Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Colorado Crew Cab with the nav system. We were going to take a trip to Yellowstone and Sturgis the first of September so I bought the latest nav update. I purchased the latest update that was discounted (I assume end of year). After installation I had to turn off the automatic day/night selection because the unit thought it was dark all the time. After starting the trip I found that the display would freeze up on occasion. The only way to unfreeze it was to turn off the truck, wait a couple of minutes then start it back up again.

Today, I took the truck to a dealer. They wanted $165 to plug in and diagnose the problem. I questioned why I had to pay since the problem started with the update. However, I told them to proceed. After about an hour the tech told me the operating system needed to be updated and they did that with a download. I started up the truck and drove home. The display was frozen. However, I could use the buttons to get to the icon screen then use the righthand radio selector knob to move between icons then press the center of that knob to make a selection. I still could not do any address selections or anything that required touching the screen.

I communicated with Here maps that sells the updates. They claim no liability as they only contract with Chevrolet. Chevrolet will only pull the whole radio unit and send it off for troubleshooting. That sounds expensive.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Sounds like with our buggy systems leave it alone if it works!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Pretty frustrating that they're not helping you with costs related to official software damaging your systems. I'm sure you're out of warranty since it's a 2016 but that still... disappointing.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a 2016 Colorado Crew Cab with the nav system. We were going to take a trip to Yellowstone and Sturgis the first of September so I bought the latest nav update. I purchased the latest update that was discounted (I assume end of year). After installation I had to turn off the automatic day/night selection because the unit thought it was dark all the time. After starting the trip I found that the display would freeze up on occasion. The only way to unfreeze it was to turn off the truck, wait a couple of minutes then start it back up again.

Today, I took the truck to a dealer. They wanted $165 to plug in and diagnose the problem. I questioned why I had to pay since the problem started with the update. However, I told them to proceed. After about an hour the tech told me the operating system needed to be updated and they did that with a download. I started up the truck and drove home. The display was frozen. However, I could use the buttons to get to the icon screen then use the righthand radio selector knob to move between icons then press the center of that knob to make a selection. I still could not do any address selections or anything that required touching the screen.

I communicated with Here maps that sells the updates. They claim no liability as they only contract with Chevrolet. Chevrolet will only pull the whole radio unit and send it off for troubleshooting. That sounds expensive.
What do you mean by this? "After installation I had to turn off the automatic day/night selection because the unit thought it was dark all the time"

Are you certain the installation was complete? Did you leave the truck running during the entire install as they instruct? I just did the 2020 update on my 2018 and will admit I was nervous it would freeze up or bug out during the install. It took a while and I thought it hung up at the end but I just let it do its think for over 7 minutes at 100% complete, until I finally got the banner that said update complete. There was no way I was going to interrupt the install till I got the all is good banner. Sorry to hear you are having issues. It does sound "bricked"

·
Registered
445 Posts
That's a bummer... I hope they can fix it. Is it a setting issue?
Do you think you can reflash it again?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
i did an update a year or 2 ago without issue. it does take a while and it will tell you you can drive while updating and when you can pull the usb out. you might try re-doing it. that doesnt cost anything

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean by this? "After installation I had to turn off the automatic day/night selection because the unit thought it was dark all the time"

Are you certain the installation was complete? Did you leave the truck running during the entire install as they instruct? I just did the 2020 update on my 2018 and will admit I was nervous it would freeze up or bug out during the install. It took a while and I thought it hung up at the end but I just let it do its think for over 7 minutes at 100% complete, until I finally got the banner that said update complete. There was no way I was going to interrupt the install till I got the all is good banner. Sorry to hear you are having issues. It does sound "bricked"
Yes, the installation was complete and rebooted. I had to make a drive about 30 miles and was very disappointed on a sunny day. A day or so later it had resolved itself. Maybe that particular problem needed a few reboots to fully install.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a bummer... I hope they can fix it. Is it a setting issue?
Do you think you can reflash it again?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Once the USB is used the system won't recognize it again. I the most simple solution would be to activate somehow so it can do another install.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, the installation was complete and rebooted. I had to make a drive about 30 miles and was very disappointed on a sunny day. A day or so later it had resolved itself. Maybe that particular problem needed a few reboots to fully install.
OK, so it sounds like it is working fine for you now?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took the truck to a dealer. They had to update the operating system for the nav unit to the latest version but that did not solve the problem. My display is frozen about every other time I start the truck. At this point, I will wait until the new map update is out and order another update to see if that fixes the glitch. With maps on my phone I can get by without spending hundreds on letting Chevrolet pull and send in the unit for diagnosis and/or repair.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Once the USB is used the system won't recognize it again. I the most simple solution would be to activate somehow so it can do another install.
Will the USB provider send you a new one if you send that one back?

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts