Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Want to make another of those aluminum oil filter caps? I did the first oil change on my new Colorado Diesel and was amazed at how flimsy the filter cap is. I looked for one that was aluminum, but was not able to find one, so I ordered the stock one to have as a spare. But I would rather have a billet aluminum filter cap as well as the oil fill cap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed an Amsoil bypass setup on a diesel boat that I owned for several years, because I hated how black the oil was within a couple of hours of changing it. With the Amsoil system in place the oil was definitely cleaner looking all the time; it never ever got to that black, opaque look that is typical of diesels. There was a slight oil pressure drop, but, as I remember, it was only a pound or two lower than stock when under way. The system I bought removed the stock filter, added one 'normal' Amsoil filter, then a tiny bit of the oil was sent to the bypass filter, a super-low-micron filter that removed the soot. Shoulda taken it off the boat before selling it!

·
Registered
45 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
We are a bunch of bubble bursters arent we? lol
We’ll see down the road if the OP knows more than the GM engineers! If you are looking to see clean oil on a diesel, you can give up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my 2.8 Duramax kit from InsaneDiesel.com! They have a custom Parker T fitting to pull oil pressure from (seriously, you can't find that part anywhere else) and the oil return is easily done using their custom oil filler cap. This installation literally took me 38 minutes to complete, it was way, way easy!

The green colored one is on sale right now here https://insanediesel.com/products/duramax-2-8l-chevy-colorado-gmc-canyon-bypass-oil-filter-kit/

Installation guide is found here https://insanediesel.com/2-8l-duramax-chevy-colorado-and-gmc-canyon-installation-guide/

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have always been curious how much of a benefit these play in just normal driving vehicles aka non-commercial...

Years ago my grandfather before he passed away ran a trucking company for over 40+ years and something he always placed on all his trucks the drivers used was centrifuge filters. He swore by them because all the trucks he installed them on would go 900K+ miles before showing signs of needing to be overhauled, but the few he didn't install them barely got pass 400k before showing signs of needing to be overhauled. He never really used them to extend the life of the oil, but as extra means of protecting the engine, changing the oil at the same intervals the manufacture recommended, faithfully using Rotella oil.

He had a 1995 Ram 2500 Cummins pickup he drove around personally and installed one of those setups on it and after he passed I drove that truck to until I sold it with 485k on the engine, but I can't tell you if it helped extend the life of that pickup or not, since the 12v Cummins are well known these days for reliability. All I know is I would pop the top off the centrifuge and there would be this thick layer of tar-like substance that was slung out of the oil and i would take a blade and scrape it out, spray it with some brake cleaner and run it another 1k miles and do it all again. I can tell you that truck ran like clockwork, it never consumed any oil and ran perfectly with no excess smoking even with 485k on it, i only sold it because i was not driving it as much, because it was a single cab truck and towing around a wife and 2 kids were not exactly something it could do safely..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance your machine shop friend would be willing to make more of those filter caps? I can reach out to them if you don't want to be the middle man...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does anyone have an oil system diagram for the 2.8? This is clean, and if it checks out hydraulically, I could see making up a bunch of these...

·
Registered
515 Posts
IMHO, the people who would benefit the most from this are the ones keeping the emissions systems stock & want to keep the truck as long as possible. It would filter out the soot particles that are very abrasive to the inside of engine.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts