Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the truck world and I was appalled at how much the spray in bedliners cost so I started looking up how to DIY and from what I can tell you can get a pretty nice outcome using a variety of products. I'm looking at Raptor and Heruliner to do a spray in bed liner in the not so distant future; both seem to start around $75 but with the Raptor you will likely be buying some extra equipment to help spray while the Herculiner is just roll on. Who has done this? What did you use and how did it come out?

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
The quality of the finished product is directly related to how much prep time you spend getting the bed scuffed enough. This can be extremely mess, time stealing and back breaking work.

Some Line X guys have been reportedly doing sales in the $200-350 range, but not sure what it could cost in your area.

While Line X and Rhino Liner are usually lifetime warranties, regardless of how you tear the liner up.....as a DIYer, any issues down the road and while they replace the items under warranty, youll be the one re-doing all the re-stripping and repainting on your own.

If you are indeed handy though, it would still be money well spent as long as you are happy with the finished product.

Sometimes, it just pays to get the job done right the first time.......especially for what your paying for your truck.......why skimp out on one of the messiest jobs you could tackle om your own.

PS - ordered my 2016 Z71 as stock......plus had the factory bed liner sprays in......and I have no regrets what so ever. Every truck I have owned before my 2016 had drop in liners, which were ok.....but Id never go back that route since I have the liner in. It really made a bug difference to me. :wink2:

Just 1 guys opinion. :wink2:

Reactions: lqdchkn

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The quality of the finished product is directly related to how much prep time you spend getting the bed scuffed enough. This can be extremely mess, time stealing and back breaking work.

Some Line X guys have been reportedly doing sales in the $200-350 range, but not sure what it could cost in your area.

While Line X and Rhino Liner are usually lifetime warranties, regardless of how you tear the liner up.....as a DIYer, any issues down the road and while they replace the items under warranty, youll be the one re-doing all the re-stripping and repainting on your own.

If you are indeed handy though, it would still be money well spent as long as you are happy with the finished product.

Sometimes, it just pays to get the job done right the first time.......especially for what your paying for your truck.......why skimp out on one of the messiest jobs you could tackle om your own.

PS - ordered my 2016 Z71 as stock......plus had the factory bed liner sprays in......and I have no regrets what so ever. Every truck I have owned before my 2016 had drop in liners, which were ok.....but Id never go back that route since I have the liner in. It really made a bug difference to me. :wink2:

Just 1 guys opinion. :wink2:
I'm not uber handy but when it comes to being taken for a ride I start to become more and more handy. I think you are right from what I can tell the prep work seems to be the worst part but after that it just seems like one of those take your time and do it right things and it comes out well. I had a Camaro that I put all the vinyl decals on because the shops wanted like $500 for what I ended up doing for like $80. I watched like 20 youtube vids and it came out wonderful. I think I can do the same with this. With that said I'd be more than happy to pay someone under $300 to do this but so far the first quote I got was like $400+ and I was like nope.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My husband used the raptor liner on my s-10, he used the spray method and it came out just like a pro did it. We never did the roll on method, but it is possible to get a good result with those products. Prep work is the hardest part, take your time sanding as it will make or break it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
We've used Herculiner (roll on) on many different vehicles..... did a 96 tacoma bed & rock sliders with it. Did 2 Jeep interior floorboard with it.

Although the kit is cheap, its a HUGE job. Use an orbital sander for prep. Use Acetone to wipe off all the dust. Use disposable paint brushes, disposable pans, and wear disposable clothing. Seriously....if this **** gets on you, on your clothes, on the floor, on the ceiling, on your asscheek LOL, it ain't coming off. If you get it on your skin - don't scrub at it, or you'll have a nasty rash. Don't use plastic or styrofoam cups, the stuff EATS right thru it.

Herculiner recommends 2 coats....and that's what I've always done. It's not very thick. If you drag something heavy across it, it will scratch or scrape off. However - touchups are simple. No prep work involved, you just paint some more on all the scratches, and you're done.

I had this stuff painted 'over the rail' on the tacoma. I also had a tonneau cover. There was a 2 inch section that was exposed to the weather 24-7. The part that was exposed to the weather - had wore off after a couple years. It literally wore thin with small rubber chunks left behind. Every 2-3 years I had to 'touch up' that section.

This stuff worked great on the Jeep floorboards (offroad trail rig). We could hose out the inside of the jeep after every trip. Basic foot traffic, it was fine.

Would I do it again? Not unless I had some beater project that I didn't want to spend the money on. But for a nice new truck? Never..... I have LineX on my truck and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I used herculiner for an old jeep tub back in the day. If I remember correctly I used 2 gallons. Prep work is where the work is and it's not fun. I wouldn't even think of doing a diy liner on a new truck. The $425 I payed to have my Colorado rhino lined IMHO is super cheap compared to the time, money, and end result of a diy liner.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you find a reputable LineX dealer, it's worth it just for the lifetime free resprays they're supposed to offer. The place I used told me to come back once a year to get the UV coating resprayed. My truck is in a garage almost 100% of the time and it has a tonneau so I probably don't really need it that often, but hey, free is free, and they'll touch up any scratches or gouges at the same time. I did talk to other dealers who weren't as confidence-inspiring about their interpretation of the warranty, so it's worth asking about up front.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would go to LineX, good warranty...
They did a wonderful job on my 2017 Z71.
I have seen some that were done years ago, and they still look great.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I would figure 2 days minimum to do it yourself. A day to scuff and first coat, and then a day for second coat. How you handle disassembly of the tailgate, deal with the plastic caps for the tie down locations, and mask off the various areas, real pain. Factory liner at $475 sounds like a good deal.

Consider also if you do it yourself or even do it after purchase, you are looking at being without the truck for a day or more.

But, if you want to DIY it, get us some good pics after you are done.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I agree, unless you have nothing better to do, and all the time in the world, by the time you do a good, proper prep job cleaning and sanding, $4-500 for Line-X starts to seem like a pretty decent price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have had Raptorliner in my bed for 1 year + or -, so far I am completely happy.

The prep is not that big of a deal...unless you are too old/lazy to scuff the entire surface of the bed, then wipe it down completely with wax/grease remover.
Dad (has painted quite a bit) shot the stuff but said that a trained monkey could do it with the supplied gun.
Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle Grille Car

Reactions: beerballin

·
Registered
487 Posts
The value to have it professionally done seems to outweigh the time and effort of DIY, and coupled with a lifetime warranty, a pro job seems to make the most sense. I totally see the value of DIY on a project truck or something where every $ counts and downtime isn't a thing.

Also I went through the dealer for a Turboliner. It's a nice product, and might give you a third product/local applier to get a quote from.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This vid is what I'm looking at doing. This is a quick vid but I've watched quite a few and it doesn't look too hard to get a professional looking result. I don't mind paying a fair price for a quality service but for what they charge compared to what they actually do I just don't see this as a fair price. I'm quite sure they've got some laborer that they are paying $10-15/hr to do all the work but if this Raptor sprays out very similarly to what Linex does they are quite likely almost identical chemicals between the two products.

I'm reminded of my motorcycle where the shop wanted $300 labor on top of the bloated price for the part to install a passenger back rest on my bike. I did not like the idea of having to cut holes in my $10,000 motorcycle but I did it none the less and between me and my brother in law the whole job took 1 hour, that shop would have knocked it out in 30 mins. I did the same thing on my Camaro as they wanted like $500 to put on vinyl decals. I did it myself for $80 and it came out great. I spent like 6 hours doing it because I was taking my time for the first time through but I'll sacrifice an afternoon to not be gouged and of course it feels great when you did the work yourself and it comes out looking like the pros did it.

It is just flat out greed that the people charge so much and that greed is even worse on products like this that are often purchased with the vehicle because then so many don't know how much they actually paid for it and so the price point sticks and this gouging price becomes the norm. We need more complainers like me to put downward pressure on price :) And at the end of the day this is a truck bed, if it doesn't get a little messed up at some point then why do I even have a truck?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well, again, the other thing you're paying for is dropping off the truck every so often for a freebie respray.

As for the "greed" argument -- a whole bunch of us are quite satisfied with the price and apparently LineX is satisfied with their sales, and that's really all that is required. Each to their own. And you're right ... if a $10-15/hr lackey can produce a professional-looking result, then you probably can, too. The question is whether it's a good use of your time. For many of us, it is not.

Reactions: CO_Texan

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
We've used Herculiner (roll on) on many different vehicles..... did a 96 tacoma bed & rock sliders with it. Did 2 Jeep interior floorboard with it.

Although the kit is cheap, its a HUGE job. Use an orbital sander for prep. Use Acetone to wipe off all the dust. Use disposable paint brushes, disposable pans, and wear disposable clothing. Seriously....if this **** gets on you, on your clothes, on the floor, on the ceiling, on your asscheek LOL, it ain't coming off. If you get it on your skin - don't scrub at it, or you'll have a nasty rash. Don't use plastic or styrofoam cups, the stuff EATS right thru it.

Herculiner recommends 2 coats....and that's what I've always done. It's not very thick. If you drag something heavy across it, it will scratch or scrape off. However - touchups are simple. No prep work involved, you just paint some more on all the scratches, and you're done.

I had this stuff painted 'over the rail' on the tacoma. I also had a tonneau cover. There was a 2 inch section that was exposed to the weather 24-7. The part that was exposed to the weather - had wore off after a couple years. It literally wore thin with small rubber chunks left behind. Every 2-3 years I had to 'touch up' that section.

This stuff worked great on the Jeep floorboards (offroad trail rig). We could hose out the inside of the jeep after every trip. Basic foot traffic, it was fine.

Would I do it again? Not unless I had some beater project that I didn't want to spend the money on. But for a nice new truck? Never..... I have LineX on my truck and couldn't be happier.
Same here... did it on a 94 Geo Tracker on the inside. Is nice to hose down the interior. Pull the drain plugs and off you go. The exterior was done Herculiner Red with UV protection (hated the Fuscia color that came with it). One coat seems to last a very long time.

Here are some pics of the build.

S M's Library | Photobucket

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDPBaBIhPk

This vid is what I'm looking at doing. This is a quick vid but I've watched quite a few and it doesn't look too hard to get a professional looking result. I don't mind paying a fair price for a quality service but for what they charge compared to what they actually do I just don't see this as a fair price. I'm quite sure they've got some laborer that they are paying $10-15/hr to do all the work but if this Raptor sprays out very similarly to what Linex does they are quite likely almost identical chemicals between the two products.

I'm reminded of my motorcycle where the shop wanted $300 labor on top of the bloated price for the part to install a passenger back rest on my bike. I did not like the idea of having to cut holes in my $10,000 motorcycle but I did it none the less and between me and my brother in law the whole job took 1 hour, that shop would have knocked it out in 30 mins. I did the same thing on my Camaro as they wanted like $500 to put on vinyl decals. I did it myself for $80 and it came out great. I spent like 6 hours doing it because I was taking my time for the first time through but I'll sacrifice an afternoon to not be gouged and of course it feels great when you did the work yourself and it comes out looking like the pros did it.

It is just flat out greed that the people charge so much and that greed is even worse on products like this that are often purchased with the vehicle because then so many don't know how much they actually paid for it and so the price point sticks and this gouging price becomes the norm. We need more complainers like me to put downward pressure on price :) And at the end of the day this is a truck bed, if it doesn't get a little messed up at some point then why do I even have a truck?
It ain't hard...took me a couple hours to scuff and wipe down with wax/grease stripper...and 5-10 minutes per coat to spray (3 in my case) and then waiting for flash time in between coats. It was done in one afternoon...

Reactions: Steven Burdick

·
Registered
599 Posts
Knock yourself out then doing it, lets us know how it goes.

As for greed, own a business, you'll change your tune fast...business taxes, monthly rent/lease/mortgage payments, business insurance, unemployment insurance, employee health benefits, 401k programs, payroll services, utilities services, etc...it's not just about COG products and a $10/hr person.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Knock yourself out then doing it, lets us know how it goes.

As for greed, own a business, you'll change your tune fast...business taxes, monthly rent/lease/mortgage payments, business insurance, unemployment insurance, employee health benefits, 401k programs, payroll services, utilities services, etc...it's not just about COG products and a $10/hr person.
I'm an accountant so I get overhead and the going concern to cover direct costs enough to then cover fixed cost and be profitable overall but greed is very often a factor in business. I know what it will cost me and about how long it should take which would put them at about a 200-300% mark up and that is just greedy. I'll pay a fair price but I refuse to be taken for a ride even if everyone else is willing to. That goes for my profession too, I'm not a tax accountant but it is a crime what H&R block and the rest of them charge for a simple 1040 tax return but people pay it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.