Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Dilemna : 2017 CC Colorado Z71 Longbox vs 2016 Canyon EC Longbox LTE

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  16WhiteColly 
#1 ·
A little history first.

I bought my current Colorado about a year and a half ago ( with about 15k miles ) with the intent that I needed a truck for an upcoming large construction project ( new garage ). At that time, I was looking for just an extended cab but the only one I could find used was a Crew Cab longbox. I love the truck EXCEPT it is extremely loooong. Like longer than some of the full-size 1500's. Longer than my last truck which was a 2000 F150 extended cab.

I thought I would get used to the length but it has become just a frustration.

Which brings me to this week. I found a used 2016 Canyon LTE with an extended cab ( longbox ) that seems to fit the shorter bill while retaining the desirable 6+ ft bed. Its got almost twice the miles that my current Colorado has but it is a CPO that looks to be in really good condition. Drove it briefly to see if it had the 6 speed "chuggle" but there was no obvious hesitation. Mechanically seems fine, brakes do not pulse and there was even wear all around.

So my question is this : This would be an "even swap". What other issues are there comparing a 2016 and 2017 version of the Twins besides what is obvious ( 6 speed vs 8, No Apple Carplay etc in 2016 )?

I don't mind taking a hit mileage wise, I put very few miles on my "second cars" ( current truck has less 10k for 15 mos ) so that's not an issue. The warranty is good on the CPO's and it would be covered to 100k. I just want to be sure that there are no other gotchas with going back one model year.

And yes, I've been pouring over the forums trying to see any relevant 2016/6 speed issues, just didn't know if anyone else went through this. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Amazing how 12" affects folks. The CC long has 12" longer cab, wheelbase,and 3ft more turn radius.vs the Ext Cab.
The 16 has CarPlay and AA.
16 has LFX engine, 17 has LGZ.

#3 ·
Yeah, just take it to a dealer and verify the trans and radio have the most current updates. You'll be down 3hp and 6 lb-ft of torque with 12" less cab weight... should feel about the same. I believe the oil filter change is also slightly different. I'm looking to make the opposite size change - hope I don't regret it.

#5 ·
if dealer being a pain, he either wants to deal or just just being a pain, lots of otherused extended cab's out there

check cargurus.com for other trucks in you area, I bought a used Canyon 400 miles away, cause it was what I wanted..

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
#6 ·
Well the simplest point is if you are finding the length of your current truck to be frustrating. Swap it.
But so you have this information:
Colorado Crew Cab Long Bed
Length (inches)
Silverado Regular Cab Long Box
Length (inches)

#7 ·
Figured I would "complete" this thread. Long story short, I did NOT trade the Z71, mostly due to the dealership being "difficult" about the trade. Got tired of the usual dealership bullshit and just stopped the whole discussion. If they had simply honored my request to swap my ( nearly new ) Z71 tires onto the truck, it would have been a done deal. Not only soured me on the deal but on the dealership as well, will not be going back there for any of my future GM needs.

#8 ·
A good dealership can make a world of difference.
Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

#9 ·
The buying experience only last a couple of hours, dealership experience lasts the life of the vehicle.

Reactions: gherbert
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.