Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to Chevy about installing a catch can for oil on my 2018 ZR2 and the service department were in a panic. Any thoughts on the use for preventing carbon on valves. Never had direct injection.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Hi, I put a CC on my 2018 3.6 for 30K miles and never got a drop.
I made big thread on this and even bought the oil separator that is in the engine to take pictures of for you guys.
Answer is NO, totally unnecessary in this engine because the PCV has two, I believe, baffle systems to remove oil from the air flow.
Just one of the many reasons this truck is awesome!
Another thing, at 50K, I removed my PCV boot from the intake and wiped inside the hose. Not a spec! I am actually wondering if this thing is working? I don't have any reason to believe it isn't.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
On the LGZ that you have there should be no need.

on the older LFX from 2015-2016 its a good idea to add one (info for others with the older engine that might come across this)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
GM should turn their attention to the PCV on the 2.8, as it is an oil spewing mess. Awesome they figured it out on the LGZ.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
As Iamscotticus said, its not needed. The LGZ motor does a great job of not letting blowby get into the intake.
I forgot to mention the LGZ. All 3.6 late 2017 and on should be LGZ.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your responses, and every one seems to be in agreeance on the subject. greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2016 w/ the LFX engine. Does anyone know what components on the LGZ could be swapped on to an LFX to fix the blow by issue? I don't really want to add a CC.

·
Registered
179 Posts
GM should turn their attention to the PCV on the 2.8, as it is an oil spewing mess. Awesome they figured it out on the LGZ.
So, have you installed a CC on your diesel? If so, at what mileage was the install and what results have you seen and what is your mileage now?
I bought my truck new 4/19 (a leftover with 85 mi) and am now at 6600 and just had the 1st oil change. This CC deal seems to be a big issue in some of the forum threads, but I am unsure if it is a 'nice to have' or a real need. I somewhat enjoy reading about what some/most are doing with their rides, but I am much more interested in learning about how things work and how to avoid problems for long-term use and enjoyment.

Reactions: another one

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I have a 2016 w/ the LFX engine. Does anyone know what components on the LGZ could be swapped on to an LFX to fix the blow by issue? I don't really want to add a CC.
Not possible to swap LGZ components on an LFX. All totally different design. Best you can do is add a catch can, as soon as possible. May I ask, what you have against adding a CC? The LFX engine really needs one, in order to even attempt to cut down on the valve coking.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
So, have you installed a CC on your diesel? If so, at what mileage was the install and what results have you seen and what is your mileage now?
Being insane, I brought my Provent 200, hoses and tools with me when I did a fly and buy on my truck. Pulled out of Laura Buick/GMC in Collinsville IL into a self storage facility down the road, popped the hood and installed the Provent. I think the truck had gone at most 10 miles in it's life without a catch can. Drove the 840 miles home to Colorado after that.

The truck has 38K on it now, the intake is dry and completely spotless of oil. Tuned the truck at 10K, part of the tune calibrations is EGR is turned off, no no more soot either. By 10K, the intake was coated with a layer of dry soot, but no oil. Dry soot does not get thick and accumulate, but oil plus soot = intake clogging goo. You don't want goo, hence the desire to add a catch can.

To date my Canyon has been flawless, knock on wood. They will have to pry this truck from my clutching fingers!

·
Registered
447 Posts
On the LGZ that you have there should be no need.

on the older LFX from 2015-2016 its a good idea to add one (info for others with the older engine that might come across this)
Yes, indeed, I am amazed at how much I catch with my catch can system.

Reactions: Rxman47

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Yes, indeed, I am amazed at how much I catch with my catch can system.
What CC did you use? Do you use a clean side line to the throttle body?

·
Registered
447 Posts
What CC did you use? Do you use a clean side line to the throttle body?
I use the Elite 2 port catch can system from Elite Engineering. I bought it and installed within 3 mos of buying my truck back in Sept of 2016. I just emptied it yesterday and like I said it is amazing the amount of junk it keeps out of the intake. Winter months I empty it maybe 1 a month. Along with my PC, this system is money well spent and definitely helps keep things cleaner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use the Elite 2 port catch can system from Elite Engineering. I bought it and installed within 3 mos of buying my truck back in Sept of 2016. I just emptied it yesterday and like I said it is amazing the amount of junk it keeps out of the intake. Winter months I empty it maybe 1 a month. Along with my PC, this system is money well spent and definitely helps keep things cleaner.
Did almost the same. This is from 2 oil changes, about 11000 miles. Mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic.
Roughly 12 oz. 7D56A59B-961A-4850-B091-ACAA404F096E.jpeg

·
Registered
179 Posts
Being insane, I brought my Provent 200, hoses and tools with me when I did a fly and buy on my truck. Pulled out of Laura Buick/GMC in Collinsville IL into a self storage facility down the road, popped the hood and installed the Provent. I think the truck had gone at most 10 miles in it's life without a catch can. Drove the 840 miles home to Colorado after that.

The truck has 38K on it now, the intake is dry and completely spotless of oil. Tuned the truck at 10K, part of the tune calibrations is EGR is turned off, no no more soot either. By 10K, the intake was coated with a layer of dry soot, but no oil. Dry soot does not get thick and accumulate, but oil plus soot = intake clogging goo. You don't want goo, hence the desire to add a catch can.

To date my Canyon has been flawless, knock on wood. They will have to pry this truck from my clutching fingers!
Well, I just added a Provent 200 to my truck at 7,700 mi, and I am looking forward to see the results over the next several thousand! I am not into the 'tuning deal', but will be curious to see the intake later. Right now it was pretty clean and dry.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Premium Member
2,920 Posts
Reactions: streamintrip
1 - 20 of 31 Posts