1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
I think it’s means distressed like worn looking or old

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Well used, been there done that, weathered, shot up...Imagine Iwo Jima.
Disrespectful in general.
Any real worn flag has to have earned it then retired and revered.
Anytime the flag is flown it should be as perfect as possible for what it represents and the respect it deserves.
Is an Army or Marine dress uniform "distressed"?
Are the guards of the unknowns wearing distressed uniforms?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. Just wanted thoughts on that. That sounds right, worn, been there done that. Even tho I like the look of that sticker I didn't want an impression that I feel America is distressed.. but I get it. An upside down flag is Distressed meaning, need help..didnt know what this distressed meant...lol 200 dollar distressed jeans Ef that. I'll go to thrift store

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Show your patriotism any way you want. Battle flags and all. There are enemies of freedom living among us. Recluse and occulted, rarely leaving their communities, recruiting the soft minded, increasing in number, waiting for the time to strike. It is a flag you may have to fight for.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Show your patriotism any way you want. Battle flags and all. There are enemies of freedom living among us. Recluse and occulted, rarely leaving their communities, recruiting the soft minded, increasing in number, waiting for the time to strike. It is a flag you may have to fight for.
There are enemies of freedom in many elected offices. Most in large cities.

The decal is one that would mean much to vets as that is the flag they often see in battle.

We have one at work framed it that went through Iraq in the 90’s on a tank. It is well worn but it represents what was done by many for others.

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
25 Posts
Altering the American flag in any way is a Federal Crime. Producing a representation of a worn/ragged American flag might be considered altering the original, maybe not. Either way it is an extremely distasteful representation. The American Flag is always a symbol of strength and freedom, not ‘’been through the ringer but prevailed’’. I wouldn’t display anything like this

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71
25 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's firmly established and well known to be constitutionally protected. "Constitution says it's OK" seems like a fair standard. Don't like it, don't put it on your truck. Moving on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well used, been there done that, weathered, shot up...Imagine Iwo Jima.
Disrespectful in general.
Any real worn flag has to have earned it then retired and revered.
Anytime the flag is flown it should be as perfect as possible for what it represents and the respect it deserves.
Is an Army or Marine dress uniform "distressed"?
Are the guards of the unknowns wearing distressed uniforms?
Speaking as a Veteran, I agree.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Not a veteran, so perhaps my thoughts are not as valuable as the people who have fought and protected my rights to express my thoughts.

A flag flown should be in good condition. Framing or displaying in a museum a flag that has stood in battle with our Soldiers (Sailors, Marines, Pilots, etc.) to commemorate their service and sacrifice is fine, but to fly it, whether from a flagpole or the windshield of your vehicle, it should be in good order.

I often hear people speak of our Constitution as a living document. My dad, a member of the Greatest Generation, served in WWII and the Korean War, would have described it as a living document. Not a living document to be changed, spit on, ignored or kicked to the curb. Not a piece of paper to be displayed in a museum behind glass and under armed guard.

No, the Constitution is a living document that lives in our hearts. That has inalienable, God given rights that stand the passage of time and whose meaning does not change at the whim of some politician.

The Flag I have so frequently pledged allegiance to is a symbol of the living Constitution that allows me to drive my truck, drink a cold beer, worship my God, and type these words without fear of assault on my freedoms.

Fly it with pride.

Nothing bothers me more than to see a worn, damaged flag flying. If you have one of those, or see one, offer to take it and have it properly disposed of. The Boy Scouts of America provide this service, the American Legion does, and the Knights of Columbus often will have flag retirement ceremonies. Around the DFW area, usually every 4th of July, one of the hardware stores teams up with a local radio station to offer $6 replacement flags and they will take used flags to be properly disposed of.

(I guess included in those freedoms is the freedom to pay $200 for a pair of jeans that we would have replaced with a $25 pair of new jeans when I was a kid. )

·
Registered
289 Posts
Altering the American flag in any way is a Federal Crime.
It's firmly established and well known to be constitutionally protected.
I'm a pretty old guy and when I went to school in the seventies we used to take pride in raising and lowering the flag every day. We were taught to respect it (we were afraid to even let it touch the ground) and learned all the rules about proper disposal and such.
Now all of a sudden it's acceptable for protestors to burn a flag because it's one of the amendments in the constitution, don't know how all that happened!

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I'm a pretty old guy and when I went to school in the seventies we used to take pride in raising and lowering the flag every day. We were taught to respect it (we were afraid to even let it touch the ground) and learned all the rules about proper disposal and such.
Now all of a sudden it's acceptable for protestors to burn a flag because it's one of the amendments in the constitution, don't know how all that happened!
It was quite an honor in my school to be chosen as one of the two people assigned for 1 week at a time to raise and lower the flag.

It was the one time you did not require a hall pass: In those days if it began to rain, we took down the flag. We simply stood up, told the teacher we had flag duty, and left class to carry out our assigned task. If a teacher saw you in the hall, you simple said you were on flag duty and that was it.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
What is sad so many schools that had a flag in every room now only have one outside.

Distressed flags all come down to intent and presentation.

If you are wearing a torn one sewn to the back of a jacket that is wrong.

Now if you are presenting a distressed flag in a place of honor like the Star Spangled Banner from Fort McHenry at the Smithsonian those are in honor of the flag that is fine.

Now today we have all sorts of takes on it and even if the intent is well meaning like the Police flags with the blue stripe. I understand what they are doing but that is was never the intent of our national flag. But it could be put to worse use.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Altering the American flag in any way is a Federal Crime...
The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the national flag of the United States of America. It is Chapter 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but the penalty described in Title 18 of the United States Code (18 U.S.C. § 700) for failure to comply with it is not enforced, i.e. In 1990, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in United States v. Eichman that the prohibition of burning the U.S. flag conflicts with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech and is therefore unconstitutional.
I personally would not use an image that shows the flag in a state of disrepair, but there is no legal penalty for doing so.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I wouldn’t display anything like this
To my knowledge no one is forcing you to or even asking you to, for that matter. Thankfully, we live in a country that provides us many freedoms, including that of choice. I don't know how much longer that's going to last, but until something changes or I croak (toss up as to which will happen first), I'll defend your right to chose not to display a distressed flag as vigorously as I'll defend the rights of those who wish to do so.

I just won't bump an old thread to say so. :p

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
One caveat, If someone whises to show his patriotism with a "distressed battle flag" indicating a flag that is flown in the fight, one can be very proud of that flag and wish to display such a flag symbolizing the fight and sacrifices for freedom. I can get that.
But there is a flag that is a battle and war torn flag, and a "distressed" or neglected flag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts