Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post my 2015 GMC Canyon seat issue. The leather is worn through due to the plastic trim cutting into it, on the driver's side. It's getting replaced under warranty but thought this might be a common problem. My truck has low miles under 14,000 and I'm 195 pounds so I don't think the seat should of worn like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thought I would post my 2015 GMC Canyon seat issue. The leather is worn through due to the plastic trim cutting into it, on the driver's side. It's getting replaced under warranty but thought this might be a common problem. My truck has low miles under 14,000 and I'm 195 pounds so I don't think the seat should of worn like this.
Wow. I've got about 30# on you. I'll be on the lookout for stress in this area. I have the exact same seats.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I expect that will happen to every seat in time. I don't like how the material gets pushed into the plastic.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: JETMAN968

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
This has occurred to me on at least 3 vehicles in the past 20 years or so in the exact spot.

It is caused from a lot of flexing and pinching of the fabric each entry and exit of the seat. Also, I think the fabric on the side is vinyl rather than leather. That's where the "Leather Appointed" seats designation comes in. Usually sides, the back, front edge are vinyl or sometimes even cloth. For the rear seats, often the only leather part is a section or two of the flat seating surface and part of the seat back.

On the last car we had where this was prone to split, I used a vinyl and leather conditioner regularly on those seat sides that were much the same as on our trucks. Others I knew had the fabric split, but ours did not even after almost 6 years.

That said, somehow I do not think applying conditioner will help the way this is designed, I do know that if you tend to slide off the seat edge sideways I can tell it really stresses that side of the seat and creases it. Not good, so I try and step onto the side steps I had installed as I exit and not stress the seat sides.

Should a person have to be this "careful" getting in and out of the truck to prevent this damage? I don't think so, but unless GM comes up with a fix this splitting is likely to occur.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
This has occurred to me on at least 3 vehicles in the past 20 years or so in the exact spot.

It is caused from a lot of flexing and pinching of the fabric each entry and exit of the seat. Also, I think the fabric on the side is vinyl rather than leather. That's where the "Leather Appointed" seats designation comes in. Usually sides, the back, front edge are vinyl or sometimes even cloth. For the rear seats, often the only leather part is a section or two of the flat seating surface and part of the seat back.

On the last car we had where this was prone to split, I used a vinyl and leather conditioner regularly on those seat sides that were much the same as on our trucks. Others I knew had the fabric split, but ours did not even after almost 6 years. We were also careful and did not slide out of the seat when getting out.

That said, somehow I do not think applying conditioner will help the way this is designed, I do know that if you tend to slide off the seat edge sideways I can tell it really stresses that side of the seat and creases it. Not good, so I try and step onto the side steps I had installed as I exit and not stress the seat sides.

Should a person have to be this "careful" getting in and out of the truck to prevent this damage? I don't think so, but unless GM comes up with a fix this splitting is likely to occur.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Like others have said it's all about how you get in/out. In time, I've had this happen to just about every vehicle and I'm only 5'8" and 140lbs...I still manage to damage my drivers seat. I ordered the N-Fab nerfs for mine so I can hopefully not destroy my seat this time around! I plan to install a lift soon which would certainly make it impossible for my height to not damage the seat at least getting in. Retrain yourself to consciously take it easy and not slide onto the side of the seat and it will prolong your new seat. I suspect that since it's vinyl on that section. Thanks for sharing this though as it can serve as a warning for everyone else to establish good habits now

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I am not so sure this is leather. Often anymore Leather is only on the areas you sit on and not the sides anymore.

As for the damage much of it mostly depends on your size and technic in getting in. Also other factors on how high your truck is and if you have steps and bars.

I noted this in my truck when I bought it but the way I get in and out I do not expect it to be a problem.

The real issue is you have a single seat trying to meet the needs of how many different kinds of people.

You would think the panel would be reinforced and it appears like they have addressed it so let how it takes care of it.

My Terrain you really have to slide in and out over a larger bolster. the early ones had issue but mine and others appear ok after the first year.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Paid attention to that area while getting out of my truck, I think you guys are right on about stress on the side of the seat where it gets stabbed by the sharp edged plastic trim every time while getting in and out.

I like the U channel idea. It would look like crap, but some 3/8" rubber hose slit down the middle and placed over the plastic trim would probably help too, or just a flat strip of rubber or thick fabric stuffed in between the seat and the trim - anything to spread out the pressure a little - instead of a knife edge cutting into the seat, that trim would instead press against a blunt surface. would rather have a Jed Clampett looking fix in place than a cut seat. I see another mod coming up...

Love my truck, but this is the kind of little detail that the Japanese do better. Not ready to trade it in for a Ridgeline just yet though :laugh:

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Paid attention to that area while getting out of my truck, I think you guys are right on about stress on the side of the seat where it gets stabbed by the sharp edged plastic trim every time while getting in and out.

I like the U channel idea. It would look like crap, but some 3/8" rubber hose slit down the middle and placed over the plastic trim would probably help too, or just a flat strip of rubber or thick fabric stuffed in between the seat and the trim - anything to spread out the pressure a little - instead of a knife edge cutting into the seat, that trim would instead press against a blunt surface. would rather have a Jed Clampett looking fix in place than a cut seat. I see another mod coming up...

Love my truck, but this is the kind of little detail that the Japanese do better. Not ready to trade it in for a Ridgeline just yet though :laugh:

Plastic flexible door edge trim guard in black would easily work. We use it for many trim applications we fabricate.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That is the All Terrain. There is not a drop of real leather in the All Terrain that is leatherette. I imagine it will happen to many over time. Also, the way you enter and exit the vehicle can speed up the process. If you are one to slide out of your seat when exiting the vehicle. I myself tend to step on the steps and plop down in the middle of the seat when entering.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
This is my half assed quick and dirty interim fix - folded dish cloth, stuffed in there. It is easy to open a gap between the seat cushion and the trim. Problem should be solved, if not so pretty :laugh: Will probably revisit this later with some door edge trim or perhaps a dark brown dish rag...

All this made me look at my Camry, which is the most reliable conveyance ever created by mankind. The plastic trim is a lot lower on that car's seat and is not in a position to bind the covering. Have to admit, this is a detail I never gave a thought to before.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just noticed 3 days ago that mine is doing the exact same thing. You have the same seats as me. I don't think it makes much difference what you weigh because I'm at 160 at my heaviest.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts