Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this notice in the mail today from GM Canada. I don't think I want to get it done because according to the wording, it sounds to me that the repair might make the sensor more sensitive and suddenly my perfectly reliable truck will start throwing codes. Regardless, did anyone else get this notice? Any Americans?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
"Circuit Fault" usually means the part of the programming that detects whether the sensor is faulty, not necessarily a change to the the values that it would consider polluting.

But no have not seen that memo

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Circuit Fault" usually means the part of the programming that detects whether the sensor is faulty, not necessarily a change to the the values that it would consider polluting.

But no have not seen that memo
I'm sure I'll end up getting mine done. If it's a complete reflash, there may be some benefits to how the truck runs. I'll give it a day or two, surely I can't be the only one under recall........can I? Maybe you guys need to get out of your trucks just once and check your mailboxes. :-?

Reactions: ZR2Cougar

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^LOL

Canadian emissions/regulations different than US yeah? Possible it's going to be a Canada thing only
I don't know if our emission regs are different. I thought the ECM programming would be the same for both countries and they either accept the vehicle or they don't. Still, I once owned a diesel car that was imported to Canada but was never sold in the U.S. due to lack of emissions compliance. Of course we can't even guess until we see who else gets these notifications in the mail. As of right now, I have a "picked on" feeling.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I find it interesting that the letter states that "Calibrations to repair your vehicle are not currently available". That makes the letter something of a pre-recall notice. Possibly different notification procedures in both countries?

We'll see who all feels picked on once released code is available. Also - you just received this notice so there could be timing differences in distribution.

I also interpret the letter as dealing with hard fault detection vs. calibration.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Canada does use US emissions rules. I used to own a semi-truck dealership and we could freely buy and sell trucks from or to either country with no changes. (Mexico and much of Central America, too, not that it matters. Most of the rest of the world is on Euro V spec, a few countries in Africa are the only exceptions. A small handful of countries have no rules at all.)

Recall notices often come out long before parts are available (or programming, as the case may be). I once waited a year on a recall to begin for my Suburban and that one was described as a possible fire hazard! We're at about the five-month mark waiting for a recall to start on my wife's Solstice (passenger airbag seat sensor, something that has failed across practically all late-2000s GM products).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Received same notice in mail. Also in Ontario. I will let you be guinea pig. ;)

I'm a bit leary of recalls ever since chrysler's infamous N23 recall, which reprogrammed the brains behind transfer case actuator, rendered 4LO inoperable for months on my Grand Cherokee until they issued a recall for the recall.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Received same notice in mail. Also in Ontario. I will let you be guinea pig. ;)

I'm a bit leary of recalls ever since chrysler's infamous N23 recall, which reprogrammed the brains behind transfer case actuator, rendered 4LO inoperable for months on my Grand Cherokee until they issued a recall for the recall.
Oh good, I'm no longer alone. It was starting to get errie. I thought it could be a prank letter but it even had my VIN on it. Now to see if any of the Americans get one. Yeah, hard to say if the update will be good or bad. My truck has never had a single problem so I'm reluctant to mess with it. Again, please chime in here if you get this notice in the mail.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh good, I'm no longer alone. It was starting to get errie. I thought it could be a prank letter but it even had my VIN on it. Now to see if any of the Americans get one. Yeah, hard to say if the update will be good or bad. My truck has never had a single problem so I'm reluctant to mess with it. Again, please chime in here if you get this notice in the mail.
Hi did receive the same letter in Québec.

Gm will tell us when there are ready....

Reactions: 404 Not Found

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just opened my mail, got the same letter. BC resident. I still have a couple free oil changes at the dealership so I'm sure they're going to do the recall whether I want them to or not. I would prefer not.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. Hmmm.......Canada only? I hope not. I don't trust our loonie left wing government. Makes me wonder what they're up to. It's possible that GM USA will use a later time frame to notify their owners. Time will tell. Maybe their president told the EPA to leave people alone.

Reactions: Vinolush

·
Registered
968 Posts
Just opened my mail, got the same letter. BC resident. I still have a couple free oil changes at the dealership so I'm sure they're going to do the recall whether I want them to or not. I would prefer not.
As long as your letter has that same "When calibrations are available" line shown in 404's letter posted earlier, dealers don't know what to do yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got this as well. I don't mind being a guinea pig when they come out with a "fix".

·
Registered
317 Posts
And then the US gets involved. Hope my '18 doesn't get put into this mix seems the first post was in October and Ive had my truck since September...I would also opt out until more info arises and people start giving feedback on the effects following

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.