Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here we go - the first (second?!) Michigan Colorado/Canyon/ZR2 off-road meet and wheel trip! I'm not in charge of this but wanted to get a separate thread going so we could get some new people interested and keep all of the details in one place.

Dates: November 17-19th
Lodging: The Lodge (not official, you can book anywhere, but a couple of members are already booked here and they have a bar/bowling alley for Saturday night shenanigans)
Route: ORV Section by The Lodge + whatever else won't get us shot during opening day.

Semi-confirmed Members:
@G2SKIER + Jeep buddy
@DLS-001
@DetroitChris
@urs6e24
@YooperSooZR2
@ZR2fouryou
@ZkR2 + Friends

Planning to get into Drummond late on Friday to check into the hotel and meeting as a group on Saturday morning. If you don't want to stay Friday night, you'll probably want to get in early Saturday morning... Wheel all day on Saturday and then do dinner/drinks that night. I'll be leaving Sunday morning and heading south if anyone wants to caravan back into lower Michigan.

Looks like we're covered on recovery ropes, walkies, hi-lifts, traction pads... Feel free to bring any and everything you'd like. Note that you will need to take a ferry to Drummond Island so check out the website for timing and fees. It'll be cool to fill that bad boy with ZR2s on the ride back off the island!

We will have a range of experience and skill on the trip - I'm a newbie so if I can do it, anyone can... Just come on out and have some fun in the U.P.

Let's go!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks for starting this! I’d say you covered just about everything! As for the route, I’m meeting with the local this weekend. Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What's the good word?

Ok so he said the orv section owned by the hotel is actually really fun and challenging. He said to check with the dnr or locals to make sure we know of any trails to avoid to keep the local hunters happy on their opening weekend. Other than that, he said pack your recovery gear and tall boots and have fun!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ok so he said the orv section owned by the hotel is actually really fun and challenging. He said to check with the dnr or locals to make sure we know of any trails to avoid to keep the local hunters happy on their opening weekend. Other than that, he said pack your recovery gear and tall boots and have fun!

Sounds great! I just ordered some recovery rope and shackles and receiver hitch pin, so I know I will be set and/or able to help if someone needs a yank. Pretty much bare minimum. If someone has shovels/maxtrax we should be good otherwise can just grab kitty litter :rofl

·
Registered
345 Posts
Officially booked for Friday and Saturday night at the lodge. I have a party of 3 of us coming. Maybe will add one more. Looking forward to some good off-roading! On that note does anyone have a better air compressor? I just realized mine is super slow, but doable till I get an onboard air setup.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Depends on the time. We all have to work, so wouldn't be leaving until 3PM, maybe 4PM. If you guys are leaving around then sure! Otherwise can always caravan down ha.
We're probably going to leave during the day. Hope to get up there before the sun sets and the deer come out.

Officially booked for Friday and Saturday night at the lodge. I have a party of 3 of us coming. Maybe will add one more. Looking forward to some good off-roading! On that note does anyone have a better air compressor? I just realized mine is super slow, but doable till I get an onboard air setup.

I've got a MasterFlow MF-1050. It works pretty well for inflating tires. I'll be glad to share it around.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was just checking out the weather for this weekend.

Friday 38 hi / 37 lo, cloudy chance of rain
Sat 40 hi / 23 lo, periods of snow 1-3"
Sun 28 hi / 20 lo, cold possible flurries.

Guess ill be bringing layers with me.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yes bring warm and waterproof clothes. Northern Michigan is an unpredictable bitch.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
What time is the downstate crew thinking they’ll be going through Indian river?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love Drummond Island, been there wheeling many many many times. Due to deer season, note, the only legal times to be on the trail are 11a-2p. The hunters only get 2 weeks a year to hunt (with a rifle) and we get a lot more to go wheeling. If you aren't overly familiar with the trails, I would suggest to get a ORV map from the Bear Track inn (great place for breakfast) or from the resort (or really anywhere on the island that has them).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love Drummond Island, been there wheeling many many many times. Due to deer season, note, the only legal times to be on the trail are 11a-2p. The hunters only get 2 weeks a year to hunt (with a rifle) and we get a lot more to go wheeling. If you aren't overly familiar with the trails, I would suggest to get a ORV map from the Bear Track inn (great place for breakfast) or from the resort (or really anywhere on the island that has them).
Interesting on the 11-2 restriction. I contacted both the resort and DNR about trail availability and both said all trails were open but didn't mention a time restriction at all.

I guess we'll find out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Interesting on the 11-2 restriction. I contacted both the resort and DNR about trail availability and both said all trails were open but didn't mention a time restriction at all.

I guess we'll find out!
Good idea on contacting the DNR (the resort of course wants you up there so may not provide the "best" information). I know at some point in November, technically, the ORV trails turn into snowmobile trails as well, and even if there isn't any snow, you aren't supposed to be on them. Of course that doesn't make any sense - if there isn't enough snow to ride, why can't we use them, but thats how the law was written. The good news is, there isn't a presence of law enforcement (DNR or otherwise) unless there is something happening on the island or if they are doing a random check. So, its likely you won't run into anyone.

If you aren't aware, another good resource for wheeling info in Michigan is the Great Lake 4wd Association (GLWFDA) where these guys work for us in Lansing to try and get us more land and to correct "stupid" laws...

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.