Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to convenience and personal preference I have used VIOC for a long time. I feel that valvoline oils have always done right by me. So I wheeled into the nearest voic to have an oil change done a month ago. After putting my information in for my new vehicle they said sorry sir we don’t stock any oil that works for your vehicle, we have the filter in stock however we don’t show an oil that is for your vehicle, if you wish to provide the oil we will gladly change it for you..no thanks I’m good I’ll go to the dealer.... 109 bucks later the oil was changed and the tires rotated.
fast forward one month and I’m due to have the transmission fluid changed... I called valvoline do you have fluid approved for use in my Colorado with the 2.8 duramax and 6l50 transmission?
yes sir we have our valvoline dextron vi full synthetic fluid for use in that transmission. Perfect I’ll be in to get a flush.
drive 40 min to valvoline join pull in and they ask me to pop the hood.... what for ? Well sir we need access to the transmission dip stick to check it and then flush it. I say to the girl there is no dip stick for the Transmission. Sir I assure you that there is we do this all the time. “ ok I’ll play along” pop hood guy looking under hood walks away gets another guy... they whisper I can’t find the dip stick. I say that’s cuz it’s not there. It has to be checked and filled via the check plug underneath.
Whisper whisper whisper. Girl comes over sir I apologize we can not do the transmission flush on this vehicle it requires special tools to check the levels. You mean a wrench?? It’s a simple process of drain via drain plug and fill via check plug ? No sir it requires dealer specific tools. So I call my local dealer and set an appointment to get it done next week. I honestly would let the dealer do all my fluid changes and pay the premium if I didn’t have to make appointments a week to 3 weeks out to do so.... if I had a garage I’d do them all myself.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
LOL. Not a surprise they don't have the oil for the Duramax, but that transmission is used in a lot of vehicles. I think it's a good thing you didn't let them do it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually heard the guy in the pit say it’s the same as my caddy and we simply can’t do it. I just shook my head and left

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Is the special tool a thermometer? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I don't blame them, I wouldn't want to do it either, but some day they need to learn.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,875 Posts
None of the Transmissions on our trucks come with Dipsticks. I had a flush done a quick lube place on my 8 speed. I would imagine that they would of been able to do your 6 speed. For me they just had to get the correct transmission fluid delivered. And that was before the upgrade for the 8 speeds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This same shop did my Saab 3 times and the go to was to suck it out threw the dipstick tube and refill the same way

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
This same shop did my Saab 3 times and the go to was to suck it out threw the dipstick tube and refill the same way
Were you asking for a flush or a change? Sounds like the latter, but you said flush in the OP.

BTW, it sounds more like this is an issue with the specific location. I wouldn't assume all the locations are the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
..no thanks I’m good I’ll go to the dealer.... 109 bucks later the oil was changed and the tires rotated.
Holy crap, I got mine done at the dealer last week for $66.57. Is the diesel oil that much harder to change than the V6 or is your dealer just expensive as hell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Holy crap, I got mine done at the dealer last week for $66.57. Is the diesel oil that much harder to change than the V6 or is your dealer just expensive as hell?
Depending on what they put in the oil can be much more expensive compared to the gasser oil.

·
Registered
2019 zr2 crew cab. Avs aeroskin hood protector and hs2 havoc step bars. Weather tech splash guards
63 Posts
Sounds like they were simply setup to suck out the old trans fluid via the dipstick tube and refill via dipstick tube. Personally, I'd venture to guess the new non dipstick tube transmissions don't fit their profit/cost model. Takes longer and ties up a service bay.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
rectal I’m assuming
Just fyi, you need to know the temp of the fluid to get the level correct. I suppose a rectal one would do the trick, ahahaha

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Sounds like they were simply setup to suck out the old trans fluid via the dipstick tube and refill via dipstick tube. Personally, I'd venture to guess the new non dipstick tube transmissions don't fit their profit/cost model. Takes longer and ties up a service bay.
Agreed, but they are all going this direction (dipstick-less) so they better do something...

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
On my gasser oil change done by dealer is $60 including tire rotation, if I use Mobil 1 it is 15 dollars more

Reactions: KingGimp

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dealer charged 69.95 for oil change with filter the rest was the rotation of tires and taxes. I am aware of the need for temp check of fluid for correct level. Being that my dash has a temp readout I’d think that would be sufficient. And yes all voic in the Syracuse area are set up to suck out and fill through the dip stick. So they will need to update their methods to stay current.
my current rectal thermometer only goes to 109... if I work it in and out at a high rate of speed I think I could get it there 😂

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
My dealer charged 69.95 for oil change with filter the rest was the rotation of tires and taxes. I am aware of the need for temp check of fluid for correct level. Being that my dash has a temp readout I’d think that would be sufficient. And yes all voic in the Syracuse area are set up to suck out and fill through the dip stick. So they will need to update their methods to stay current.
my current rectal thermometer only goes to 109... if I work it in and out at a high rate of speed I think I could get it there 😂
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :LOL::LOL:

Reactions: gherbert

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am fully capable of doing it in my driveway/ yard however I’m also intelligent enough to say ya know it’s worth the extra money to not lay on cardboard in the mud. My driveway is also on a rather good incline. Did my delete in my buddies driveway. For some things simply paying a little extra to not crawl around on the ground is worth it. I was an industrial mechanic for 10 years “ mechanical/electrical” so it’s not a matter of needing the garage or not feeling comfortable doing it myself. It’s a matter of fact that I place a dollar value on my time and aggravation and that dollar value is higher then the dealer charges per hr.
Call me soft if you will I’ll call myself intelligent.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I change my own oil, those places are for lazy people.
And trusting people. The SIL's "new" 4Runner probably had the oil changed at one of those places by the prior owner. They didn't sufficiently tighten the oil filter and while it didn't come loose it did start leaking. Doing it yourself you can make sure it's done right (assuming you know what you're doing).

What does a garage have to do with it? I've been doing my own maintenance for over 50 years - in my driveway.
Some people live in multi-family housing. When I lived in a condo I had a time convincing the board to look the other way at minor engine maintenance procedures. They could have strictly enforced the rules, but fortunately didn't.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts