Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2018 z71 3.6 long bed
829 Posts
Supposedly anti seize melts down to the plugs and ruins them.

I've never used it. Even when I was a mechanic back in the 90s.

According to Google. It's not recommended. For the reasons already listed above.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Anytime a steel fastener goes into aluminum, it really needs never seize.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
I have pulled many of my own plugs out years later and have never seen any never sieze run down the threads onto the tip.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,939 Posts
Made me look it up and heer are some sources. I have never used anti-seize before(but was under the impression I was supposed to). Now I guess I am not... I am so confused

Many spark plug manufacturers have issued statements saying that using anti-seize on spark plugs in 2018/19 is not advised. For example, NGK, Autolite, Champion, Bosch, Denso, AC Delco, will all tell you not to use anti-seize with their modern coated spark plugs. Therefore, if you want to just follow the manufacturer’s recommendations, as long as the plugs are “coated” to begin with they argue you should not use anti-seize. However, from my research and asking mechanics in both the aviation and automotive industry, there is a safe way to use anti-seize on spark plugs even if they’re coated already. I use it personally, and this guide will help you to use it safely on your car if you so choose.

Anti Seize On Spark Plugs? Dangerous or Good Practice?! - AGradeTools.com

The nickel coating on most modern spark plugs provides added protection from seizing in aluminum cylinder heads and has made anti-seize less important in spark plug installations. Anti-seize can alter the tightening torque up to 20%, increasing the risk of breakage.

Video: Should You Use Anti-Seize on Spark Plugs?.

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
189 Posts
I have used anti-seize on many (most) things over the years that I may have to remove one day. Especially on spark plugs going into aluminum heads. I just use a little and never had an issue.

There was a recent post in another thread where his dealer didn’t put everything back after putting in new plugs. What are cute odds that dealer used a torque wrench when replacing plugs.

I respect and use factory torque specs in many places, but have been working on cars since 1980. I know how tight a plug should be at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Colorado
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Speedometer Odometer Car Trip computer Tachometer

Updated, drove out to break in a new rifle build. This was my fuel economy round trip. This was all freeway driving @ 80. I'll drive the rest of week and report back.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most 5.3L in 1500. most Deisel's.
No GM 5.3L ever had cast iron heads, which is where spark plugs are installed.

*There was a couple years (1999-2000) that the LQ4 6.0L did have iron heads

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Colorado
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No GM 5.3L ever had cast iron heads, which is where spark plugs are installed.

*There was a couple years (1999-2000) that the LQ4 6.0L did have iron heads

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Ooops, you are correct. I was thinking of Lq4 and 9. Cast iron block. Aluminum head....

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I don't use anti-seize on plugs but a tiny bit wouldn't hurt.
I do not EVER remember having a "stuck" plug in any head, aluminum or not (I've done a bunch over the years). But my memory isn't all that good. lol
I tend to avoid anti-seize as much as possible, I hate that nasty stuff.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Hugh drop in fuel econ. Went from 19 down to 15/16 per. As for the Valves, It was Carbon up. No oil in the intake. With the amount of Carbon on the plug, to me seems a bit rich, but it is cold in Michigan.
I'm gonna say that LGZ "catch can" is working if there was no oil in the intake.
The back of the intakes are easy to see with the intake off, too bad you didn't take pictures for us all! :(

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Colorado
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Report back well after few weeks, I have been getting 18.5 the first week of driving using the fuel cleaner. Second week I came across Hot shot FR3 Hot Shot FR3 Friction Reducer | Friction Reducer Oil Additive (hotshotsecret.com) doing some research, and my truck was getting close to time for oil change. So, bought a bottle from Local auto parts store. I have to report smooth engine running, getting little more in fuel savings, and engine temp is down a tickle... Try it out for yourself. MPG was for the week of driving, was 20.1 Avg. Today after filling up, I'm getting 19.7 over the weekend.

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Colorado
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
5 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SPARK PLUGS

1. Anti-seize
NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.
Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

This is on NGK, Not AC Delco. Auto Parts: GM OE (Professional) Iridium Spark Plugs | ACDelco
No where does GM say do or don't.
I'm from the old school days. Aluminum Head needs just a tickle of the gray stuff.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,939 Posts
5 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SPARK PLUGS

1. Anti-seize
NGK spark plugs feature trivalent plating. This silver or chrome-colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without lubrication or anti-seize.
Anti-seize can act as a lubricant, altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage and/or metal shell stretch. Thread breakage can sometimes involve removing the cylinder head for repair. Metal shell stretch changes the heat rating of the spark plug and can result in serious engine damage caused by pre-ignition. Do not use anti-seize or lubricant on NGK spark plugs. It is completely unnecessary and can be detrimental.

This is on NGK, Not AC Delco. Auto Parts: GM OE (Professional) Iridium Spark Plugs | ACDelco
I'm from the old school days. Aluminum Head needs just a tickle of the gray stuff.
Well the install instructions for GM OE don't say to use anti sieze either:

Visually inspect spark plugs for signs of wear. Follow these steps for removing spark plugs for inspection, servicing or replacement:
  • Grasp the spark plug boot and gently rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise. Pull the spark plug boot and cable away from the spark plug. If necessary, use a spark plug boot removing tool. DO NOT grab or violently pull spark plug cables.
  • Brush or air blast dirt away from the well areas before removing spark plugs. CAUTION: Use goggles to protect eyes from debris when applying compressed air to spark plug wells.
  • Use the correct deep socket size to loosen each spark plug one or two turns. NOTE: To remove spark plugs from aluminum heads, allow the engine to cool. The heat of the engine, in combination with a spark plug that is still hot, may cause the spark plug threads to strip the cylinder head upon removal.
  • Remove each spark plug and place each one in a tray by cylinder number. This will help identify and relate any unusual condition to the cylinder involved.
  • Apply dielectric grease into the boot area to reduce the chance of exterior tracking on the buttress tower of the spark plug. This grease also promotes a good heat transfer between the spark terminal screw and boot terminal.
  • Before installing new spark plugs, use a gap guide to make sure your new spark plugs have the correct gap.
  • Install spark plugs or glow plugs to the proper torque per the manufacturers’ specification.
Auto Parts: GM OE (Professional) Iridium Spark Plugs | ACDelco

·
Registered
2020 Satin Steel Metallic Colorado Z71 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed
63 Posts
Not trying to instigate. Really, I mean it.
My 2020 Z71 has just over 7K miles on it, so clearly, plugs aren't anywhere near on my radar yet. (Just explaining my position a bit) I am loving my truck though (I got out of a 2002 Dakota (favorite ride EVER) in 2013, into a 2013 Camaro, and into my 2020 Colorado in 2021).
I'm 57. Married. Had my share of rides. Taken care of my rides for 40 years (4 wheel and 2 wheel). Taken care of the wife's rides for over 30 years. Taken care of my child's rides for over 7 years.
One thing that I've observed over the years; the engineers are NOT caring about serviceability. At least from an owner's POV.
One of the engines I teethed on was a '69 slant 6. I'm going to hold that up as the epitome of an engine an owner could work on. If you know, you know. Sorry, I'm not going to take the time or effort to explain.
What I don't like is the evolution; that has occurred over, say, the past 20 years (this is debatable, and not the point).
For almost ALL products in our lives.
I graduated high school, started college, to learn to be an engineer. To me, "engineering" is about designing, or contributing to the design, of any product to achieve the desired result.
Long story short; if it takes this amount of time, effort, and disassembly to perform a "routine" service procedure (like spark plugs), I, for one, consider it an insult, or a failure by the manufacturer (because they set that "desired result" for their engineers). Take your pick.

To be clear, this is NOT about advancements in technology. THOSE changes in automotive are a completely different topic.

However; Spark plugs? Belts? Fuel injectors? Headlights? Batteries? Cabin filters? Third brake lights? Etc? C'mon man!

·
Registered
2019 Z71 Colorado
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well the install instructions for GM OE don't say to use anti sieze either:

Visually inspect spark plugs for signs of wear. Follow these steps for removing spark plugs for inspection, servicing or replacement:
  • Grasp the spark plug boot and gently rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise. Pull the spark plug boot and cable away from the spark plug. If necessary, use a spark plug boot removing tool. DO NOT grab or violently pull spark plug cables.
  • Brush or air blast dirt away from the well areas before removing spark plugs. CAUTION: Use goggles to protect eyes from debris when applying compressed air to spark plug wells.
  • Use the correct deep socket size to loosen each spark plug one or two turns. NOTE: To remove spark plugs from aluminum heads, allow the engine to cool. The heat of the engine, in combination with a spark plug that is still hot, may cause the spark plug threads to strip the cylinder head upon removal.
  • Remove each spark plug and place each one in a tray by cylinder number. This will help identify and relate any unusual condition to the cylinder involved.
  • Apply dielectric grease into the boot area to reduce the chance of exterior tracking on the buttress tower of the spark plug. This grease also promotes a good heat transfer between the spark terminal screw and boot terminal.
  • Before installing new spark plugs, use a gap guide to make sure your new spark plugs have the correct gap.
  • Install spark plugs or glow plugs to the proper torque per the manufacturers’ specification.
Auto Parts: GM OE (Professional) Iridium Spark Plugs | ACDelco
Yes, I know they don't. Thus I did say this. (See above)
Anyone reading this post, Do what best for you.

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,753 Posts
my experience on plugs isn't over use of anti-sieze, but the engine TEMPERATURE at which they are changed. Yes you can put cold plugs in a hot engine and it will run. But when those plugs need to come out, the damage is done and youre screwed. Unless there is a crush washer involved, torque is rarely an issue.
On these trucks, Im seeing a torque valve of 13 lbs ft. By comparison, the oil filter cap is 16 lbs ft which is hand tight. What this tells me is I don't need anti-sieze, I need a drop of thread lock at the top just to keep any rotation at bay. And even if it did rotate, the plug is held down captive.
If you let the engine cool down completely and install the plugs at the same temperature, and don't wrench on them, no other thread coatings are necessary.

Two things destroy plug threads:
overtightening
cold plugs in hot heads

21 - 40 of 86 Posts