Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Don’t bother with valvoline instant oil change

13K views 39 replies 15 participants last post by  Burd 
#1 ·
Due to convenience and personal preference I have used VIOC for a long time. I feel that valvoline oils have always done right by me. So I wheeled into the nearest voic to have an oil change done a month ago. After putting my information in for my new vehicle they said sorry sir we don’t stock any oil that works for your vehicle, we have the filter in stock however we don’t show an oil that is for your vehicle, if you wish to provide the oil we will gladly change it for you..no thanks I’m good I’ll go to the dealer.... 109 bucks later the oil was changed and the tires rotated.
fast forward one month and I’m due to have the transmission fluid changed... I called valvoline do you have fluid approved for use in my Colorado with the 2.8 duramax and 6l50 transmission?
yes sir we have our valvoline dextron vi full synthetic fluid for use in that transmission. Perfect I’ll be in to get a flush.
drive 40 min to valvoline join pull in and they ask me to pop the hood.... what for ? Well sir we need access to the transmission dip stick to check it and then flush it. I say to the girl there is no dip stick for the Transmission. Sir I assure you that there is we do this all the time. “ ok I’ll play along” pop hood guy looking under hood walks away gets another guy... they whisper I can’t find the dip stick. I say that’s cuz it’s not there. It has to be checked and filled via the check plug underneath.
Whisper whisper whisper. Girl comes over sir I apologize we can not do the transmission flush on this vehicle it requires special tools to check the levels. You mean a wrench?? It’s a simple process of drain via drain plug and fill via check plug ? No sir it requires dealer specific tools. So I call my local dealer and set an appointment to get it done next week. I honestly would let the dealer do all my fluid changes and pay the premium if I didn’t have to make appointments a week to 3 weeks out to do so.... if I had a garage I’d do them all myself.

See less See more
#3 ·
I actually heard the guy in the pit say it’s the same as my caddy and we simply can’t do it. I just shook my head and left

#6 ·
None of the Transmissions on our trucks come with Dipsticks. I had a flush done a quick lube place on my 8 speed. I would imagine that they would of been able to do your 6 speed. For me they just had to get the correct transmission fluid delivered. And that was before the upgrade for the 8 speeds.

#7 ·
This same shop did my Saab 3 times and the go to was to suck it out threw the dipstick tube and refill the same way

Reactions: Jh3748
#20 ·
And trusting people. The SIL's "new" 4Runner probably had the oil changed at one of those places by the prior owner. They didn't sufficiently tighten the oil filter and while it didn't come loose it did start leaking. Doing it yourself you can make sure it's done right (assuming you know what you're doing).

What does a garage have to do with it? I've been doing my own maintenance for over 50 years - in my driveway.
Some people live in multi-family housing. When I lived in a condo I had a time convincing the board to look the other way at minor engine maintenance procedures. They could have strictly enforced the rules, but fortunately didn't.

#15 ·
On my gasser oil change done by dealer is $60 including tire rotation, if I use Mobil 1 it is 15 dollars more

Reactions: KingGimp
#16 ·
My dealer charged 69.95 for oil change with filter the rest was the rotation of tires and taxes. I am aware of the need for temp check of fluid for correct level. Being that my dash has a temp readout I’d think that would be sufficient. And yes all voic in the Syracuse area are set up to suck out and fill through the dip stick. So they will need to update their methods to stay current.
my current rectal thermometer only goes to 109... if I work it in and out at a high rate of speed I think I could get it there 😂

#17 ·
My dealer charged 69.95 for oil change with filter the rest was the rotation of tires and taxes. I am aware of the need for temp check of fluid for correct level. Being that my dash has a temp readout I’d think that would be sufficient. And yes all voic in the Syracuse area are set up to suck out and fill through the dip stick. So they will need to update their methods to stay current.
my current rectal thermometer only goes to 109... if I work it in and out at a high rate of speed I think I could get it there 😂
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :LOL::LOL:

Reactions: gherbert
#29 ·
Its amazing what you can do with sticks, acorns and gravel!

#19 ·
I am fully capable of doing it in my driveway/ yard however I’m also intelligent enough to say ya know it’s worth the extra money to not lay on cardboard in the mud. My driveway is also on a rather good incline. Did my delete in my buddies driveway. For some things simply paying a little extra to not crawl around on the ground is worth it. I was an industrial mechanic for 10 years “ mechanical/electrical” so it’s not a matter of needing the garage or not feeling comfortable doing it myself. It’s a matter of fact that I place a dollar value on my time and aggravation and that dollar value is higher then the dealer charges per hr.
Call me soft if you will I’ll call myself intelligent.

#22 ·
I've heard the "value of my time" thought before but it doesn't take into consideration of knowing the job was done right or the value of the knowledge gained while you were doing the maintenance that other systems looked OK or needed attention, such as brake pads/rotors when doing a tire rotation or an oil leak when doing an oil change. Dealers looking for additional work may alert you to these items, or they may also exaggerate them to gather more of your money, but single purpose places like oil change shops usually will not.

When I finally retired 13 years ago, I was making what many would consider even today as extremely good wages in a consulting roll where I was paid for what I knew as opposed to physical labor. Yet I still considered the items above important enough to do my own maintenance when time allowed.

#24 ·
You got that rite, in the last those oil change places over filled the ex wife power steering, it was squirting all over, they don’t ,eat it drain long enoug(, my collector cars, I let it drain overnight, and I used to see a whit oil filter on there. WTH brand is that?
had my avalanche done one winter at my repair shop. It was like 75$ to do a Mobil 1 change.
a case of oil, on sale at Costco is around $25. Delco filter, 6$. The ZR2, a midget could stand up under there. Lol.

#25 ·
No hard feelings...wouldn't trust VIOC to make me coffee in the morning. Starbucks pays their baristas more than VIOC pays their grease monkeys, so the bar is set fairly low. They're not all bad, just, pretty bad. If you ask for no foam, you're gonna get foam.

The 2.8 takes a specific oil, and a weird weight for diesel (5w30). It actually makes sense that places like VIOC which stocks bulk oils mostly for most gas-powered toasters wouldn't have something gluten-free like our trucks require. Actually, low ash. It's important for the DPF.

The 6L50 was used in BMW's as well so it's voodoo to begin with. Specifically, the trans thermostat has to be open, and without a dipstick, they probably need a fitting to go in the fill port on the side. The dealer should know how to do it without having to use Google, and with a severe service interval of 45k, it doesn't need to be done very often.

Tom S has this one right. I make money at work but my time isn't worth anything outside of that, except the opportunity cost of what I'd rather be doing. I'd actually rather be wrenching on the truck. Rock Auto has the correct potion from GM (19354306) for my 2.8, for <$8/quart. Oil change takes me about 7 minutes and I don't have to strain my eyes talking to some guy who says my rear end has dirty fluid in it- (OH, REALLY?). I'd just rather round off my own drain plug.

#26 ·
No hard feelings...wouldn't trust VIOC to make me coffee in the morning. Starbucks pays their baristas more than VIOC pays their grease monkeys, so the bar is set fairly low.
Hey, there's a chance for me! :unsure:

Seriously, I've been looking for something to do after I retire to keep busy. Maybe they would need a fill in guy for if someone is sick or something. I don't have any formal experience as a mechanic, so I should qualify! :)

#27 ·
Valvoline service no longer pulls a plug or a transmission pan. They stick in a tube and try to suck as much as possible out then just refill it with fresh oil.

I took my wife's Hyundai and they got 3.5 quarts out of 5. Refilled with 3.5 quarts and charged full price. No longer getting any of my business.

#28 ·
A few years ago when I had my Tahoe, I was due for an oil change and just couldn't make the time to do it, so went to the local Valvoline shop. I sat in the truck while they did their thing. He came out from underneath and said he was all done under there. I asked if he greased the suspension, the response was there are no fittings, its permanently lubed. I told him to go back under and look, sure enough I heard the grease gun going. Then came time for the tire pressure check, he spent an unusual amount of time fussing with the right rear, but said it was all set.

Paid the bill and left, got just off the lot and the tire pressure light came on, check the dash, and sure enough it was the right rear that was low. Down to about 25psi. I continued to work, about a mile, while monitoring the right rear pressure, no change.

Checked out the right rear, and the last 1/4 inch or so of the valve stem was missing. I had metal caps on the valve stems and he obviously wrenched it off and snapped the last bit of the stem off. I checked the others and yes the aluminum valve stem was showing corrosion from the metal caps. So I don.t blame him for breaking it, but you can't send somebody out the door with a potentially unsafe vehicle.

I called the shop and got a "meh, it happens" type of response. I got a customer satisfaction survey email a day or two later, and related what happened. I got a phone call that day, and a promise to refund and tp pay for the tire pressure monitor valve stem which I had replaced. The check came as promised, I get emails with special offers to come back......No Thanks, Next time that I am trying to save time......I'll do it myself.

#31 ·
That's the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. If someone breaks something, at least tell me about it. Air pressure is a safety item and they shouldn't let a vehicle out the door like that.

I hear them on the grease fittings, though. Depending on the year of your Tahoe there really may not have been any? I know on the 2014+ Silverado 1500's, at least, they were down to just two fittings, one on each tie rod end. So if your Tahoe was one of the newer GMT's, they might have just smeared some grease around to make you think you were right ;)

#30 ·
Time takes its toll and wrenching isn't as fun when it gets harder to swing under a vehicle, or even getting up off the ground. You start going to guys with lifts and pits and hope they know what they're doing.

Reactions: Jbomb001
#34 ·
Mr. Burd, Nice you can make a blanket statement about folks being lazy, I changed my own oil for most of my sixty years of driving but no longer have that ability and not through being “ lazy”. I certainly hope the years are kind to you and you can change your own oil to the very end. I have an aversion to trusting any quickie oil place and can cite several friends negative experiences where complacent workers failed in their task, I’m sure there are shops that have excellent reputations but I choose a dealership anyway. Even with a dealer one must instruct beforehand to refrain from dumping drain oil all over front components that will later deposit that waste on the underside of the vehicle and garage floor ( I have a garage and use it to secure my vehicle unlike the majority of my neighbors).
Ha, that brings up a new subject: The people who fill their garage with junk parking their cars On the drive or most often the narrow street creating a winding path between them Often are the first to have mechanical and appearance issues and certainly are the targets for drivers who partake in alcohol or drugs and then place themselves in the drivers seat. My neighbor has four vehicles none of which live in a garage...that is for two drivers in the house.
My Canyon pick ups have had the oil changed every 3000 miles with Mobil One until recently when the dealership informed me Mobil makes their oil and it too is full synthetic (that is what my 2920 Denali came with). I know the oil will now last longer but habits of a lifetime are hard to modify, my dealership rotates the tires as part of the service and the truck is returned with a fresh wash job. All this for around $65. and I did not need to lay on cardboard, determine where the oil waste station is, clean spilled products from engine and floor and call fire rescue to help me back to a vertical position.

#35 ·
Yep. People get their grass cut, houses cleaned, get their leaves done, now we can have out grocery’s delivered. We created a lazy world. Oil change places are in among them.
we created all this.
I do my oil twice a year, wow. Really hard. Lol
I’m not looking forward to my free oil change, sitting in the dealer fir an hour.
i even change my daughters oil, and my 2 summer drivers, lawn mower, leaf vac, and tractor.

#36 ·
Yep. People get their grass cut, houses cleaned, get their leaves done, now we can have out grocery’s delivered. We created a lazy world. Oil change places are in among them.
we created all this.
I do my oil twice a year, wow. Really hard. Lol
I’m not looking forward to my free oil change, sitting in the dealer fir an hour.
i even change my daughters oil, and my 2 summer drivers, lawn mower, leaf vac, and tractor.
Oil change places came about when gas stations stopped doing service and mechanical work. When l was young, every gas station had at least one mechanic. It was how they made money, like stations do today by selling soda, candy, cigarettes and the like. As l grew older, gas station mechanics disappeared. The service bays had their hoists removed and filled with snack food and trinkets. That's when quick change places began to sprout and take off.

One other bad effect quick change places had: car dealers used to have mechanics do oil changes but paying mechanic wages drove their prices to double what the quick change places charged. To be competitive, dealers took the oil change work away from their mechanics and hired people at or near minimum wage to perform the work. That's why l never used my "free oil changes".

#40 · (Edited)
Do your oil change in your garage, not your driveway, I have a shop I has access to, that’s where I do mine. And with the new ZR2, a midget can stand up under the Colorado. Easy peasy, Japaneasy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.