Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Everything on a truck has a certain torque value. But on something like this there is good old common sense. The bolts are about 5/16 inches in nature so about 20 foot pounds would be a safe torque without overdoing it. Now most mechanics use a tried and true method of knowing when enough is enough. Just don't use a cheater bar on your wrench and you should be safe to go. If you were to use a torque wrench for everything you would never ever get anything put back together. Just use a good 6 point closed end wrench and you should be fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything on a truck has a certain torque value. But on something like this there is good old common sense. The bolts are about 5/16 inches in nature so about 20 foot pounds would be a safe torque without overdoing it. Now most mechanics use a tried and true method of knowing when enough is enough. Just don't use a cheater bar on your wrench and you should be safe to go. If you were to use a torque wrench for everything you would never ever get anything put back together. Just use a good 6 point closed end wrench and you should be fine.
They were not anywhere near as tight as I thought they would be. One of my other cars has a bolt with a 12mm head and the spec is 85 ft/lbs so I thought this might be similar and wanted an actual number just in case. 20 is probably pretty close though.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Fastener Tightening Specifications
Bolts - Center Bearing Support 59 lb ft
Bolts - Universal Joint Clamp Retaining (single and 2-piece propeller shaft-Front and Rear) 15 lb ft
Nut - Yoke Drive Shaft 123 lb ft

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the two very large factory service manual for the 2006 Chevy Colorado. I very seldom use them. I guess I should have went and got the torque spec for this fellow, but most mechanics don't use torque wrenches, other than engine assembly at best. I used my torque wrench more on transmission repair than anything. I always use it to tighten the lugs down so not to warp the rotors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts