Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this pertains to both the 8 and 6 speed transmissions. I really don't like the transmission controls because:

1. There's nothing to tell you what gear you are actually in (probably more an issue with the 8 speeds).
2. Unless you're already in a low gear switching to L will shift you down a gear. (Possibly more an issue with the 8 speeds since it may downshift you two gears if you're in 8th).
3. You can't shift down a gear without shifting to L.
4. It won't let you select a higher gear--such as if you want to start out in 2nd.

In effect, L is just a way to restrict shifting into the higher gears while at the same time possibly downshifting you when you engage it. Seems like a really odd combination.

I much prefer the Subaru type system where you can change the gear while in full auto, or switch to a manual system that requires manual shifting. Also having those controls on the steering wheel is preferable. The one thing it doesn't do is let you know the gear you're in if you're in full auto and haven't manually shifted into another gear, but that's because it's a CVT! ;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I like the manual shift on the 6 speed. Works very well here in the mountains. Also like that when you put it in M2 it doesn't use 1st gear on take off, great for slippery conditions. There is no comparison between our trucks and a pos Subaru in my opinion. No offence to you Subaru huggers,but this is truck talk.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like the manual shift on the 6 speed. Works very well here in the mountains. Also like that when you put it in M2 it doesn't use 1st gear on take off, great for slippery conditions. There is no comparison between our trucks and a pos Subaru in my opinion. No offence to you Subaru huggers,but this is truck talk.
Are you sure about being able to start in second? The inability to do that was one of my complaints. I'm not seeing anything in the manual about that, and I'm fairly certain you're wrong, but I will need to double check. I have a hill after a stop sign I like to take in second and I'm pretty sure it upshifts from 1st to 2nd starting from the sign, but sometimes I am in L3 (which is the reason I need to double-check).

But I don't see the difference between cars and trucks on this issue. If you want to change a gear you want to change a gear. If you want to know what gear you're in you want to know what gear you're in. It doesn't matter whether you're in a car or a truck. And also, the Subaru is the wife's car I drive sometimes. When I drive it I notice it's transmission shifting system is far superior. Chevy rates a 3 to the Subaru's 9 (scale of 10).

·
Registered
445 Posts
My simpleton brain goes...

6 speed. Mathematically, D to M drops 6 to 4. Then add/ subtract based on rpm /noise/shift.
Does it matter? Not really.
Rpm >2500, entering powerband
Rpm >3200, truck is pulling and wanting wot
Rpm <1800 cruising or OD
I guess 1800-2500 is a black hole.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 GMC Canyon All Terrain 3.6L V6
109 Posts
Page 223 of 2016 Manual:
“Low Traction Mode assists in vehicle acceleration when road conditions are slippery, such as with ice or snow. While the vehicle is at a stop, select M2 using Range Selection Mode. This will limit
torque to the wheels and help to prevent the tires from spinning.”

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My simpleton brain goes...

6 speed. Mathematically, D to M drops 6 to 4. Then add/ subtract based on rpm /noise/shift.
Does it matter? Not really.
Rpm >2500, entering powerband
Rpm >3200, truck is pulling and wanting wot
Rpm
You're right about the 2 gear change from 6th. I'm not sure why I missed that when reviewing the chart. I guess that leads to another complaint--in L you effectively lock out 5th. I might have realized that if the truck told me what gear I was in! ;)

I have the diesel, so my RPMs are considerably different and lower.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Page 223 of 2016 Manual:
“Low Traction Mode assists in vehicle acceleration when road conditions are slippery, such as with ice or snow. While the vehicle is at a stop, select M2 using Range Selection Mode. This will limit
torque to the wheels and help to prevent the tires from spinning.”
That's different, and my 2019 6 speed truck is not equipped with "low traction mode." Vehicles with that feature have a gear lever with M2 or L2 on it. That is a traditional GM thing going back to the 60s I think. Not sure why they don't have it on every vehicle, although it's not as necessary on 4WD vehicles. That is a nice feature.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's different, and my 2019 6 speed truck is not equipped with "low traction mode." Vehicles with that feature have a gear lever with M2 or L2 on it. That is a traditional GM thing going back to the 60s I think. Not sure why they don't have it on every vehicle, although it's not as necessary on 4WD vehicles. That is a nice feature.
Not all twins have the M shift option and/or the range selector thumb button on the shifter?

I’m only familiar with my truck, and it definitely has these features described on pages 222 and 223 of the 2016 manual.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not all twins have the M shift option and/or the range selector thumb button on the shifter?
Mine only had D and L (or maybe D and M). There is no M2 (or L2). Is yours a 2WD? I could see why every 2WD would have that feature. The manual doesn't say which vehicles have it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine only had D and L (or maybe D and M). There is no M2 (or L2).
I think you should be able to select M with the shifter and then M2 with the +/- button on the shifter.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think you should be able to select M with the shifter and then M2 with the +/- button on the shifter.
I can, but then it starts out in 1st as described above in post 3--something I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that's what it does. Sometimes I am in 3 when I start out from the stop sign described, but I'm pretty sure it works the same way either way. Also the manual does say:

This number is the highest gear that the transmission will command while operating in L (Manual Mode). All gears below that number are available.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can, but then it starts out in 1st as described above in post 3--something I need to double check, but I'm pretty sure that's what it does. Sometimes I am in 3 when I start out from the stop sign described, but I'm pretty sure it works the same way either way. Also the manual does say:
I think we’re on the same page now. So the truck has some sort of logic built in for low traction mode in M2, but I can’t say how they’re accomplishing that exactly.

I would test M2 from the stop sign and then bump the range up to M3, M4, etc when additional gears are needed.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If you select M2 , the transmission will stay in 2nd gear and NOT shift to 1st when you stop, UNLESS you are in TH mode, then it will use 1st .
As I stated earlier, this is how wheel spin is kept to a minimum when taking off on ice or slippery surface. I use M2 during the winter when roads are snow packed.

Reactions: seawolfxix

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I use manual mode all the time unless I'm on the freeway. I have 4.10's and generaly command 6th gear as highest gear. I manually up shift when I feel sporty.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know about your 6-speed auto, but my 8-speed auto tells me what gear it is in. On my dashboard LCD, it shows "M1, M2, etc. when I manually shift to that gear. Must be something with the 6-speeds. :unsure:
This only tells you what range you are in. It doesn’t tell you the actual gear being used.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts