Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
81 - 86 of 86 Posts

Premium Member
Wow, is the changing spark plugs really rocket science now or what!?
:ROFLMAO:馃悙
I think especially older folks here have had the experience of either stripping threads out of an aluminum head either due to seized spark plugs on removal, or over-torquing, at least once in their life, so we are perhaps cautious to get it right. In my past I stripped threads once on a Honda motorcycle when I was 14 years old, so learned about heli-coils LOL. My V6 going to colder plugs with the S/C was easy just installing dry to factory specs and cold engine.

Registered
I think especially older folks here have had the experience of either stripping threads out of an aluminum head either due to seized spark plugs on removal, or over-torquing, at least once in their life, so we are perhaps cautious to get it right. In my past I stripped threads once on a Honda motorcycle when I was 14 years old, so learned about heli-coils LOL. My V6 going to colder plugs with the S/C was easy just installing dry to factory specs and cold engine.
gotcha.
I guess I've been lucky. I've changed plugs at work for 30 yrs and I don't ever remember having stripped out plug threads in a head when changing plugs. I have seen Ford and Toyota v8's with plugs blowing out but that was from the factory.
I did have a coworker that used an air ratchet to remove and install plugs. Yikes!! We all cringed when he did that but I don't remember him stripping anything.

Reactions: C21964

Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
I've had one try to go in crooked a time or two.

You take a hacksaw and notch the tip of the threads. 2 notches was recommended but I always used 4. Use the plug as a tap and plug was golden.

Closest I've ever come.

Registered
I've had one try to go in crooked a time or two.

You take a hacksaw and notch the tip of the threads. 2 notches was recommended but I always used 4. Use the plug as a tap and plug was golden.

Closest I've ever come.
That scares me! lol When you cut the notches you are making a tap in a way, yes. It will clean the threads IF it goes straight, if not it makes new ones. Oops!! ahaha

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Registered
They make a "thread chaser" for spark plug threads. Worse case is a heli-coil.

Reactions: White016

Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
Theres no excuse for not hand threading in a spark plug, or on the end of a noodle if too deep.

Reactions: Toughsox
81 - 86 of 86 Posts