Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys is there another way to remove the headlight bulbs, my arms are to big :p "not fat" to squeeze it the small space, they will but my arm looks like I put it in a shredder, I would like to change to Silverstars but what a pain to reach them, i did this last night and got stuck on the passinger side, now I have a 4" gash in my arm, this will be fun at the gym tonight,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Per various sources, you can remove the grille. Actually though, I watched the dealer through their service bay window and they don't remove the grille. They stick their arms down in there. Since then, I have done my own without removing the grille. The first time, my arms got all scratched up as well. I now wear long sleeve shirts to do this job. As simple as it may seem on paper, it is definitely a difficult one to do, especially the driver's side.

Dealer - $44 for bulb and labor.
Me - $8 for bulb and scratches.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem I have is I have to force my arm in the small space and then try to twist my hand to get to the socket, Oh well lets see "get the silverstars and change them out twice a year, or stay stock and change one in 5+yrs or so" dang on the 04 silverado the whole headlight comes off with only two pins, takes about 1min on each side to change bulbs, the colorado took me 2min to get to the plug, and then you have to do it blind trying not to touch the bulbs,

·
Registered
873 Posts
First time I changed my bulbs I did the whole jam-your-arm-down method. About two months later, the bulb I had just changed burned out.

Second time around I pulled the grill and headlights completely. 2 years later, still running the same bulbs.

Both times they were Silverstars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
3 out of 4 bulbs look like easy reaches behind the grille so changing high beams to SilverStar should go smooth. I'm too cheap to toss working bulbs but at some time, I'll make that upgrade.
Grille removal calls for unclipping the large lower clips including two that you have to angle your way into the fender with a long screwdriver to do.javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused Other than just guessing, how are the large clips supposed to be removed? :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts