Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
As of now , only 10% ethanol is recommended, not because your engine can't handle it, but be cause the acidity of E85 is so high that it begins to break down the rubber, etc, seals in the engine and fuel system. This company explains alot of this in better detail and has results on the protective products tested by NASA, army corp of engineers and others.

http://xcelplus.com/E85/e85informationcenter.htm

GM has also told me that, for what it's worth, when running E85 in a vehicle that has not been factory set-up to run E85 the pistons are prone to tuliping, ( instead of looking like the base of the wine glass they look like the top of it.) and should be replaced with pistons that can handle E85 fuel conditions.

Hi. As I read this I had someone, who used to work for a refinery down here when we had Gasohol, saying it used to eat up the rubber gaskets on cars. And our fleet forman saying that since Hawaii went to E10, they are running into many problems with our fleet. This thread started an interesting conversation though.

Yea, on older carby cars the diaphragms and such in the carbs would get eaten up if you used the Exx gas. Most rebuild kits come with Exx safe rubber so it's not such a big problem anymore.

In Delaware all of our gas stations are that E10 stuff. I never had a problem with it going throught my truck but my 4 wheeler ran like crap and so did my dads truck for a little while until the motor got use to it

now i noticed something while running e-10 in mine... i'll get a noticeable miss.... however if i switch back to reg. gas, the miss is gone but i get a knock i swear i can't win

Discussion starter · #26 ·
My own update for this thread... Massachusetts has gone 100% E10 now.. I have no choice but to run it now since I believe it is a state law that gas stations have to carry it..

There is another thread on this site detailing the properties of ethanol and its effects on performance and starting..

Just my opinion but E10 seems to act sluggish during high humidity days.. and starts are harder for the truck when it is 50 deg f or colder..

Oh well, what can you do? :)

ummm I don't know about the harder starts I haven't noticed any difference in CO over the winter versus summer. But you lose 3% of your gas mileage (hardly noticable that is doing math with energy content).

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I do not know what to tell you exactly.. I used to start easily.. Then E10 was at EVERY station, then it started hard. Once the temps went above 60 it got better and now starting is not an issue in summer temps..

I will deal with it further when the truck does not start at all. :D

We've had E10 fuel at the pump for +10 years in the Inland NW. It first started to appear during the winter months. It is now added year round. Personally, it makes no difference to me.

I was in South Carolina this week and it was almost a dollar more than regular unleaded. Regular was around $2.70 and the E85 stuff was $3.65

CDC i get the same result as you... and i concur... stick with 100% gas if you have the option....

Discussion starter · #36 ·
CoolDaddyColeman said:
ethanol= the suck

1.Worse gas mileage
2.Double cranks sometimes in the morning
3.Runs rougher

reg gas= everything is ok
I agree.. From one tank of gas to the next sometimes is a huge difference in performance and mileage since E10 has taken over up here in the Peoples Republic of MA. Makes tuning the truck much more difficult..

The double cranks I am running into a lot more now!! SUCH BS!! :evil:

i work with a engine diagnostic tech. he said the double cranking in the morning is something that alot of vehicles are doing now a days. Ethanol evaporates alot faster so in the morning it is pushing the vapors through. I heard that some states might go towards a 20/80 mix. That would be the suck.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
thehemi said:
What's the reasoning for the E10 deployment?
Reduces emissions? Lessen need for real gas?
Your questions got me thinking more about this... So I started diggin.. A little thing called the right to know act in MA.. :)

Read the last paragraph closely.. Wtf.. :roll:

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopstermina ... csid=Eeops

Reformulated Gasoline

ADVISORY
To: All Heads of Fire Departments
Date: April 7, 2006
Re: Reformulated Gasoline

The current gasoline additive MTBE is being phased out in Massachusetts and elsewhere in New England. The MTBE additive is being replaced with ethanol.

After the conversion, gasoline will contain 10% ethanol (E10). This should not be confused with motor fuel containing 85% ethanol (E85). The E85 fuel was the subject of a recent email advisory from the International Association of Fire Chiefs.

In preparation for the conversion, most underground storage tank owners are having their tanks cleaned. This cleaning process is conducted by petroleum or tank service companies. There are several cleaning processes currently being used. During these processes sludge and water is removed from the tanks. Because ethanol acts as a solvent, failure to clean the tanks may result in significantly compromised fuel being introduced into vehicles. This would be of particular concern for emergency vehicles.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
http://www.mass.gov/dep/public/press/levfinal.htm

For Release:
January 9, 2006

Massachusetts Enacts Strict New Vehicle Emissions Standards
New vehicle standards must cut harmful air pollutants by model year 2009

Secretary of Environmental Affairs, Stephen R. Pritchard today announced the adoption of new motor vehicle emission standards designed to produce cleaner air and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Massachusetts. The new rules, which adopt the latest California Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standards, require that new vehicles delivered for sale in Massachusetts meet strict auto emission standards.

The standards took effect on December 30, 2005, and will apply to new vehicles sold in Massachusetts beginning in late 2008 when automakers release the 2009 model year vehicles. As a result of these new standards, reductions of vehicle greenhouse gas emissions of 18% are expected by 2020 and 24% by 2030.

“Motor vehicles are a major source of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in our state and, with these new rules, we are taking a significant step in cleaning our air and improving the quality of life in the Bay State,â€

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.