Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and have been doing some searches to see if anyone post ed an easy way to tap-in for my Wayfarer (with compass, in/out temp, altimeter, etc).

I had it in my '99 Wrangler (my '04 has a mirror w/compass and temp) and just connected it up to the fusebox in the cab. The Colorado has only an underhood fusebox and I wondered if there was some place I could tap in under dash so that the Wayfarer would work when the ignition was on.

Can anyone tell me the location of a hot wire that I could reach without taking the dash apart?

Also is there a location that I could fish the temp sensor through in the firewall?

Thanks

·
Registered
540 Posts
For the power, the easiest place, other than just plugging into the cigar lighter, is to tap into the sun roof circuit. If you don't have the sun roof, the wiring is still there.

Just pull the plastic cover off of the "A" pillar, driver side, by the windshield. There will be a yellow/cream colored wire in there. If you have the sun roof, it should already run up to there, and have a fuse installed. If not, it will be taped up, down low on the wiring harness running up the pillar. You can tap in there, and just install a fuse in the fuse box in the right position.

I did the same thing for some of my wiring. The power is on the RAP, or Retained Accessory Power system. It will turn on when you turn the ignition on, and turn off when the RAP power shuts off.

Someone wrote up a tutorial on how to do it a while back, you might need to search on it.

As for getting through the firewall, it's pretty easy. There is a big rubber grommet where the wiring feeds through. You will need to make a new hole in the edge of the rubber, just seal it up with silicone or some sort of sealant. Here it is on my work truck:

Hard to see, but it's the gray covered wiring on the right side. The top of the picture is the firewall. the Right side of the picture is the drivers side of the truck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Does the pillar covering just pull off or is there a trick to it?

BTW, thanks for a great post with pics. I am on a lot of forums but the search feature here seems to pull up a lot of extraneous posts. I guess I have to get used to it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I got it. I found a tread that said to pull the pillar parallel with the window and then turn it to claer the dash. I had to slip a screwdriver blade between the door frame and pillar to get it loose, but it popped off easily.

For anyone who may come upon this thread in a search, the following may be helpful.

The cable bundle has a white connector with 2 wires--that is for the dome light.

The sunroof wire is about 1/4 up from the bottom; folded and taped. I connected the + of the Wayfarer to it and grounded to the attachment where the pillar fits by putting a screw in an empty slot after scraping the paint from the area.

I popped a fuse in the sunroof slot and when I turned on the ignition, the Wayfarer lit right up. I'll run the temp sensor in the next few days.

Much thanks for your help, coyote. It is greatly appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts