Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just installed some new LED headlights on my '17 Colorado and love them, but the fan attached to the bulb sticks out too far for the headlight dust covers to snap back into place.

The new headlights are dust and IP68 waterproof, so I'm thinking I probably don't need the covers... can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

PS. Also looking at some different LED lights with a smaller fan and/or building some extended dust covers but the less work the better, haha.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've been pondering this, too. A few guys here have said they leave the covers off and nobody has reported problems that I've seen (so far). My high beams are Diode Dynamics, my low beams are Cyclops. Both are waterproof. Neither mention dust-proof but I'd sort of assume waterproofing amounts to the same thing...

Reactions: mlfx5

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do the LEDs cool WITH the covers on? Wouldn't that be like wrapping your radiator in a blanket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been pondering this, too. A few guys here have said they leave the covers off and nobody has reported problems that I've seen (so far). My high beams are Diode Dynamics, my low beams are Cyclops. Both are waterproof. Neither mention dust-proof but I'd sort of assume waterproofing amounts to the same thing...
Yeah, yours should be dustproof as well, considering it's easier for water to get in crevices than it is for dust.
Hopefully some of those who have left the covers off will find this and chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just out of curiosity, how do the LEDs cool WITH the covers on? Wouldn't that be like wrapping your radiator in a blanket?
I also thought about this haha.... but after looking at the way the headlights are setup, I think there is enough air between the dust covers and headlights themselves to dissipate the heat... but I could be wrong. I'm a software guy XD

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I also thought about this haha.... but after looking at the way the headlights are setup, I think there is enough air between the dust covers and headlights themselves to dissipate the heat... but I could be wrong. I'm a software guy XD
So more like an oven then a radiator??? lol

Reactions: OLIVE2018

·
Registered
487 Posts
My LEDs came with an rubber "extension" that I drilled a hole in the original cover to fit. It's sealed, and the fan circulates the air around the housing. If you live in a moist/humid environment I'd keep the dust cover as it will keep moisture out of the system leading to corrosion and condensation. In a dry area I'm sure it's not too big a deal.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Hey guys,

Just installed some new LED headlights on my '17 Colorado and love them, but the fan attached to the bulb sticks out too far for the headlight dust covers to snap back into place.

The new headlights are dust and IP68 waterproof, so I'm thinking I probably don't need the covers... can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

PS. Also looking at some different LED lights with a smaller fan and/or building some extended dust covers but the less work the better, haha.

And you can buy or make some Headlight Dust Cover Extensions as pictured below.
I've been running these with LED headlights in +80F to +90F summer driving at times for 7 hours trips. The extra space inside still allows sufficient cooling. Most LED headlight bulbs state about 200F safe operating temperature. I measured mine with the cover extensions on a few times and read 120F to 130F which is well under specs.

Thinking about with or without covers . .. . . I thought eventual moisture and dust collecting on those little fan blades and heat sink fins would be a problem. GM put the dust cover on those projector housings for some reason also. My 2 cents . . .

Full thread on these at this LINK:- http://coloradofans.com/forums/385-...-extension-mod-gm-projector-housings-2-a.html
Anyone interested in some H11 LED low beam or 9005 high beams, $30 to $38 a pair for a daily deal. This comes up about every 2 to 3 weeks so far. Decent LEDs with decent reviews.

I bought the H11 and have been using them for about 6 weeks now in my stock projector Colorado housings. Very white, and much brighter than the stock halogen.

They will need dust cover modification or use without.

Great Deal on LED headlights. .. . what I and several others bought:

$30 to $35

https://www.dealnews.com/search.html?search=simdevanma+LED+

LED/HID Head Light Dust Cover Extension Mod for GM Projector Housings $2

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
968 Posts
GM put the dust cover on those projector housings for some reason also.
They're on the reflector headlights, too, for what it's worth.

I'm skeptical of the need regardless of bulb / housing type, especially on my 2WD street truck.

First time I've ever seen them on a vehicle. I always have this feeling about "features" like this that some junior engineer was assigned to work on headlight housings and found himself with way too much spare time on his hands. (Same thought I had about the 10,000 infernal body-panel clips holding the interior together.)

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
They're on the reflector headlights, too, for what it's worth.

I'm skeptical of the need regardless of bulb / housing type, especially on my 2WD street truck.
Yeah, I kind of see what you mean. On the other hand, GM doesn't like to put parts on a vehicle unless necessary. I've seen GM spec a part initially, and then decide later that it isn't really needed. Those dust covers are about $9 wholesale which probably equates to $4 for GM plus install time on the line.

Those dust covers have been on some GM vehicles since at least 2010 and they haven't deleted them yet.

But, as I mentioned, with the LED lights, I'm more concerned about those feeble little fans and narrow spaced fins getting coated with moisture, dust, and dirt under varying weather conditions that vehicles move through.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had my dust covers off for a couple months with my last set of LEDs.
I started noticing condensation in my headlights after going through a car-wash. Also, I splashed through some mud puddles on an off-road trail and started to see mud on the back of the housing. So, I went and bought a set of LEDs that would fit under the cover. I had considered designing and 3D printing some extended covers before I bought the new lights, but never got around to drawing it up.
Granite's suggestion is good for those with a Colorado, but for Canyon guys, the dust covers are a different size, not close enough to an existing pipe size.

Having my covers off for a bit, I say you should run them.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon CC SLT V6 2WD, Satin Steel Metalic AKA expensive gray!
206 Posts
So far only MonkeyRacer seems to realize, the dust covers protect and seal the headlight assembly.
With them off, it seems possible to get dirt/ dust, moisture/ water inside the assembly.

MonkeyRacer-
Was the condensation inside your light assemblies, like right behind/ on the clear lens in front of the LED's?

And once the assemblies are dirty or wet inside, is there a good way to clean and dry them?

·
Registered
487 Posts
So although The canyon has a different size dust cover, you just drill the hole in the appropriate location.

My Morimoto kit came with something similar to the Amazon link below. Just line up the fan of the bulb and make a 50mm hole. The rubber seals nicely to the OEM cover. Has a lip that pushes through sealing the inside and outside.

uxcell 2 Pcs 50mm Inner Diameter Rubber Seal Cap Dust Cover for LED HID Headlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NARH175/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EYhWzbRPW0SSS

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So although The canyon has a different size dust cover, you just drill the hole in the appropriate location.

My Morimoto kit came with something similar to the Amazon link below. Just line up the fan of the bulb and make a 50mm hole. The rubber seals nicely to the OEM cover. Has a lip that pushes through sealing the inside and outside.

uxcell 2 Pcs 50mm Inner Diameter Rubber Seal Cap Dust Cover for LED HID Headlight https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NARH175/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EYhWzbRPW0SSS

I have the Morimoto 2 strokes as well for my Colorado. Did you have to use the supplied rubber seals (as shown in your pic) to fit the bulbs properly inside the dust cover?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Jacqson said:
I have the Morimoto 2 strokes as well for my Colorado. Did you have to use the supplied rubber seals (as shown in your pic) to fit the bulbs properly inside the dust cover?

Yes. The two strokes are quite large so I had to use them. The OEM cover is quite large, and the headlight bulbs is off center about 1/2" to the 12:00 position so that's why the pic shows the hole off center.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dust covers are needed. I have just replaced my stick with LED. (I don't have the boxes with me to give the brand) The Lights fit awesome under the covers. Placed all components into the housing as there is room. I have driven ten plus hours in 20 to 30 C temps with no issues. Spoke with the dealer about heat issues after reading the various posts here and was concerned. He expressed that they would function and not have issues and has had these ones in a Colorado for the last two years with no issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
So far only MonkeyRacer seems to realize, the dust covers protect and seal the headlight assembly.
With them off, it seems possible to get dirt/ dust, moisture/ water inside the assembly.

MonkeyRacer-
Was the condensation inside your light assemblies, like right behind/ on the clear lens in front of the LED's?

And once the assemblies are dirty or wet inside, is there a good way to clean and dry them?
Actually, no. .. . :smile2:

See post # 12 and # 9 right before "racers".

" Thinking about with or without covers . .. . . I thought eventual moisture and dust collecting on those little fan blades and heat sink fins would be a problem. GM put the dust cover on those projector housings for some reason also. My 2 cents . . . "

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.