Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know where to start, but the one that caused me to post is an ongoing campaign from my local cable company. They've gotten into the home security business. The premise of the campaign is that you're out having a good time and the one thing that you're not thinking about is what's happening at your new home -- because you've got their security service.

I'm 73 years old and I've owned 4 homes. I've been the victim of a burglary. I've been the victim of a house fire. I can't remember ever being out having a good time and having it spoiled by worrying about what was happening back at the house. Maybe it's a generational thing?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Naw, I don't think it's generational.

I worry about that stuff all the time. Well actually I do things like alarms so I don't worry (so much) or it probably would spoil my fun. It's just a personality thing I'm sure, I do believe I'm a worry wart.

There are ads running right now by Allstate or something that are getting a bit silly. The 'save you from mayhem' ads. They are entertaining though. It seems to me these companies are trying to use fear to sell there product. But whatever, it's a free country.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
]
There are ads running right now by Allstate or something that are getting a bit silly. The 'save you from mayhem' ads. They are entertaining though.
yeah. My Mrs. doesn't get the "Mayhem" guy. I think he's funny.

I'm not even gonna bring up the ambulance chasers. "In a wreck? Need a check?" Call us at 1-800- SLEAZE.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
The ads are definitely geared to a different generation. I don't care what soap/soft drink/toothpaste/insurance etc. that someone else uses. Tell me what makes your product a better choice for me. And I will guarantee that the Fonz, Tom Selleck, and Fred Thompson never needed a reverse mortgage.

The new Ford Ranger ads are interesting to me in relation to the Chevrolet ads when the 2nd gen were released. Chevy targeted the guy who worked in an office all day and maybe he wanted to get away after a hard day at the office. Ford seems to be targeting the offroad crowd, to a large degree the same crowd that are comparing the Tacos and Gladiators. Seems to ignore a large segment of the market, since I doubt less than 10% of these trucks ever see anything more off the pavement than maybe a gravel road occasionally.

I love the DVR at my house. Fast forward though the commercials most of the time. We will watch something else already recorded while our favorite show is running, starting the favorite show from the recording 20 minutes after it started, so we finish watching the recording just about the time the live version finishes. You should hear the groans when we realize we caught up with the recording some times and have to actually watch a commercial.

Geico and Progressive are two other insurance advertisers that have really gone off the deep end with their commercials. Flo, the Gecko, the Mayhem man, and what ever silly animal being using this week do nothing but turn me off of those insurers. I will say that at least the Mayhem man may provide some good public service reminders sometimes, like the one with the lost cellphone that causes the wreck.

And you would think that advertisers would recognize that placing more than 2 ads for the same company in a 1 hour show is a waste of time. I guess they figure the they have to repeat ads to catch every person who might have taken a bathroom break or conducted a fridge break during the first 11 times they ran an ad in that one hour window.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I find some of these ads very funny, ins co's are outstanding. We all have car ins and home ins, that's a lot of dollars being spent. Sometimes I'm concerned about a house fire or my firearms collection being stolen, but I have alarms and good neighbors.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I love the DVR at my house. Fast forward though the commercials most of the time. We will watch something else already recorded while our favorite show is running, starting the favorite show from the recording 20 minutes after it started, so we finish watching the recording just about the time the live version finishes. You should hear the groans when we realize we caught up with the recording some times and have to actually watch a commercial.
Ditto, except we use a Tivo that will automatically skip commercials on most programming, provided the show ENDED at least 30 minutes earlier. So we try to wait even longer before starting to watch a program. Then, of course, there's the Super Bowl, where it has "game skip," which after the game is over allows you to skip through the game and only watch the commercials. And recording works well for other sports as long as you avoid learning scores, but you have to manually scroll through the commercials and breaks.

As to the comments, I'm in my 60s and have concern about what happens at my home when I'm away, but part of that is due to pets. But one thing I won't do is connect my security system (including both alarm and door locks) up to the Internet to have remote control. But I do have cloud based cameras, and Alexa will notify me if she hears an alarm sound. "Alexa, I'm leaving."

·
Registered
17 Posts
I find the Liberty Insurance TV ads pretty annoying . . . "I just clipped the other guy's bumper - no big deal, right? You could have fixed it with a PEN." Really? Not too clear on car repair costs, are we? Adding the fact that she's upset because her insurance company raised her rates after she hit someone else's car shows me you don't actually understand what auto insurance is, or how it works. Oh, and the other numbskull that ends her complaint about the same sort of incident (she hit someone else's car and her insurance went up) with "Hey, nobody's perfect . . . " Let's see how that holds up in court, sweetie.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't help but roll my eyes every time I hear the words "accident forgiveness" come through the TV speaker. It's not forgiveness. Check the rate difference between policies with, and without "accident forgiveness". I did. Here's a newsflash: YOU'RE PRE-PAYING FOR YOUR FIRST WRECK. Of course they can afford to not raise your rates after accident #1. It's because your rates are already inflated. It's unreal how many people fall for this, as they continually shove it down our throats, every hour on the hour. Yes, Liberty Mutual, I'm talking to you.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The Silver-RA do' commercials are annoying, same thing over and over, lighting up a led lamp post with the lpug iin the bed, whoop-dee-do

we like the turkey quiting smoking

I know people who have cameras on every corner of their house going to thier cell phone, but of course I would not live in that neigborhood...

·
Registered
388 Posts
I worry about it, mainly because my wife lives in our home in Virginia and I live in our home in Reno NV. In Virginia I have a senior dog and a blind dog and my wife works 12 hour shifts. My dogs in Reno are only home when I am home so not much to worry about there.

I just use Wyze Cams to monitor my home in Virginia. Wyzecams are $25 each for the stationary model of $37 for the PTZ (Pan Tilt Zoom) models. they can be set up in under 5 minutes. They are 1080p and have very good night vision.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The Silver-RA do' commercials are annoying, same thing over and over, lighting up a led lamp post with the lpug iin the bed, whoop-dee-do

we like the turkey quiting smoking

I know people who have cameras on every corner of their house going to thier cell phone, but of course I would not live in that neigborhood...
Both of my neighborhoods are very safe. Still doesn't mean **** can't happen.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Powered tailgate....."I need a fullsize Chevy pickup truck" but cant be bothered to actually open or close the tailgate...absolutely retarded....

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
most annoying right now besides the GM tailgate commercail is the "I swtched to Chevy" in that whiney voice. Fell sorry for the kids who have to listen to that voice all the time, oh, and the husband..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
Hunter62
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing