Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had pretty good luck improving power, response, sound, and mpg on past vehicles w/ just a couple of bolt ons and a tune.

Never had any detrimental effects to warranty or otherwise either.

Here, as an example of what can be done, is my '11 Gen Coupe w/ a NA 3.8 V6. The lowest lines are completely stock. The middle lines are w/ all bolt ons and a generic tune, and the highest numbers are going from a generic tune to a custom tune. All were done on the same dyno under very similiar weather conditions using the same dyno operator.

The part of this that would apply to a truck engine is the tq and response which were greatly improved. But also the significant fuel economy jump, which was an honest to goodness 15-25% which really shocked me. I didn't even really expect it to improve 5-10% but my mpg app showed that leaning the engine out, and advancing the timing to utilize 93 Octane fuel, made a tremendous difference.

So my question is: Does anyone have any experience modifying the LFX 3.6, and how does it respond? I assume if the motor is commonly used in the base Camaro there must be a lot of experience with it out there?

Thanks

·
Banned
195 Posts
I have a good amount of experience modifying the 3.6...although my Camaro is a 2010 with the LLT V6 and not the LFX. But they are very much the same engine, with the major difference being that the LFX has integrated exhaust ports and can't have custom headers like the LLT can, but that's alright since the LFX flows better than the LLT, and with high flow cats, the LFX performs like an LLT with headers. The LFX also runs a Delphi ECM while the LLT runs a Bosch.

On my V6 I am running an aftermarket intake, magnaflow exhaust, ported throttle body, ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer (not as big of a deal on the LFX, but on the LLT the manifold would get super hot, and this cuts out the heat) and I'm also running a tune. She runs nice and strong!

The mods currently available for the LFX Camaro are: intakes, exhaust, tune, ported throttle body, manifold spacer, high flow cats, and I think an underdrive pulley.

Of course, with the Colorado having a different intake design, some of the above that works on the Camaro won't work for the Colorado.

That said, the LFX does respond decent to mods. A tune typically shows 15+ rwhp on the Camaro, with nice gains down low in TQ as well. But the Colorado will be tuned differently, with emphasis on low and midrange torque instead of top end power (thus the reason the LFX in the Camaro is rated about 20 HP higher) so I'm not sure how a tune would affect the LFX in the Colorado. I'm sure they could get more power out of it, but I'd want to be sure the tune didn't sacrifice low end torque either.

I'd also recommend a ported throttle body. I noticed better low end response and torque when I installed mine, but midrange and top end gains are pretty much zero.

A manifold spacer ( 1/2 to 3/4") may also be worth a look. The LFX does not suffer heat soak like the LLT due to the intake being a composite material, but dyno results have already shown that a spacer in this range helps to increase peak torque a little earlier, but again there are basically zero HP gains at redline.

An intake, or high flow cats will also increase power, but for me, these are not things I'd be looking to mod on a truck, as I'd want to keep the exhaust fairly stock sounding. Axlebacks and catbacks do almost nothing for power on the Camaro, as the stock exhaust is fairly free flowing. If the exhaust on the Colorado is more plugged up, it could be worth some gains, and maybe mpgs.

For someone looking for a bit more off the line and midrange torque I'd recommend the ported TB and manifold spacer.

For someone not scared of warranty issues I'd recommend a tune which should yield all around gains.

If someone where to do all the mods listed you could expect around a 25 -35 HP and TQ gain altogether.

Like your Genesis you mentioned, the LLT/LFX generally run a bit on the rich side from the factory.

Sorry for the long response, but hope that helps!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It helps a great deal. What did you see for mpg in your camaro, both stock and modified?
Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
195 Posts
It helps a great deal. What did you see for mpg in your camaro, both stock and modified?
Thanks.
Honestly...I don't know what my mods did for mpg in my car as I was never too concerned about it. All I know is, that at this time, with all my mods I average around 23mpg, and that with getting on it now and then for fun (it is a Camaro after all lol). My driving is a good 75% highway driving. if I babied it, I could probably pull off 24 or 25 average easy. If it was mostly city driving, I'd only expect high teens or very low 20s at best.

I have seen as much as 29 mpg on a trip, but that was when I only had exhaust done.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Honestly...I don't know what my mods did for mpg in my car as I was never too concerned about it. All I know is, that at this time, with all my mods I average around 23mpg, and that with getting on it now and then for fun (it is a Camaro after all lol). My driving is a good 75% highway driving. if I babied it, I could probably pull off 24 or 25 average easy.

I have seen as much as 29 mpg on a trip, but that was when I only had exhaust done.
Wife has a stock 2011 Camaro V6. I struggle to hit 28-29 on the highway. I don't drive it on a daily basis and she does not care about the gas mileage at all, so no clue what her overall average is. She probably is about a 60/40 highway/city split, since she has a 25 mile one way trip to work. She starts a new job next week and her drive will drop to 2.3 miles one way.

·
Registered
191 Posts
anyone considering starting off with ECU tune if there is or ever will be one?
I guess it depends on how well it goes right off the lot. My last truck was a '00 Dakota 2wd with a 4.7 V8. The only thing I wish I had done to it was to add a dual exhaust, but that would have been just for the noise, because I had a hard time keeping rear tires on it as it was. The 3.6 in the new Colorado, according to the early reports, has higher hp (much higher) than the Dodge's V8, but lower tq. I'm definitely going to go for 4WD this time, so it remains to be seen if I'm going to be looking for more grunt or not. Hopefully tuning options will be easier and more plentiful for the Chevy than they are on my current MINI. :shock:

·
Banned
195 Posts
anyone considering starting off with ECU tune if there is or ever will be one?
I would be surprised if there is not one, considering the ECM is a Delphi unit, which is typically supported by HPTuners, EFI Live, and other big name tuning companies.

But you never know...if they don't feel there is a market they won't sell it.

The unit in the Camaro has separate tables for regular and premium octane levels, and although it will run fine on regular, the knock sensors are much more active on regular gas. On premium they are much more steady, which should result in a little more power.

Enough power to pay for premium versus regular? Probably not to everyone, but I have always ran premium in my Camaro.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Wife has a stock 2011 Camaro V6. I struggle to hit 28-29 on the highway. I don't drive it on a daily basis and she does not care about the gas mileage at all, so no clue what her overall average is. She probably is about a 60/40 highway/city split, since she has a 25 mile one way trip to work. She starts a new job next week and her drive will drop to 2.3 miles one way.
Just a little tip for you, but make sure you keep an eye on your oil levels, and don't follow the DIC for oil change intervals.

The current LFX is not affected by this as much I don't think, but I've been told that constant short trips with the LLT engine that don't get oil temps to fully hot for a fair amount of time can result in build up of moisture in the oil which over time can result in a premature wearing of the timing chains and bearings.

Oh...and don't check the oil when the engine is hot, as it can result in a false low reading. Best to check the oil, for instance, the next morning or something like that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts