Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is absolutely, positively, NOT true. Period. You put a Mallett blower on your truck and your engine warranty, and possibly the rest of your drive train warranty is over. Furthermore, when Mallett told me they (Mallett) would stand behind any engine damage done by their blower and I asked for it in writing, they refused.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I joined the forum with a 2019 Bison. At 1300 miles installed Mallett blower(Chuck installed), 4"pully, full exhaust...388 rwhp...130 over factory. I'm not going to race this thing (I have an M3 and an HP4 for adreneline) and it's not my daily driver, but it reliably could be. I just wanted a little more giddyup in the beast. I'm posting about warranty cause I'm not sure how this warranty thing is so hard to understand based on some of the comments I read.
If your powertrain from radiator to rear end has an issue with Mallett system (actually any reputable blower) and you have a friendly dealer...emphasis added (meaning a gearhead service manager) they will evaluate the problem and if it can be determined it's a GM issue same will be submitted under warranty (if its an unfriendly dealer u may be f'd even if it is a GM issue) If it's a blower issue the blower warranty will be your remedy, and every blower should offer one on factory timeline. Carefully catalog the issue, have perfect, verifiable service records, and with dealer verification submit the matter to blower company. If you have a reputable blower company, such as Mallett, the issue will be reviewed and if your clear the issue will be made right. Clear means the computer (the little black box) will have in its memory what you were doing at the time of failure. If at that moment you were setting the track record at the 1000 foot mark this is probably on you.
As for the rest of the factory warranty with a blower your still covered. If the wipers stop working or door handle falls off go get it fixed under warranty if still under 3/36.
Blowers aren't cheap but with Mallett you will get the best...1900 cfm magnuson rotors, Eaton ends, 2gallon dedicated coolant reservoir, 88 degree air temp at the intake and field test by toughest...Mallett himself on his current ZR2 desert runner.
As for me, money..well..spent, truck is a$$kickin.

·
Registered
512 Posts
"88 degree air temp at the intake"

Well that has more to do with the weather than anything else.

I want to know what you are seeing post supercharger. I'm seeing ~135 degrees as I go through the trap at the end of a 1/4 mile pull on a 75 degree day. Really pretty impressive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Function, ill never be in a situation to test air temps in your scenario. You running a Mallett blower?
If I remember right Mallett indicated the 88 degrees was the temp reading from his zr2 during CARB certification in CA. In normal summer driving 88 degrees downstream of the blower going into the motor. If you have Malletts blower you know the system has a dedicated 2 gallon coolant reservoir that has a radiator brick under the intake that blown air goes through into the motor that also circulates through a dedicated radiator behind the grill. It's pretty impressive.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the edelbrock. I've thought about a larger reservoir, it would be an easy peazy upgrade but it's not clear to me if/why it would be a benefit (other than putting in ice for a drag pull, but that's a PITA, and I'm doing water meth.)

·
Registered
512 Posts
That moment when you realize that you wont need low compression pistons because DOHC VVT masterrace yo. -25 degrees of intake phase provides a pretty significant reduction in effective compression ratio.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Just did a couple pulls on water meth (purely safety, no timing advance or leaning done) and the 3.5 pulley. This is better. Can chirp my new grabber uhp's in 2nd gear. The whine is louder and hits some sick notes at 6,800 RPMs. Can't wait to go back to the track.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You're not getting massive knock with a 135ºF IAT?
Nope, and If I did I would just tune the IAT spark adjust table. But as it stands, no timing is taken in that table until about 145, and quickly ramps to -5 degrees at 156ish.

135 is really quite cool for a supercharger, it's also running pig rich (despite my expectations that it wouldn't be), with a commanded afr around 10.7

This is all before my water meth, which now bring temps below 120. The longer it runs, the cooler it gets. Supercharger is now cool to the touch after runs, until it heat soaks from the engine anyway.

And like I've mentioned earlier, -24 degress intake timing reducing the compression ratio a bit (piston travel vs crank rotation is goofy).

If the cam phase retard is not measured relative to the crankshaft in the table (1 degree of cam angle equals 2 degrees of crank angle), then we could be looking at reducing compression up to 20%! If not, then it's only 5% (again - piston travel vs crank rotation)

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hit 13.4 and 103.5 mph today. Some lessons I learned, Heatsoak sucks! Setting the fans to run on high constantly solves the heatsoak in long staging lines. Water meth does in fact prevent knock. Removing 4 percent fuel in the upper bands of power enrichment picked me up another mph (with the water meth) that's about as aggresive as I want to get for now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Supermod guy that ports & polishes our throttle bodies said $140. Got a spare coming in and will sent it off to him and see how it is.

The last gen colorado guys seemed to love theirs.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rangerscott, not a shot at you since you didnt write it but that was literally the weakest article i've read in a while. And the $4500 supercharger will probably cost $7-8k from Lingenfelter. Better off going with Mallet at that point.

