...just saying. If this kit proves to be a good kit for the money, then hands down my money is going to Edelbrock. $7,800 is not something I can stomach on a vehicle like this, but $4,500 on the other hand, feels much more reasonable. Supercharger kits of these kinds of vehicles need to focus on value or they will never have a chance to sell. The percentage of Colorado / Canyon buyers that would do this is so very tiny to begin with.

By the way, how does the 13.6 ETA you have gotten compare with other cars at that track, such as a stock Camaro V6 or SS? I know the Camaro V6 has gone into the lower 13s stock, but at some tracks you likely don't see them running much better than high 13s or low 14s.

·
Vendor
150 Posts
RIPP is not available yet but I think will end up being the best option if making a fast truck is your goal. With centrifugal we can run basically as much intercooler as we want and keep those intake temps low low low. Heat soak will be less of an issue because the intercooler isn't just sitting there, with a direct physical path to absorb all of the heat of the entire engine - with these twin screw superchargers the intercoolers are mounted to the manifold which is mounted to the engine and just sit there sucking up all the heat, and adding more load to the heat exchanger. (to edelbrocks credit, only the end tanks of the air/water intercooler physically touch the manifold, but still...)
RIPP is not available yet? If you're talking about their V3 Vortech set-up, I had the RIPP kit installed on my previous '16 Colorado. Thing screamed like a banshee and just kept pullin'.

·
Registered
598 Posts
RIPP is not available yet? If you're talking about their V3 Vortech set-up, I had the RIPP kit installed on my previous '16 Colorado. Thing screamed like a banshee and just kept pullin'.
For the LGZ. The Edelbrock is only for the LGZ as well.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think you summed up a lot of our thoughts pretty nicely here. The Edelbrock kit sounds like it is running a conservative / safe-ish tune and amount of boost for good reliability, which is exactly what guys like me would want. Not that the mallet isn't safe either...just saying. If this kit proves to be a good kit for the money, then hands down my money is going to Edelbrock. $7,800 is not something I can stomach on a vehicle like this, but $4,500 on the other hand, feels much more reasonable. Supercharger kits of these kinds of vehicles need to focus on value or they will never have a chance to sell. The percentage of Colorado / Canyon buyers that would do this is so very tiny to begin with.

By the way, how does the 13.6 ETA you have gotten compare with other cars at that track, such as a stock Camaro V6 or SS? I know the Camaro V6 has gone into the lower 13s stock, but at some tracks you likely don't see them running much better than high 13s or low 14s.
lightly modded g37s running about 13.9. Didn't see any v6 stangs or camaros. 2015 GT running 13.1s

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m strongly considering going the Edelbrock route on my truck. It probably won’t be until next spring, but I’m up in the mountains and I feel like I could use a little extra oomph that I lose due to altitude. This isn’t for a racing application, just daily driving so I’d like to avoid meth and keep it reliable.

I have a couple concerns related to the stock tune. It sounds like we can’t change the tire size programming since the program is locked, it sounds like the radiator fan speeds need to be turned up for DD duty, and it sounds like the tune that comes with it runs super rich, which from my understanding can be just as bad as too lean.

It sounds to me like a custom/dyno tune is needed. Function you’re the only one posting in here with first hand experience, so would you agree?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I’m strongly considering going the Edelbrock route on my truck. It probably won’t be until next spring, but I’m up in the mountains and I feel like I could use a little extra oomph that I lose due to altitude. This isn’t for a racing application, just daily driving so I’d like to avoid meth and keep it reliable.

I have a couple concerns related to the stock tune. It sounds like we can’t change the tire size programming since the program is locked, it sounds like the radiator fan speeds need to be turned up for DD duty, and it sounds like the tune that comes with it runs super rich, which from my understanding can be just as bad as too lean.

It sounds to me like a custom/dyno tune is needed. Function you’re the only one posting in here with first hand experience, so would you agree?
Yes, you need a custom tune to change those things. Basically they send you a locked tuning device with the more expensive kit but the tune (once installed) can be read and modified by anyone with an actual MPVI2, VCM suite and 4 credits. total cost of that is $500 to DIY. You could just buy the non-carb kit for $500 less and I'll send you the base tune files and you can buy the tuner and credits and be in control of your truck. (you'll need to read and license the stock tune from your truck first (never license a tune file from another vehicle!) and copy all the table changes yourself into that file and I'm not going to walk you through it, it's not rocket science, but be warned)

The truck isn't in any danger with IATs getting up to 150 when you are sitting in traffic with a ton of heat soak, it just wont launch hard because it pulls timing in that temperature range, but as soon as you start flowing air, it cools down almost immediately. It's more of an issue at the drag strip where you need to launch hard after sitting in the staging lanes. or at a stop light race, in mexico, I guess.

The water/meth actually makes it MORE safe, as long as you don't tune for it, for but nobody running the stock tune and pulley needs to do water/meth it's all very conservative.

It only runs rich when you're in power enrichment which is at about 65% throttle or greater on the stock edelbrock tune. This is desirable, It helps keep EGTs cool. I should also mention that what it commands, is not necessarily what it gets.

So long story short, the stock tune is just fine.

I'm somewhat interested in seeing what I can do to get my IAT1s down. For some reason the IAT at the airbox gets up to 15-20 degrees above ambient, despite pulling air from the fender which should be ambient.

I'm also seeing a small amount of vacuum before the supercharger. Pre supercharger MAP drops from 14.4psi to 13.6psi as I approach redline, suggesting some restriction at the throttle body, intake tube, maf, or airbox, with the airbox being the most likely culprit. But how to replace the airbox with another airbox with a perfect MAF tube that requires no recalibration? My buest guess right now is that the GM performance one is the most likely to have the proper MAF tube design.

I'm still trying to figure out many of the tables in the ECM. One thing that's interesting about the edelbrock kit is that there is no MAP sensor that sees boost. So the tune is of course purely MAF driven in boost. Curiously they did install a TMAP sensor that could read boost, but it is only used/wired for temperature. I haven't figure out how/if this impacts the torque model. I can only see boost off an analog gauge I have tee'd off the line to the bypass actuator. (this is how I realized it's only making like 4-5 psi of boost before it begins retarding the intake cam timing)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the info. That actually helps out a lot. I’m not looking to race it, even down in Mexico, so it looks like that tune would work for me.

I obviously have some more research to do and I have some time to do it before pulling the trigger, but it definitely looks tempting. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just did a couple pulls on water meth (purely safety, no timing advance or leaning done) and the 3.5 pulley. This is better. Can chirp my new grabber uhp's in 2nd gear. The whine is louder and hits some sick notes at 6,800 RPMs. Can't wait to go back to the track.
Hit 13.4 and 103.5 mph today. Some lessons I learned, Heatsoak sucks! Setting the fans to run on high constantly solves the heatsoak in long staging lines. Water meth does in fact prevent knock. Removing 4 percent fuel in the upper bands of power enrichment picked me up another mph (with the water meth) that's about as aggresive as I want to get for now.
Thanks for all your sharing. I just got my Edelbrock kit installed today. I’m gonna do a write up as there is so little info out there on this kit so far! Your info was very helpful.

Agree Mallet is overall a “better” kit, will make a bit more power, and probably a better long term life expectancy. But for $3000 less and free shipping to Hawaii from Summit, very happy with my choice for Edelbrock

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yup. Mallet has some serious competion in the pricing department. If gas would plummet and stay down Id supercharge in a heart beat.

·
Registered
598 Posts
@FunctionOverForm What tires and size are you running? You have the mph for 12's.

Also, if someone made a 3000 stall converter, that could bring the 60ft waaaayyyy down.
255/55/18 Grabber UHP - Borderline summer tire.

I am struggling with traction and my initial, right of the line, launch is very soft. DRs and brake torquing would probably push me over into the 12s.

I relocated my battery to the back of the bed to help a little with launching - 40lbs from the front to the back is a 2% change in weight distribution.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I challenge anyone to explain the mechanism that makes increased mpg possible.
I believe the theory is the increased HP aided by the increased octane level causes the engine to work less hard to achieve the same results. In theory, at least, it sounds plausible but I'm skeptical of all "increased mileage" claims unless supported by firm before/after dyno data from an independent third party.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Its true. You can gain mpg with a turbo or supercharger. Its no 1800 myth.

Most people dont see it because theyre heavy footed.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Supercharger, There's no way. It takes energy just to turn it. Even in bypass mode it's not free. There's nothing you could do to increase mpg with a supercharger that you couldn't do better with a tune only. Which is fine, because that's not the point, it's about the power.

I'm flowing 45lb/min at 7000rpm. Ludicrous. Theoretically 450hp. Minus about 30hp to turn the supercharger, basically like having the 6.2 in a Colorado.

121 - 140 of 153 Posts