Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Door lock nightmare

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  White016 
#1 ·
Bought a 2005 Colorado and door locks do not work.
issue: locks will make noise when selecting lock and unlock in the truck. Key fob will flash lights during unlock/lock but will not lock the doors. All other functions work on the switch’s.
I have already done the battery cable trick. Disconnect cables over night. Replaced driver door switch, disconnected the bcm and reconnect.
I am just lost! Any ideas?

#2 ·
Do they lock ok with the key or do they feel hard to lock? Lock mechanism may just need a little lubrication. May just be stuck and the actuator cannot move the mechanism if you are getting the lock/unlock sound.

Reactions: White016
#4 ·
I had a Chevy Camaro with the same problem, both doors. The actuators weren't strong enough to lock/unlock after 35 years of crud and dry grease in the joints. Removing some of the trim allowed me to access the linkage inside of the door and free it up by spraying WD40 on the joints to free them up, and they worked good as new again. You may need to do more than just where it connects at the latch.

#7 ·
Ok so I removed the door actuator from the two front doors and used wd40. But locks feel smooth to unlock/lock and not working. I put power and ground to the actuator but did not work. I tested the connector and the voltage is 12v to the actuator. I’m starting to think I have bad actuators at all four doors.

#8 ·
Yep, if you gave them 12 volts and nothing then I agree, they don't work. Did you try swapping polarity too?
All of them went out at the same time? That would be weird.
I would get a new actuator for the drivers and see what happens.
p.s. I thought you said you could hear them doing something?

#10 ·
It is possible for the driver's door switch to make the others fail. BUT, if you gave the actuator 12 volts both ways and it didn't do anything it has to be bad.
As for the other doors, could be the lockout on the drivers switch doing it too. Try spraying WD down in it the switch and working it off and on repeatedly for 10 seconds or so, sometimes this will clean the contacts in the switch.
Same goes for the drivers door up/down switches. They can be bad and affect the others.
It is very possible you have more than one problem. Try cleaning first then get yourself an actuator so you know its good.
You said you got a 12 volt signal from the actuator wires? If so that one switch must be working. As long as you tested from both wires not to ground.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.