Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched a bunch of threads on the electrical problem that causes the driver side window and power door locks not to work. Here is a list of what i have researched:
1. Do nothing, it fixes itself
2. Replace a blown fuze
3. Reseat a fuze
4. Disconnect battery for certain times
5. Disconnect battery and discharge system by touching leads together
6. Replace master door window/lock switch

I have tried everything for 2 weeks now and i still have the problem. :evil: I went to the German dealer who has to coordinate with GM to ensure warranty work can be done(06 with 17000 miles). Is there any other fixes out there. I don't speak German, but when the technician saw the problem, it was clear that he gave me the deer in the headlights look. :shock: :?

Add any other fixes and maybe make a sticky? If it warrents it.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
You've listed all of the ones I've heard of people having to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My was doing the same and tried all of the things you listed. does your driver's door unlock with the key on outside?, if not your driver door lock actuator needs replacing thats what was wrong with my 05 canyon, after replacing the door lock actuator had no more problems (knock on wood)

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My key still opens and locks the door. Still waiting on GM for the warranty work.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 days at the German dealer and they called me to say it was the power window/lock switch. Hope that is the real fix, I will see when the part comes in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine just decided to not work anymore. Do I have any other choice then buying a switch from the dealer?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bang your head on the door, it worked for me

It stopped working, 2 days and i brought it to the dealer. I was real pissed and kinda hit my head on the door, went into the dealership and the tech looked at it and it was fine.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the switch was the problem. Works like a champ now. Wish they would have kept my truck through the weekend cause they gave me an 07 H3 as a loaner. Weird blue color with the dealer logo on both sides, but a nice ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
2005 Canyon

Mine started doing it a few weeks ago. It will stop working and then be working fine the very next day. There is also a problem with the illumination on the A/C control panel and the light control panel. They stopped working about the same time the door started having problems.

Of course, my truck recently hit 50,000 miles, so it's just going to start falling apart from this point. And GMC wonders why they can't keep the lights on. Bet the transmission starts slipping in the next 20K.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Had a somewhat similar experience 3 weeks ago. My wife used my truck to run some errands. When she got home she told me that the drivers window didn't work. I removed the switch and grabbed the wiring schematics. Using 2 jumper wires in the harness I could make the window go up and down.
Ok, motor works fine. Did some trouble shooting with a DMM and confirmed the problem was in the switch. I completely dissasembled the switch; it consists of the top cover/rocker switches, a rubber layer with 'feet', circuit board, and bottom piece. When you push or pull on the switches, the 'feet' contact the circuit board and complete various circuits. Didn't see anything obvious, figured something in the logic circuit went bad.
Anyway, I put everything back together and the switch worked. So far its still working. Maybe my wife got heavy handed when pushing the switch and one or more feet got out of position.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same problem. I posted in the audio forum because I put a amp in and thought I may have bumped something. I have still not found the problem.

Mods could move my post to here?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Old Thread but I am having this exact same problem. Have tried disconnecting the battery and touch both neg/pos together overnight. Took switch apart (no longer have working button lights). Still borked!

I love this truck but can't afford to waste money in buying a new switch. But if that is the solution, then I'll do it.

Anybody know for sure if this is the fix? half of my HVAC lights don't work too, like Philisitic mentioned.

philistic53 said:
2005 Canyon

Mine started doing it a few weeks ago. It will stop working and then be working fine the very next day. There is also a problem with the illumination on the A/C control panel and the light control panel. They stopped working about the same time the door started having problems.

Of course, my truck recently hit 50,000 miles, so it's just going to start falling apart from this point. And GMC wonders why they can't keep the lights on. Bet the transmission starts slipping in the next 20K.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have the same problem now and then. all i do is remove the switches and blow warm dry air on them with a regular house fan fore a few hours.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Has anyone tried cleaning the rubber feet and contacts with rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip?? I have had it work on simular switch contacts. oil and grime screws up the contact on some rubber switches. I have not been in one of the 355 switches before so try at your own risk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well I called my buddy up in the parts department and had him order me a new board, $120ish.
Something is wrong with my current one as none of the lights are working on it either.
I just wish there was some kind of cause/effect to give me piece of mind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have encountered the same problem while taking the driver door apart to deal with a window track issue. everything worked before i disconnected the switch but when i reconnected it after removing the door skin to lower the window this new problem appeared. driver window won't go up or down and the power door locks won't work. when i press the lock button with the door open and the key in acc. i hear a chime. when i press and hold the lock button down with the key out and the door closed the odometer display shows "LOCK 1". not sure where to go from here as i need the window working to finish the initial problem. i tried discharging the caps in the switch, disconnecting the battery and grounding the pos and neg leads together, none of which have worked. all other power windows work. it's an 06 I-350 crew cab which is the same as the colorado/canyon. :clueless

1 - 20 of 62 Posts