Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies just sold his Ford 150 and downsized to a Tesla Model X suv. He recently made his part time photography hobby into a full blown profession so driving pretty much everywhere between Sacramento to San Francisco.

Long story short, after driving the Tesla, I can easily see the broad appeal. Man o man....I HIGHLY SUGGEST NOT DRIVING ONE unless you wanna go back to a regular "truck" and see how old fashioned the whole tech and driving is! I mean, the tech is just mind-blowing and so much interior room which is totally deceiving from the looks outside. Not to mention the quick acceleration (on the other spectrum of Prius..lol).

I honestly, think that this might be the future in the next 5-10 years. I didn't try the self parking feature but my friend often uses it and says its flawless. His also got the Dog mode and the newest update Tesla rolled out. Everything inside is just so polished and refined ..not just the tech but the feel/seating as well.

I went back to my Canyon and felt I went back 20 years in tech...lol.

I think when Tesla rolls out their truck under $50k, the market will really get interesting !

I highly recommend people to test drive Tesla just for the experience. If I had extra $50k buried in my backyard, I'd have probably ordered one as well!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
They are nice, 2 of our friends have the cars( the original ones) and I drove one of them for about 10 miles.
Ford/ Rivian will come out with their s next year, $70+k

sister just bought a Lexus LS Hybrid, that is one nice car...drove it to the ball game an back on just the battery

·
Registered
212 Posts
Look at the thread I posted today "The Avalanche Comeback" briefly reading the article talks about an electric pickup, 2020.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have no opposition to electric drive vehicles, but I worry about the range/ charge time. Long road trips remain a concern, especially in the deep south where the infrastructure is still not the best.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
I have no opposition to electric drive vehicles, but I worry about the range/ charge time. Long road trips remain a concern, especially in the deep south where the infrastructure is still not the best.
Tesla V3 chargers are quickly eliminating this worry as they will push ~185miles in ~15min.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
EV is exciting in many ways and if you live in an EV rich area it is easy to live with.

Now in most areas chargers are rare and often not near most routes. Charge times are still more than most are willing to wait and the added cost to purchase is more than most are willing to pay.

EV will continue to grow and as it does it will improve and cost will come down but ICE will be with us at least 30 years based on plans by the automakers. GM alone has two new ICE engines coming.

GM made a mistake by trying to make cheap EV cars. There is just no money in them and it is hard to get suppliers on board for products that make little to no money. They are now going to focus some Cadillac products on this and they should be able to get the price to where money can be made and as volumes grow cost will come down. It is like when they introed anti lock brakes and stability control it came first on Cadillac and Corvettes.

My SAE magazine for July Aug has much on the ICE drivelines and they speak to all the MFG and none are giving up on them. They expect the market by 2030 to be 1/3 ICE, 1/3 Hybrid and 1/3 EV.

The big hurtles is the lack of suppliers willing to invest. Most are not large companies and they have to take care in what programs they get involved with.

Also the expansion of infrastruture is a major hurtle. GM is working with outside vendors to supply charging stations. I think if they can get a full charge in the time to fill a tank of fuel most gas stations would just change over.

What is interesting is How GM anounced they are skipping Hybrids. They are just planning to do ICE and EV. VW stated the same. I think that is a good move for companies that can do their own deleopement.

On the other hand companies that are behind like FCA and limited in funds have to rely on Hybrid as they can not afford the full EV investments.

I just think trucks are limited in EV appeal for now. Most are in areas with no charging stations. Also if you off road Moab has no place to charge. It is not like if you run out of power you can just bring a Jerry can of power out to refill the battery.

GM needs a full size S model challanger now. That is where the money is at. Also some CUV or SUV model should sell well. Porsche has the Taycan coming and it will prove very popular as it is a good car but also it is a Porsche. These are image cars too.

Just my take on things. I have driven several EV models and I liked what I saw. One pedal driving is fun. Even the Hydrogen fuel cell I drove was impressive but too few places to fill and too long to fill yet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tesla V3 chargers are quickly eliminating this worry as they will push ~185miles in ~15min.

I understand. The issues is this:
I travel annually to the beach for vacation. That is ~250 miles each way. There is no superchargers on the route that would be feasible to stop at and the condos we stay at do not have power available to charge from.
For a commuter vehicle, sure it would be fine because it would probably do my entire week of commuting without needing to be plugged. But if the infrastructure is not there, it is not there. Some areas of the country have way more access than others.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Agree. The instant torque and smooth power of electric is amazing, but for many (including folks in our area) electric isn't a very feasible choice. For +250 mile distances, wait time for charging, and trying to map out charging stations or use some questionable app isn't what many find reliable.
It's just fine what Tesla, GM, Ford and others are doing in electric vehicle development, but it isn't quite there yet for many applications and regions in the country.
Touting what "will happen" is not yet enough for most American drivers to jump on the electric band wagon. I look at how many false starts GM and others have had with electric and hybrid and it leaves many with too many questions unanswered and uncertainties abound.
Hashing over the "Captain Obvious" concerns about Electric Vehicles is ludicrous and full of conjecture.
That said. . . in 10 to 20 years electric will likely make up a larger portion of automotive travel. But I still think it will be mainly in urbanized areas of the country and with limited sales in the utility vehicle market.
There are inroads being made to provide for charging stations and other electric needs. But it is kind of a cart before the horse situation now in many areas. People won't buy many electric vehicles if the power to keep them running is not readily available and in a faster and convenient way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
TFLCar recently posted 2 videos on the model X, in one of which they towed a 4500 lb trailer up the Ike Gauntlet. Pulling power was impressive, power consumption not so much. Pretty cool though!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Here is the problem with EV.

If Bo Darville the Bandit had used a Tesla over the Trans Am he would never have won the $80,000.
Charging times would have let Sherriff BT Justice catch up to him.

Then the Movie would have sucked and no one would want a Diablo Sandwich or learn to use profanity like painting with pastel colors. LOL!

·
Registered
510 Posts
For those who say no chargers re available, I'm just curious how much you have investigated. I guess we're spoiled because we are next door to Cali, but there are super chargers scattered everywhere and most major resorts and college campuses have non-Tesla charging stations.
Charging times are dropping, and the trucks I've seen are getting 250-300 miles with a 30 minute charge. After driving 250 miles, I'm okay with a 30 minute break to use the restroom, and get something to eat/drink before hitting the next 250 miles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They're cool for sure. There's a guy at our local AutoX who shows up to every event. That thing is really quick on acceleration (despite mediocre times overall because he tries to over drive the sh*t out of it) and they're a really nice quiet vehicle. What gets me excited is the fact that on exit under power, they will rotate under power, despite being AWD!

That said, for the $$$$, its competitors have better fit/finish, better interiors, have better panel gaps, and are generally more aesthetically pleasing (Audi, BMW, Volvo, Lincoln, etc). Setting aside all commentary about range and infrastructure, I just don't want to be driving a car that looks like space ship.

That said, for my day to day... yeah, I could totally rock an EV without any range anxiety at all. But our fleet would still include something that can do long comfy fast road trips (my wife currently has an Accord EXL and it's great at exactly that) and something that doesn't mind getting dirty hauling around mountain bikes/doggos that are dirty from play time or swim time or hikes (subaru wagon, or cheap truck, or something of that nature). Seriously... Pisgah sand gets EVERYWHERE in your vehicles when you spend regular time outdoors. So for me, if I were to commit to the EV life, I'd get a Nissan Leaf loooooooong before I got a Tesla. The price point just doesn't make sense for how it would fit into my life. Or I'd just pick up a used Honda Insight like a bunch of my coworkers have done and not have to deal with any compromises for my cheap DD tinycar.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Here is the problem with EV.

If Bo Darville the Bandit had used a Tesla over the Trans Am he would never have won the $80,000.
Charging times would have let Sherriff BT Justice catch up to him.

Then the Movie would have sucked and no one would want a Diablo Sandwich or learn to use profanity like painting with pastel colors. LOL!
Not if the bet would have taken place at the same point in development time for the internal combustion engine automobile.....say circa 1915 :p

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The reality of wide spread electric vehicle use is this.

Costs are still high for average to low middle income mainstream potential buyers even in many cases with the crutch of energy credits to purchase one.
The needs most people have for daily transportation and access and time to recharge will still be limited except in select urban areas for quite some time. There are "courtesy" charging stations I have seen here and there at some shopping areas and populous locations, but not enough for a large number of those who might need them. And the jury is out as to who will ante up to install and provide said charging stations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Toughsox
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing