Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, it turns out it's not the suspension at all. But the squeak is easily reproduced when you bounce the suspension or drive slowly over rough surfaces.

The source of the squeak (for me at least) was from one of the two emergency brake lines rubbing against the leaf spring bracket/frame. GMC did not find this problem, they said it was a bad bushing.
I was able to reproduce the squeak by slightly moving the cable. So I pulled the cable away from frame and zip tied and taped the two e-brake cables together. No more squeak when I bounce the suspension. Easy fix. How in the world does GMC not know about this. The signs of it rubbing are obvious. See pics.
Automotive tire Grey Rim Automotive wheel system Natural material

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
The E brake cable has been discussed in the past, not a common problem. Can be difficult to locate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our truck just came back from the dealer for a rear squeak also. Turns on it's the rear brake pads shifting. PIT5635B. Affects all 2015-2020 Colorado/Canyon. They regressed the brake pads and it's gone now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our truck just came back from the dealer for a rear squeak also. Turns on it's the rear brake pads shifting. PIT5635B. Affects all 2015-2020 Colorado/Canyon. They regressed the brake pads and it's gone now.
Is this problem in a service bulletin? My dealer won't do anything that isn't in bulletin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. My brakes squeak at slow speeds but this sounds like something different. My parking brake cable relocation has fixed my suspension squeak. Too many gremlins in this truck for my liking. I'm still waiting on a new ECM since occasionally my truck won't start. Fun.
Our issue happened mainly during low speeds also, whether braking or coasting. My wife bought the truck used around March 2021 with 41K miles. It currently has 47K. She works from home and doesn't drive it much. She just likes having a truck. First issue a couple months of owning it was clunking and rattling from the rear. Dealer fixed it with TSB regarding leaf spring inserts and retorqueing the u-bolts. Clunking went away but shortly after the squeaking started and I finally got so annoyed hearing it (with the windows up and music on) that I had her bring it in. I agree, seems like a lot of little gremlins. Hoping there are no more annoying issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts