Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
One thing I posted on GMAuthority I wanted to bring over here:

"I think they both made the right call. Edelbrock achieved 85% of the gains for 60% of the cost. This is the reason I bought the Edelbrock kit. It is a better value. If money is no object, sure, buy the Mallett. Or do an L83 swap [and cam it and make even more power with tons more overhead] which is probably more rational in that price range."

I don't dispute that the Mallett kit is objectively better I just don't think it hits the right value mark. Edelbrock made some tradeoffs to get us a solid kit at the right price point.

Again, we're talking $4500 shipped (4k if you tune yourself) vs $7400 shipped. I got mine when there was a 10% off special but now they have the $500 rebate instead which still gets us to $4500.
I think you summed up a lot of our thoughts pretty nicely here. The Edelbrock kit sounds like it is running a conservative / safe-ish tune and amount of boost for good reliability, which is exactly what guys like me would want. Not that the mallet isn't safe either...just saying. If this kit proves to be a good kit for the money, then hands down my money is going to Edelbrock. $7,800 is not something I can stomach on a vehicle like this, but $4,500 on the other hand, feels much more reasonable. Supercharger kits of these kinds of vehicles need to focus on value or they will never have a chance to sell. The percentage of Colorado / Canyon buyers that would do this is so very tiny to begin with.

By the way, how does the 13.6 ETA you have gotten compare with other cars at that track, such as a stock Camaro V6 or SS? I know the Camaro V6 has gone into the lower 13s stock, but at some tracks you likely don't see them running much better than high 13s or low 14s.

·
Vendor
145 Posts
RIPP is not available yet but I think will end up being the best option if making a fast truck is your goal. With centrifugal we can run basically as much intercooler as we want and keep those intake temps low low low. Heat soak will be less of an issue because the intercooler isn't just sitting there, with a direct physical path to absorb all of the heat of the entire engine - with these twin screw superchargers the intercoolers are mounted to the manifold which is mounted to the engine and just sit there sucking up all the heat, and adding more load to the heat exchanger. (to edelbrocks credit, only the end tanks of the air/water intercooler physically touch the manifold, but still...)
RIPP is not available yet? If you're talking about their V3 Vortech set-up, I had the RIPP kit installed on my previous '16 Colorado. Thing screamed like a banshee and just kept pullin'.

·
Registered
512 Posts
RIPP is not available yet? If you're talking about their V3 Vortech set-up, I had the RIPP kit installed on my previous '16 Colorado. Thing screamed like a banshee and just kept pullin'.
For the LGZ. The Edelbrock is only for the LGZ as well.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think you summed up a lot of our thoughts pretty nicely here. The Edelbrock kit sounds like it is running a conservative / safe-ish tune and amount of boost for good reliability, which is exactly what guys like me would want. Not that the mallet isn't safe either...just saying. If this kit proves to be a good kit for the money, then hands down my money is going to Edelbrock. $7,800 is not something I can stomach on a vehicle like this, but $4,500 on the other hand, feels much more reasonable. Supercharger kits of these kinds of vehicles need to focus on value or they will never have a chance to sell. The percentage of Colorado / Canyon buyers that would do this is so very tiny to begin with.

By the way, how does the 13.6 ETA you have gotten compare with other cars at that track, such as a stock Camaro V6 or SS? I know the Camaro V6 has gone into the lower 13s stock, but at some tracks you likely don't see them running much better than high 13s or low 14s.
lightly modded g37s running about 13.9. Didn't see any v6 stangs or camaros. 2015 GT running 13.1s

121 - 124 of 124 Posts
About this Discussion
123 Replies
35 Participants
FunctionOverForm
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing