Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
664 Posts
Dealer is replacing my seat cover under warranty and giving me a free loaner for the day! Although the dealer is having the the new seat cover installed by an upholstery shop.
That seems rather shady! Charge GM full warranty price for the seat repair, get it done at 1/3 of the cost down the street with no guarantees!

The seat issue seems to have been fixed with later 2016 and 2017 models, it should be done correctly per GM's repair procedure.

· Registered
687 Posts
That seems rather shady! Charge GM full warranty price for the seat repair, get it done at 1/3 of the cost down the street with no guarantees!

The seat issue seems to have been fixed with later 2016 and 2017 models, it should be done correctly per GM's repair procedure.
Nope...this will be an issue with 2016s and 2017s for some as well. They have not changed a thing with this part of the seat cushion or frame.

· Registered
5,969 Posts

It is very common to send out jobs like this at many dealers as not every tech is suited for putting on seat covers. You have to have a little training to do it right and get it fitted properly. Many dealers do this also on body work.

I would wager that most of the trucks with bad seats are people who drag their buts over the seat with full weight and most do not have or use a step or bar to get in or out.

Most who get in and do not drag their butt and use the step have no issue. This is more a side effect of the taller trucks.

It will be interesting to see how the ZR2 seats fair as it is two inches higher and no step on leather seats..

There is little way to not drag over that bolster.

· Registered
687 Posts
It is very common to send out jobs like this at many dealers as not every tech is suited for putting on seat covers. You have to have a little training to do it right and get it fitted properly. Many dealers do this also on body work.

I would wager that most of the trucks with bad seats are people who drag their buts over the seat with full weight and most do not have or use a step or bar to get in or out.

Most who get in and do not drag their butt and use the step have no issue. This is more a side effect of the taller trucks.

It will be interesting to see how the ZR2 seats fair as it is two inches higher and no step on leather seats..

There is little way to not drag over that bolster.
Yes, I agree on the way folks get in and out of the truck will have a great effect on the wear of the seats...also body weight will contribute as well. I would think if that part of the seat is real leather it would wear better too. It is not on the All terrain for sure...not sure if it is on the higher trim with leather seating surfaces.

· Registered
5,969 Posts
Most cars today only have leather on the top side of the seats. Most sides and backs are fake. The only cars getting full hides are the high end models and even then they have their fake panels.

From the looks of my Denali I would wager it is fake. In the long term most of the fake panels are there to hold up better as so few people treat leather well and it would dry and crack easily on the side panels.

Weight for sure is a factor but use and just normal weight would also do damage.

I have had many cars with deep seat bolster and just got in the habit to raise over it as I have seen so many damaged bolsters. Like the rockers you pick up you feet as if you drag the shoes the rockers will get worn too.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

Pretty common to have an upholstery shop do it. As long as it's done right I could care less.

· Registered
687 Posts
And you know that how??? I thought I had read in the forum that the design had changed to deal with the tearing that was happening in 2015's.
What they changed was that tab in the front of the seat that folks were having issues with, it is no longer on the 2017s. The seat frame and the seats themselves are the same. Whether or not you end up having the issue totally depends on how you enter and exit the vehicle. The potential is still there. Push down on the bolster with your hand and you can see how the seat cover rubs against the hard plastic edge on the seat frame. That will cause wear over time. The key is to plop down in the middle of the seat when entering and stand on the steps when exiting so you do not slide out of the truck causing the unnecessary wear.:smile2:

· Registered
11 Posts
I have been looking to repair a tear in the entry area to my driver seat. I do slide in and out of the seat as it's not high enough for a step but at five seven with a leveling kit I expected it to not fall apart. I am not looking for compensation at this point but found a lead on Amazon that looks like a good replacement. The price is what you would expect for a quality replacement, but I was concerned about the lack of reviews considering the need.
Hope I can post this here...
Amazon.com: Auto Champ of Texas: Compatible with -2015-2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 -Driver Side Bottom Cloth Seat Cover Black/Dk Gray : Automotive

· Registered
612 Posts
What size trim/hose/edge guard/etc. have you guys installed? I'm wanting to buy some as a preventative measure for my seats. Thanks in advance if you can provide any links as to what you have used on your seats.

· Registered
40 Posts
Reactions: Mad German

· Registered
612 Posts

· Registered
612 Posts
Has anyone else tried anything different than the U shaped material I & ddawson mentioned above? Curious before I place an order for some.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts