Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for you first time DIY oil changers on V6. Drain plug warning. The drain plug in the oil pan is 90 degrees to the bottom of the pan. That is it is straight out the side of the pan. When you pull the plug, the oil will go right across the top of you ketch pan and land on to your wheel and lower a suspension and land on your nice concrete garage floor or driveway. Don't ask me how I know this. The reason I was changing my own oil is because after driving 1400 miles back to Florida this summer and sorting out my accumulated paperwork I discovered that the tire store that I allowed to change my oil installed 0-20 weight oil. That oil only goes in the 4 cyl and only in extreme cold climates. I've been told a check is in the mail. When I looked thru the waiting room window I wondered why there was oil all over the floor under my truck. I had a good laugh and didn't think too much about it. I changed the oil myself and now I know why I saw oil all over the floor. FYI.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Low viscosity oil probably made it worse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I'm planning on installing a Fumoto F-107 Oil Valves on my 2017 real soon.
I know installing these causes the oil to drain slower due to the size of the hole, but I typically open the lever, and come back hours later to finish the job.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
It's slower but not that bad, I can change my oil and filter in 20 minutes, 15 of that is letting it drain. You'll never regret the fumoto valve.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is for you first time DIY oil changers on V6. Drain plug warning. The drain plug in the oil pan is 90 degrees to the bottom of the pan. That is it is straight out the side of the pan.
I've not changed the oil on my Colorado yet but I've dealt with other vehicles with that type of setup. I've made cardboard deflectors to direct the oil into the drain pan.

Reactions: Tweek and Joedude

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
This is for you first time DIY oil changers on V6. Drain plug warning. The drain plug in the oil pan is 90 degrees to the bottom of the pan. That is it is straight out the side of the pan. When you pull the plug, the oil will go right across the top of you ketch pan and land on to your wheel and lower a suspension and land on your nice concrete garage floor or driveway. Don't ask me how I know this. The reason I was changing my own oil is because after driving 1400 miles back to Florida this summer and sorting out my accumulated paperwork I discovered that the tire store that I allowed to change my oil installed 0-20 weight oil. That oil only goes in the 4 cyl and only in extreme cold climates. I've been told a check is in the mail. When I looked thru the waiting room window I wondered why there was oil all over the floor under my truck. I had a good laugh and didn't think too much about it. I changed the oil myself and now I know why I saw oil all over the floor. FYI.
lol I don't have to ask how you know this. I'm guessing it's the same reason I know this!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I'm planning on installing a Fumoto F-107 Oil Valves on my 2017 real soon.
I know installing these causes the oil to drain slower due to the size of the hole, but I typically open the lever, and come back hours later to finish the job.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
I’ve had a Fumoto in my previous truck. Loved it!! I’ve ‘kinda’ retired from doing my own oil changes and why I haven’t bought one for this truck. I’m gonna let the dealer do the work - pending their service & attitude, I could go back to doing it. I’d buy a Fumoto in a heartbeat!!

·
Vendor
148 Posts
If you order the EZ Oil Drain valve (EZ-107) for a 2016 Colorado, don't forget to order the Adapter (A-107) with the valve. I didn't order the adapter (duuhh) and had the truck on the lift and the drain plug pulled - only to find the valve doesn't fit. I had to change the oil and re-install the original drain plug, so now I'll have to wait for a while to install the set-up. Called the Company and they said the truck has a "recessed" oil drain so they sent me the adapter. Told them they may want to make that a note for the 2016 Colorado ordering information on their website.
Hope that helps . . .

P.S. I also ordered the 90 degree adapter so the oil will drain straight down instead of sideways. Won't be a clearance problem for me. I don't have skid plates.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I use a Wedco drain pan tilted on an angle for a minute and lay it flat after the initial surge subsides.
Not a drop of oil on the garage floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can anyone confirm the A-107 is needed for the 2017 V6 ?

I haven't change my oil yet, so I had better order one for just in case.

What's the Torque on the Oil Bolt ?

Thanks for posting...

Keith

Marietta, GA

I ordered it but honestly haven’t even gone under the truck yet. I’ll be doing my first oil change In about 2 weeks so I will reply back then if no one else has answered.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I don't see the problem. I thouroughly enjoy spilling oil everywhere, creating a mess on my driveway, making more work for myself and seasoning the experience with expletives
I can’t believe the OP posted about it. Seriously? That’s one of those best kept secrets.

Every newbie has to experience the fire hose gusher - it’s the only way you learn. I’ve never even changed the oil on my Canyon, but I know exactly what the fire hose gusher is all about. LOL

Shhhh!! Stop sharing our secrets!! LOL

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I have not had this problem. Then again, I've done so many oil changes over the years on so many different car/trucks. Many had the horizontal drain plug.

I have several triangular shaped drain pans and move one point way off to the side the oil will spew out of. I mean, you can tell it surely isn't going to drain straight down.

And, yes, I always have several good sized pieces of cardboard to place under the pan anyway. Usually, no problem and not a drop spilled. The only time I have spilled much is transferring the drained oil into the large 2 gallon jugs I use for spent oil. The funnel I have has sometimes slipped out or I pour too fast and it over flows. Guess I need a new funnel. Also, have to empty those jugs more often. What with 3 vehicles, lawn tractor, motor cycle, etc. . . . I just took about 16 gallons of oil to the recycler yesterday.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.