Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the shim kit on a ZR2 to fix the driver's side lean problem? If so did you use this bolt or did you need a longer one and if so where did you find it? Thanks!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Auto parts stores should have an aftermarket bolt with the proper round head size, but they will probably have one length, real long made to cut to length.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @16WhiteColly. So I'm guessing it will take a longer one. I'm tired of the lean and since the dealership says the ZR2 isn't included in the TSB I've got to get it fixed.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
I doubt that you have much bolt threads sticking up above the nut, so it probably don’t have enough to add the shim. If the auto parts do not have the bolt, go to someone like 4 Wheel Parts, they will for sure. You will need to know the round head size, the threads may not be the same, but just get a matching nut from the hardware store. Will be doing that job soon on my son’s Canyon WT. search for lean on the site and you can find the head size. Not sure if it’s 1/2” or 9/16”, have read it here, but do not recall.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the bolt at home, I can throw the calipers on it and measure it. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The nylon lock nuts are one time use. The ubolts are fine to reuse is long enough.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Reading the service manual, it says alot of bolts are one time use. Even diff cover bolts. I know for ram trucks, the massive brake caliper adapter bolts are one time use

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why are you looking to add a shim to the spring pack instead of just using a block?

Because I have the "lean" issue and my driver's side sits lower than my passenger side. The shim kit is part of a TSB but apparently it doesn't apply to the ZR2 and I don't see how a block would fix that.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Because I have the "lean" issue and my driver's side sits lower than my passenger side. The shim kit is part of a TSB but apparently it doesn't apply to the ZR2 and I don't see how a block would fix that.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Replace existing block with thicker one on that side only! Longer u bolts also,,,,,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All of one's I've found go from 2" up to 2.5". The stock ZR2 is 2" (I'm almost certain) and going up to a 2.5" would cause a lean to the other side.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts