Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got less than 4k miles on my 2017 diesel, this morning was our first cold morning. 56F (ok that's cold for S. FL), so I cranked the heat full hot and it blew "warm", I would guess 90F coming out the vents at best. My old truck had manual controls and on cold mornings it was nice to put it full hot and blow on your feet with the windows cracked, sometimes it would blow so hot I had to turn it down because was burning my feet. But this truck wouldn't blow hot at all, just lukewarm. So I'm trying to decide if I have a problem, or if this is just normal for this truck. Does this match what everyone else is seeing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
so subjective so tough to say if what you say is normal.

mine doesn't 'seem' as hot as our gas beater corolla. it's already been in once for a hvac whistle (which the dealer fixed) related to poor sealing around the ducts where the hvac box meets the heater core.

but if you think there's an issue [and lukewarm sounds like it is], i'd bring it up to them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
We've had a 40 degree morning, so far, and my auto climate control seems to be working fine. I remote started the truck and got in after a couple of minutes of running. Not blowing hot air, but I could feel warm air coming from the vents and leg area. Something that surprised me was the seat warmer was on. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As long as it is driven, my truck seems to generate heat very quickly, the actual heat is not nuclear hot, but has been fine - It does not attract my attention as doing anything other than it should be in that area. With no throttle plate, low exhaust gas temps and little fuel being burned at idle, a diesel does not generate as much heat as a gas engine does sitting there idling. A diesel does generate plenty of heat once it is driven and a load is put on it. Instead of letting it "warm up" by idling, it is best to jump in and drive it to get that engine warm and heater going on a cold day.

I have the SLT with heated leather seats. Those things heat up fast and flat out bake. Love those seats on chilly mornings :smile:

Reactions: 404 Not Found

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The new diesels do not run as hot as the old ones did. When it's bitter cold, they'll have a tough time keeping the windshield clear. But we're talking about snow and ice, and sub-zero temps.

In your situation, it should easily heat up the cab enough to make it feel like summer. If it's not, then there's a problem.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Last winter i would remote start my truck when below 20*f. Get in 2 minutes later and seats are warm-ish, and a little heat from electric heater in dash . By the time i have driven 4 minutes i am gettting lots of warmth from the heater and usually have to turn down fan after 10 minutes, heater gets hot if i turn up temp, but usually keep it at 72* or it is too warm for me.

30*F this morning and no problem getting lots of heat, and rather quickly for a diesel.

I have a factory block heater that has never been used, even last winter at -20, truck starts instantly.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I notice that if I let the truck warm up (one or two miles driven), then turn on the heat (set at 72°F.) that the heat is fine. If I don't let the truck get up to temp it takes a bit longer to achieve heat. If your experience is different you may have an issue. Thermostat?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I started getting some warmth within a couple of miles, but my trip was 20 minutes and it never blew "hot". It's almost as if chevy is limiting how hot the air can blow. We'll get another cool day sooner or later, I'll give it another shot then. :)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You’re not going to get fully hot air unless the truck is fully warmed up.

The heat doesn’t even come on until the truck temp (gauge) reaches 185degress. Can’t take heat out of the engine when it needs to ‘warmup’ first.

Are you using Auto Climage Controls? It’s not going to spit out noticably HOT air when you’re trying to heat a 56 degree cab to 72....it just isn’t gonna happen.
Now - if you were at 32 degrees, you might feel HOT air come out.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Was it fully warmed up? If not and you turn it to max, it uses the auxiliary electric heater, which doesn't get really hot.

Even if it isn't using the aux heater, it can't blow any more heat than is in the coolant, so you have to be warmed up.

Also, the gauge hits fully warm long before the truck is actually fully warm. When mine comes off the 160 mark, the ECU says the coolant temp is actually 88-90 degrees

·
Vendor
415 Posts
When mine comes off the 160 mark, the ECU says the coolant temp is actually 88-90 degrees
Noticed the same thing when monitoring temps via other methods. This always made me :clueless

·
Registered
23 Posts
back in 2000 I had a Jetta TDI and had the same issue. Start it up and let it idle, it wouldn't get warm. Start driving, it warms up quickly. What's being described by the OP doesn't surprise me. That's the main reason I went with the v6 in my Midnight Edition.

Incidentally, I get her next week. It's arriving at the dealer's today. Can't wait :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
The new diesels do not run as hot as the old ones did. When it's bitter cold, they'll have a tough time keeping the windshield clear. But we're talking about snow and ice, and sub-zero temps.

In your situation, it should easily heat up the cab enough to make it feel like summer. If it's not, then there's a problem.
Having the same issues since new. Making an apointment with the dealer to investigate.

Early on there was a problem with the heater door. This should have been fixed by the 2017's but something similar could have occurred. It is possible something has come loose.
Hoping thats what Ive got going on, mine seems inconsistent, most often inadequate heat, but occasionally gets what I would call warm. Does struggle to keep the windscreen defogged even with ac on with defroster. Granted its cold here, 30 at night now, down to negatives in winter, snowstorm coming tonight.

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
My BabyD took me out hunting today in 5F windy weather with 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground. Cab was toasty warm after about 5 miles. The defrost had a little difficulty keeping moisture off the inside but that was due to snow melting off our clothes as we got in and out of the truck. I cranked up the auto thermostat to produce more air flow and that worked well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.