TLDR: Lingenfelter is installing Edelbrock superchargers on ZR2's and calling it a "Performance Package". Nothing else informative.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Can't stress enough what a huge difference setting the fans to a higher setting does for IAT in traffic, when idling, etc. The fan strategy is based off ECT temps and the fans just sit there running at 4% because the ECT never really goes up. Crank that up to at least 20-25% and it helps immensely. I mean like 120 with the higher fans vs 155 without after 5 minutes of idling. This is one of those areas where I think a larger heat exchanger coolant reservoir would actually be worse, not better,

·
Registered
512 Posts
I should mention that after thinking over the dynamics of VVT, the lower effective compression ratio of highly retarded intake cam timing is not as exciting as I first made out.

While yes we lower the compression we also lower the effective displacement. Basically the Atkinson cycle.

We're essentially turning a 3.6l engine with an 11.5:1 compression ratio into a ~3 liter engine with a ~9.5:1 compression ratio but with a 3.6l power stroke. Crazy stuff to think about.

Even crazier yet, even though we dynamically reduce the compression/displacement of the engine as we further retard intake timing, the supercharger does not give a flying F. It still wants to move the same amount of air per revolution, so effectively the observed boost goes up as we further retard the intake timing. The supercharger is still going to try to force roughly the same volume/mass of air into the smaller effective displacement, this negates alot of the normal power loss you would see with Atkinson cycle operation. This has the interesting effect of also giving us control of how we navigate through the compressor map of the supercharger. If it would be more efficient to run a higher pressure ratio at a given flow rate, we can make that happen by adjusting the intake cam timing. NUTS!

So even though I observe about 7-8psi of boost at redline on the boost gauge, It's actually only about 4-5 psi equivalent on 3.6l of effective displacement with no intake phase adjustment (I'm just kinda ignoring VE to make the conversation easier). Which makes the gains we see, exactly what we would expect at that level of boost. And really makes the whole thing, safe as kittens, 5psi aint nothing. 33% more air minus a little power to turn the blower, minus a little VE loss, minus a little IAT related tune adjustments (less timing, richer) gives us 25% more power. Exactly what you would expect!

I love when things make sense.

All this to say, I was wrong, low compression pistons would still be very beneficial.

·
Registered
512 Posts
One thing I posted on GMAuthority I wanted to bring over here:

"I think they both made the right call. Edelbrock achieved 85% of the gains for 60% of the cost. This is the reason I bought the Edelbrock kit. It is a better value. If money is no object, sure, buy the Mallett. Or do an L83 swap [and cam it and make even more power with tons more overhead] which is probably more rational in that price range."

I don't dispute that the Mallett kit is objectively better I just don't think it hits the right value mark. Edelbrock made some tradeoffs to get us a solid kit at the right price point.

Again, we're talking $4500 shipped (4k if you tune yourself) vs $7400 shipped. I got mine when there was a 10% off special but now they have the $500 rebate instead which still gets us to $4500.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One thing I posted on GMAuthority I wanted to bring over here:

"I think they both made the right call. Edelbrock achieved 85% of the gains for 60% of the cost. This is the reason I bought the Edelbrock kit. It is a better value. If money is no object, sure, buy the Mallett. Or do an L83 swap [and cam it and make even more power with tons more overhead] which is probably more rational in that price range."

I don't dispute that the Mallett kit is objectively better I just don't think it hits the right value mark. Edelbrock made some tradeoffs to get us a solid kit at the right price point.

Again, we're talking $4500 shipped (4k if you tune yourself) vs $7400 shipped. I got mine when there was a 10% off special but now they have the $500 rebate instead which still gets us to $4500.
I like the value vs durability vs performance argument coming from mountain bikes, it's always the same run down. Unless you're dragging and need top top. Value should always be spoken for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
So on the value side, what about Ripp? A friend of mine mentioned them to me right when I got the truck but I'm planning on keeping this thing stock for a while. Was curious what the deal with them was.

Side note, the water injection is interesting as far as cooling things down but I'd bet the distribution between cylinders isn't great... I've seen a few like that. Manifold doesn't promote mixing too well lol.

·
Registered
512 Posts
RIPP is not available yet but I think will end up being the best option if making a fast truck is your goal. With centrifugal we can run basically as much intercooler as we want and keep those intake temps low low low. Heat soak will be less of an issue because the intercooler isn't just sitting there, with a direct physical path to absorb all of the heat of the entire engine - with these twin screw superchargers the intercoolers are mounted to the manifold which is mounted to the engine and just sit there sucking up all the heat, and adding more load to the heat exchanger. (to edelbrocks credit, only the end tanks of the air/water intercooler physically touch the manifold, but still...)

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
About this Discussion
123 Replies
35 Participants
FunctionOverForm
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing