Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...this has probably been beaten to death, but whats the opinion.2.8 DM or the 6 cyl?
I'm going to get a 4x4 Colorado this Fall, may even order a 2021 if I can't find the color/options I want.

My situation....Live at 4200' in North Central Montana. We can and do get -20 to -30F and below from time to time. Winter (cold weather) here lasts from Oct to April. or longer. This past year we got over 100" of snow so thats an issue too. I'd fit some Blizzaks or good snows so that should be fine.

A trip to town for me is 45 miles one way. 85% of that is Interstate where I can legally run 80 mph. And I like to run 80-85mph as the drive is super old and boring.

I also do a run down to Reno/No Cal twice a year., And usually one in the Spring down to AZ, NM to visit friends and get away from the snow. My avg annual is probably 20K. With an extra 2K-6K above and beyond that average possible if I choose to. I do have other vehicles as well and occasionally take one of those for these long trips down south.

Access to winter blend diesel or DEF not an issue. I also have a garage where the truck would reside with block heater plug in available.

Will 80 mph kill fuel economy negating the diesel higher MPG moot?

I doubt I'll get much better than 20-21 mpg with the V6. If I could get 25 or better with the DM I'd be happy.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel
10 Posts
I don't know how it would be at 80mph, but at 70-75 I'm getting easily over 25mpg average on the highway with a 2020 Canyon Denali with the Duramax Diesel. The info center tracks your last 50 mile rolling average. Typically I'm around 27/28 mpg with mostly highway, more like 24/25 city. The mileage screen also tracks your "best" average, and it's currently at 31mpg. That was probably when I took a longer drive and had a 50 mile stretch of all highway with no traffic so I was just cruising nice and smooth.

Of course, the diesel costs a lot more, so you're going to need a lot of miles to break even. I think it's more of a preference thing, and also if you plan to tow anything. The other consideration is if it's going to bother you that you don't have great acceleration with the diesel. It's slow off the line for sure. I'm not heavy footed, but coming from a Grand Cherokee to the Canyon was noticeable, and the GC didn't even have a hemi, just the base V6 :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BP,

Appreciate the input. No towing, And having to break even to the dollar is not a big dal to me. Never had a diesel, so a bit of an adventure there.

And the diesel would be useful hunting season to crawl around retrieving deer/elk.

Regarding acceleration...my other car is a Porsche...so thats not a huge deal to me. LOL.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the answer to the question is relatively simple. If it's your daily driver and you rarely carry a load or tow, then the V6 is enough. However, if you are loaded or tow a lot, the diesel is best option. The extra torque is awesome and the fuel economy is incredible. My truck is regularly around 6,000lbs and still get over 30mpg on highway at 65. On a long trip at 50mph, recorded 47mpg over 50 miles. I have had a few TANK averages at 30-32mpg. This is calculated data, not DIC info. 575 miles on a tank and the fuel light didn't even come on yet.

At nearly 60,000 miles, my lifetime fuel economy is a little over 26mpg (calculated, not DIC or OnStar info). Phenomenal for a 6,000 lb truck.

One thing to realize is while the Diesel is low on horsepower, it has the same amount of torque as the Vortex 6.0 liter V8's used in the 2007-2012 3/4 ton GM pickups. The diesel is literally 1/2 the engine of the 6liter V8's, but has same amount of torque and way better fuel economy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Had my Diesel ZR2 for a little over 1 year now and love the truck; by far it is the vehicle I want to drive over my others. It will go, just takes a bit of getting accustomed to in how to make it go. From a stop or slow roll don’t floor it and no need to ring it to 3400 rpm - take it to about 2400 rpm let it shift (rpm’s drop) and easy press back into throttle.
It is well planted at 90 mph on the highway (so I’ve been told) and if driven conservatively has attained 32 mpg for over 100 miles - w/cruse set at 65 mph, ~ sea level, no headwind (ZR2 is a lifted Colorado). On that tank I obtained a final of 25 mpg driving (I got 500 miles to the tank): > 200 miles highway, 30 miles heavy stop-n-go city traffic, trail blazing in 4 Lo on family land and later towing a 2600 lb trailer, and another 100 highway miles in the TX Hill Country (lots of hills).
This is my first Diesel and I’m beyond satisfied with my purchase.

·
Registered
2017 All Terrain 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
577 Posts
I think the answer to the question is relatively simple. If it's your daily driver and you rarely carry a load or tow, then the V6 is enough. However, if you are loaded or tow a lot, the diesel is best option. The extra torque is awesome and the fuel economy is incredible. My truck is regularly around 6,000lbs and still get over 30mpg on highway at 65. On a long trip at 50mph, recorded 47mpg over 50 miles. I have had a few TANK averages at 30-32mpg. This is calculated data, not DIC info. 575 miles on a tank and the fuel light didn't even come on yet.

At nearly 60,000 miles, my lifetime fuel economy is a little over 26mpg (calculated, not DIC or OnStar info). Phenomenal for a 6,000 lb truck.

One thing to realize is while the Diesel is low on horsepower, it has the same amount of torque as the Vortex 6.0 liter V8's used in the 2007-2012 3/4 ton GM pickups. The diesel is literally 1/2 the engine of the 6liter V8's, but has same amount of torque and way better fuel economy.
the diesel is also going to be your best fit for a rural lifestyle. everything 17CCSB said and more, the gas trucks can't beat the range and utility of the diesel.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a diesel. I like it a lot and I have no plans of trading it out for anything else but...

I live near sea level in a relatively flat area. I try to avoid unnecessary short trips. I don't tow. I drive fairly slow for mileage. I was tuned for nearly half of my 47k miles but I am back to running 100% OEM. My actual calculated overall mileage is 25.96mpg. Prior to break in mileage was a little lower. MPG bumped up a few when tuned and back down a couple when returned to OEM. I would never expect anything close to 25 if I regularly drove 80-85. I'll never understand some of the stats I see posted - and I'm just fine with that.

Beyond all of that I would suggest that the gasoline engines have more highly evolved emission systems and will almost certainly be less trouble in the long term. I don't know that I would expect 20-21 driving the 6 as such either.
The Great Carnac says - maybe 17 in the V6 and 19-20 in the diesel. On a good day.

I suggest the V6. You don't need to buy a diesel to validate my choice. It's just my toy. For that matter, test drive a Ranger as well, though the base model with the delete of the worthless rear seats may be the best choice. Honestly I would like to see the Ranger powertrain in the twins.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Agree w/ Chuck_B
’try to avoid unnecessary short trips... & would never expect anything close to 25 [mpg] if I regularly drove 80-85 [mph].’

Anything from 70 mph and under and the diesel will do well on the highway; I’ve found 65 mph to be the sweet spot. My lifetime average is 22.6. I live in a somewhat large and hilly city, rarely make it to the highway, but do hit the freeway regularly. I have the GM Performance steel driveshaft (heavier than the OEM aluminum by I think 6 lbs), heavier 10 ply tires (by about 10 lbs ea) and I have a bed rack and a RTT on for about 9 months which adds weight and the tent adds significant drag. So 23-24 average mpg in a ZR2 (lifted) is attainable, obviously better mpg in the non lifted/non 4x4 versions (depending on variables).

·
Registered
661 Posts
Agree w/ Chuck_B
’try to avoid unnecessary short trips... & would never expect anything close to 25 [mpg] if I regularly drove 80-85 [mph].’

Anything from 70 mph and under and the diesel will do well on the highway; I’ve found 65 mph to be the sweet spot. My lifetime average is 22.6. I live in a somewhat large and hilly city, rarely make it to the highway, but do hit the freeway regularly. I have the GM Performance steel driveshaft (heavier than the OEM aluminum by I think 6 lbs), heavier 10 ply tires (by about 10 lbs ea) and I have a bed rack and a RTT on for about 9 months which adds weight and the tent adds significant drag. So 23-24 average mpg in a ZR2 (lifted) is attainable, obviously better mpg in the non lifted/non 4x4 versions (depending on variables).
I found 59 to 60 best. Below that you are hunting gears and giving up mileage to unnecessary rpm.

That's not why I posted though. Is 93Duc a reference to a '93 Ducati? If so - let's see a pic.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I don't think anyone touched on how the elevation is going to make a difference with the gas V6 and the diesel won't even notice because of the turbo. N/A gas engines at higher elevations can really suck and the turbo vehicles don't even care. No problems with the diesel in the winter, biggest issue would be fuel gelling if parked outside so you'd want to make sure the fuel is properly winterized. Cold starts, as long as the fuel is still liquid, are a piece of cake and the diesel actually generates heat quite quickly in the winter as it also has an electric heater assist that will kick in initially if needed. I've got warm air coming from my vents within a couple of miles or so.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't think anyone touched on how the elevation is going to make a difference with the gas V6 and the diesel won't even notice because of the turbo. N/A gas engines at higher elevations can really suck and the turbo vehicles don't even care. No problems with the diesel in the winter, biggest issue would be fuel gelling if parked outside so you'd want to make sure the fuel is properly winterized. Cold starts, as long as the fuel is still liquid, are a piece of cake and the diesel actually generates heat quite quickly in the winter as it also has an electric heater assist that will kick in initially if needed. I've got warm air coming from my vents within a couple of miles or so.
Either will pull him around just fine. He can always hop in the P-car when he wants to rip. For that matter I don't think I would put the 2.8 up against a 17+ V6 even at his altitude.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
As for the diesel, if one is truly honest, it is pretty hard to justify it in dollars and cents. I bought the diesel simply because it is different and super cool to drive, especially once all the compromises are tuned out of it. Sadly the diesel tuning game is over now in the US.

I love my diesel but if interested now, I would wait for the 2.7 turbo 4 banger. Best of both worlds right there, with forced induction elevation compensating beefy low end torque and a stiff dose of top end horsepower to motivate the Twins format in a spirited way, no tuning brain damage or warranty voiding needed, just get in and drive :cool: Nobody will miss the V6 once the 2.7 hits.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I found 59 to 60 best. Below that you are hunting gears and giving up mileage to unnecessary rpm.
That's not why I posted though. Is 93Duc a reference to a '93 Ducati? If so - let's see a pic.
That’s true, 59-60 mph being the best for economy.
Yes, I’ve had 2 ‘93 Ducati’s - first one bought new in ‘93. Wore it out in the hills west of Austin, Tx - sent it to FBF (Eraldo Ferracci of Fast by Ferracci) for an engine refresh and performance upgrades. A few years later a friend convinced me to sell it to him. I soon regretted it. A short time later my fiancé bought me another one as a wedding gift.
I’ll post pics soon.

·
Registered
661 Posts
That’s true, 59-60 mph being the best for economy.
Yes, I’ve had 2 ‘93 Ducati’s - first one bought new in ‘93. Wore it out in the hills west of Austin, Tx - sent it to FBF (Eraldo Ferracci of Fast by Ferracci) for an engine refresh and performance upgrades. A few years later a friend convinced me to sell it to him. I soon regretted it. A short time later my fiancé bought me another one as a wedding gift.
I’ll post pics soon.
I'd say she is a keeper. Mine is too. 35 years on Sunday.

Never one to use equipment for its intended purpose - here's a photo of my 2013 ZX636 full dress touring bike. I also have a KTM EXCF350 that has appeared on this board but I haven't been out bouncing off stumps for a while. Seems I keep getting more brittle.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Knew my wife was a keeper for sure when she said yes to me buying this back in 2001. Was 45 years for us this past January.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
One of the "problems" with a diesel is that they are very efficient. Heat is a wasted byproduct of combustion. The diesel doesn't produce a lot of heat. So it can take 2-3 times as long to heat up on a cold morning compared to gas. Since you'll be parked in the garage with a plug in most of the time, probably not an issue for you. The normal operating temp of the diesel is about 175*. In real winter storms, I sometimes have trouble keeping the windshield clear.

Normally aspirated engines lose 2-3% of their power per thousand feet of altitude. A turbo easily regains that by maintaining cylinder pressure. I live at 6,200', and frequently travel above 10,000'. The turbo is really nice. It easily pulls big hills at 75mph without downshifting.

I drove my brand new truck from CO to MO. I set the cruise control at 80mph and let it eat. I averaged 27mpg. Best fuel mileage seems to be about 62-63 mph; I get 33-34mpg there.

A side effect of that is the extended range. on the highway at 80mph, my range is about 500 miles. At lower speeds it's over 600 miles. I drove my 2016 diesel Colorado from Coldfoot, AK, to Prudhoe Bay, AK, and back on one tank of fuel. That's good because fuel in Prudhoe Bay was VERY expensive. You can also get an aftermarket 36 gallon tank from Titan; that could give you a range of over 1,000 miles! Titan says the tank is only for diesel engines. That will be my next "big" mod for my truck.

Yes, the diesel engine option costs more to purchase. It also costs more to feed and maintain. If you're looking for a break even point in your kind of driving, it's something like 75K miles. Unless you tow or haul heavy loads, it doesn't make financial sense.

That being said, I love my diesel! I love the low end grunt and power. I love the range. It's very quiet and smooth - very un-diesel like. I like it so much, that when I wore out the 2016, I bought a 2020. :)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yes, I’ve had 2 ‘93 Ducati’s - first one bought new in ‘93. Wore it out in the hills west of Austin, Tx - sent it to FBF (Eraldo Ferracci of Fast by Ferracci) for an engine refresh and performance upgrades. A few years later a friend convinced me to sell it to him. I soon regretted it. A short time later my fiancé bought me another one as a wedding gift. I’ll post pics soon.
Of your wife? Forget the bike, I wanna see pics of this rare unicorn moto goddess :cool: You hit the jackpot my friend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
... and if it ever becomes possible to tune
,and you run stock tires
,and you try hard enough,
,and drive at 55 mph
.. you can get numbers like this (without the stock air-dam BTW)

More realistically, .. i'm at a lifetime average of about 28 mpg (as per the DIC) , .. and regularly break 35+ mpg on highway . Stock was about 3 - 4 mpg less

·
Registered
148 Posts
These where from acouple days ago.
Almost 3500 miles atm and 24.8.
I reset that trip when I purchased not long ago.

V6, mostly interstate cruise set 73 - 76

I test drove several, I did not like the diesel, the baby max did not have enough giddy up for me. I would have to have a tune and delete to get the numbers closer to what I wanted, but figured if I spent that much in addons how much more could I get out of the v6 :)
Have not lifted yet and milage will be going down when these tires wear out and new set with lift gets installed.

For how much idk, wish I did.

But the direct injected v6 was what I wanted.
If the i6 duramax was in the canyon, that that would be my hands down, but the 2 8 was to small for me.

I went with a 16, i did not want the 17+ with the 8 speed trans, my rental for 3 weeks was a colorado and with the double overdrive it drove me nutts constnlantly shifting when cruising down the interstate.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
This is about the best I can expect in my 3.6. Almost perfect spring like conditions. Thats about 25mpg US or 30mpg UK for all you old schoolers. All highway at 60 mph.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts