Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you aren't in the facebook group, DT is feeling out interest in turbo upgrades. They've done some development already. Quite a few people around here have been waiting for one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/226675531020452/permalink/547119425642726/

It's worth letting them know how many people might be interested in a larger turbo rather than currently available compounds.

They also put a feeler out looking for someone who is ready to build bigger with a built engine, new manifold, and larger turbo.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Yeah I was talking to Nick about it a while back.

Last I heard he while he was happy with the prototype but he thought it could benefit again by being a little bigger still and went back at it.

Im totally going off presumption here but Im guessing that first wheel was the VM OEM Cheetah turbo wheel??? (which is bigger than GM let us have) and saw that it could still be better than that??

·
Registered
264 Posts
I’m interested also but not necessarily in being the test case. Mine is a daily and I don’t need a bent rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
when these trucks are tuned they are very nice to drive, but they could certainly use a whole lot more top end power to compliment the generous torque. I would follow along with this progress and would likely consider this as a future mod.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
They provided a dyno comparison of tuned only vs new turbo

Those seem to be the numbers I remember him quoting on the first prototype turbo. Was that posted recently?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those seem to be the numbers I remember him quoting on the first prototype turbo. Was that posted recently?
Today. That's emissions intact with their 41mm wheel. He said on the post I linked that they should also have a 44mm wheel if R&D goes well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would be interested but after it's been tested. Also doesn't he say that the trans is reaching its limits with the stage 4 tune that's in the Dyno graph. So are we going to be looking at a trans rebuild/upgrade along with these wheels?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would be interested but after it's been tested. Also doesn't he say that the trans is reaching its limits with the stage 4 tune that's in the Dyno graph. So are we going to be looking at a trans rebuild/upgrade along with these wheels?

I think the trans is probably fine. They use it in the CTS and Camaro. At most a torque converter

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah I was talking to Nick about it a while back.

Last I heard he while he was happy with the prototype but he thought it could benefit again by being a little bigger still and went back at it.

Im totally going off presumption here but Im guessing that first wheel was the VM OEM Cheetah turbo wheel??? (which is bigger than GM let us have) and saw that it could still be better than that??

I don’t think the GTB17 turbine has much more left in it beyond what the tunes are already doing. Simply tossing in the 56mm wheel from the GTB1756 won’t do much.

I am guessing based on the dyno he may have bumped up to a GTB20 or 22 hot side.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the trans is probably fine. They use it in the CTS and Camaro. At most a torque converter

With the V6s, so at most 300 ft lbs. Now with the stage 4 and a wheel your looking at 550. That's a pretty sizable increase, plus if they tweet the tune for the wheel they may gain even more. The graph is stage 4 with a wheel.

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Running compounds has shown the motor blowing before the trans on these trucks. I would be more worried about engine internals before the trans with those high numbers.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's what DT said on FB:

Jim Rendant: Will have 2 version available 41 vs 44 (assuming everything goes well in R&D) The 44MM version would be closer to the $1700-$1800 and my goal is to make the 41MM version that I have shown here about $1550-$1600.

Reliability will come down to the tuner and your decision to push the truck to XXXhp. A lot of my customers that are emissions equipped will enjoy this upgrade as they can now run their performance tune more frequently and operate the truck more efficiently on that tune (Less soot accumulation).

Controlling the torque curve is something that can be done through tuning. Do you want a truck to come on fast and blow the tires off or can you trade off some low end grunt for a smoother and controlled torque curve to keep the unknown bottom end limits alive?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are installing the wheel in a new stock turbo so that they can reliably machine, balance, and warranty the setup.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts