Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finally got around to installing this. Works great no codes or issues. Can take it off and put it back to stock in 15min. No one will even know it was there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Is this a by pass or just a remote filter? You should not try to use a by pass filter as an only filter, as while it filters very fine particles, it's much slower than a regular filter and thus can leave things in the oil system longer than they should be there.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
The way the hose routing is done it definitely appears to be a bypass, but I would be very curious about the oil pressure drop from using that kit. Don't think you'll be able to tell by looking at the oil pressure screen on the DIC because the bypass is after the sensor, the last thing you'd want is to starve parts of the engine of oil due to the oil pressure loss from running a bypass kit off the oil filter cap.

Judging by the OP's username, I'm guessing they do a lot of driving and this is so they can extend oil drain intervals out and not have to do oil changes every 2 months. Cutting that down to around 1 per year would save around $250/yr.

If not to extend the oil change interval then there's no point in running a bypass.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I know nothing about this kind of thing, but I really like that metal cap on the oil filter housing.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Finally got around to installing this. Works great no codes or issues. Can take it off and put it back to stock in 15min. No one will even know it was there.
does this just take some of the oil from the filter housing, filter it then dump it back into the filler tube? What good thing exactly is is supposed to do? Filter finer particles is my guess, is that it?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Is this a by pass or just a remote filter? You should not try to use a by pass filter as an only filter, as while it filters very fine particles, it's much slower than a regular filter and thus can leave things in the oil system longer than they should be there.
I think the problem with that kind of remote setup you discribe is the oil flows too slow, not leaving things in the system really, but not moving oil fast enough to keep the wearing surfaces cool. That and the pressure after the filter would be lower too.

I understand wanting to clean the oil with a small particulate filter but at what cost really? Right? It seems like a great idea in theory but I wouldn't mess with my oiling system, that is something I think you need to rely on GM to do.

So when they run these do they test the oil and then try to determine the longest possible change interval? Is that the point, saving on oil?

I'm guessing some big rig diesels have these built on by the manufacturer? Key word being "manufacturer".

I would only do this if it had its own pump system. Actually I would never do this, don't drive enough to worry about oil cost I suppose ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I think the problem with that kind of remote setup you discribe is the oil flows too slow, not leaving things in the system really, but not moving oil fast enough to keep the wearing surfaces cool. That and the pressure after the filter would be lower too.

I understand wanting to clean the oil with a small particulate filter but at what cost really? Right? It seems like a great idea in theory but I wouldn't mess with my oiling system, that is something I think you need to rely on GM to do.

So when they run these do they test the oil and then try to determine the longest possible change interval? Is that the point, saving on oil?

I'm guessing some big rig diesels have these built on by the manufacturer? Key word being "manufacturer".

I would only do this if it had its own pump system. Actually I would never do this, don't drive enough to worry about oil cost I suppose ;)

Yeah, most big rigs have them and can go up to 100,000 miles between oil changes. The bypass filters just take a portion of the oil and run it through a fine filter (1-2 micron?) and then dump it back into the pan while the factory full-flow filters keep doing what they normally do.

Then yeah, oil analysis to determine how long they can go or when they need to replenish the oil additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I ran a by pass system on my 1 ton. It consisted of two filters: on regular filter that performed the standard filtration process and the by pass filter which filtered at the rate of 5% of the oil, so it took around 45 minutes (IIRC) to filter all the oil one time. It was sold by Amsoil, and even their stand alone by pass system requires the regular filter be left in place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is an exact copy of the stock filter housing. The stock filter is under the cap. I had a friend at a machine shop make the parts for me.

Yes its the kit from Amsoil. Instead of taping into the oil pressure line I have a pressure port through the housing. You can buy these type of housing for other engines just not this one. If I had some money for the molds I would mass produce it.

The filler cap and bracket are also homemade.

So far so good. Just thought you guys would like to see what i did for your own purposes.

Yes it is supposed to extend the oil life and I do drive a tremendous amount.

I have about 8k miles on it and changed the oil once. If your expecting clean looking oil like the commercial you will be sadly disappointed. Ill send samples in when I get around to it. They will be before and after samples so I'll know if they are full of BS.

And if it breaks something... Well that's the other point.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
If your expecting clean looking oil like the commercial you will be sadly disappointed.

Ha ha - that's totally true!

A moron at Sears tried to tell me my full size Duramax oil was the dirtiest oil he'd ever seen and that I needed to change it. I had changed it less that 1k previously, and I was in Sears to get the batteries replaced, not for a damn oil change. He became quite insistent until I offered him a deal: He could change the oil and if it was just as 'dirty' in 500 miles, he'd have to give me back my money. He shut up and didn't say another word. He was either trying to take my money, or knew nothing about diesels. What's worse on the full size Duramax is the oil pan holds about two cups of dirty oil no matter how long you let it drain. It's a design flaw, IMHO. An outfit named Banana Pan makes a replacement pan with a flat bottom, but changing the oil pan is about a 3 to 4 hour ordeal.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I ran a by pass system on my 1 ton. It consisted of two filters: on regular filter that performed the standard filtration process and the by pass filter which filtered at the rate of 5% of the oil, so it took around 45 minutes (IIRC) to filter all the oil one time. It was sold by Amsoil, and even their stand alone by pass system requires the regular filter be left in place.
how long could you stretch the oil change intervals on this truck? Did you test the oil and all that? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
how long could you stretch the oil change intervals on this truck? Did you test the oil and all that? Just curious.

The by pass filter mount had a place you could get a sample of the oil from w/o making a big mess, or if you have a Fumoto valve, it works well for this too. Yes, I did send samples in for analysis. Turn around time was about 10 days. I used Blackstone but there are others out there now. I read about people going 20,000 miles, but I always changed at 1 year, which was usually around 12 -14K miles. The thing to remember with a by pass kit is that while it does filter the oil better, it does extend the life of the oil additives, nor can it filter out non solids like acids. That's why I limited my changes to yearly.

·
Registered
773 Posts
DEF never touches oil or engine components.
True, however EGR and soot do have a big impact on oil. GDE tune shuts off EGR and lowers soot load which helps our oil quite a bit. I no longer have black sooty oil within 10 miles after an oil change like I did stock. I think that is more what this poster meant.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Nice work creating that cool bypass system. Since you drive so much, weigh in on how your diesel holds up in general.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts