Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is my 35K oil sample. Still using the Mobil 0W40 Dexos 2. Dumped another 4 ounces of water out of catch can. Miles on oil is 4,803. Will sample and change again at 40K. As I found when sampling a dodge 12V back in the 90s,....my better analysis occur in the heat of the summer with poorer results over winter.

jjw
ND
Text Font Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Throw my UOA in here. Missed the 40k oil change like an idiot because I was just returning after 3mo away and in a hurry. lol. 45k in a couple months will hopefully be solid for the T6. I ran ACDELCO Oil filters the first 15k (from the dealer) and run UFI now, which make the filters for ACDELCO. ACDELCO Fuel filters changed every 20k, and ACDELCO air filters every 10k.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here's mine.

As noted in another thread, I cashed my dealership oil change in at 500 (no sample), then got a DIC low oil warning a 3900 (it comes on at ~2.5-3 qts low, FYI). I'm not completely sure what happened, and probably never will be. The dealership performed their oil consumption test, and it consumed nothing. I typically change my oil "on the 5s", and did so with this being the first post-break in change. I'm sure the first 500 probably would have had some additional block/ring/bearing in it. Despite the 3 AWOL qts, the numbers look pretty OK, and I expect they'll look better going forward.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
2021 ZR2 Bison, duramax diesel and completely stock .
183 Posts
Very informative thread . Enjoyed reading this and mulling the Blackstone option when my first oil change is due .

·
Registered
459 Posts
Haven't driven this thing much since COVID became the new normal. It's a bone stock CCLB 4x4 All Terrain X with 36K miles. Letting it sit, also contributed to the battery going out early. Oil was 19 months old and had ~ 8200 miles on it. Refilled with Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 (CJ-4 Formula) as Biosyn has gotten very expensive in the last few years.

Very low soot % and Manganese is from TDR-FL diesel fuel additive.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Just got my latest UOA, overall it looks good but the viscosity is out of spec. What I don't know is if it was low to begin with or if it sheared down. Whatever the case, it didn't increase wear. The concern is what I have in general with boutique oils that lack actual certifications and that is you cannot rely on their claims to be true. The oil for this sample, Hot Shot's Secret Blue Diamond 5w40 PAO, claims to meet ACEA E9. ACEA E9 specs require the oil to stay in-grade and you can see this oil clearly falls outside of the viscosity range required to be an SAE 40 oil. The previous UOA using Valvoline Premium Blue 5w-40 stayed in-grade like it was supposed to.

I never planned on sticking with the HSS oil, it was provided for evaluation purposes and I wanted to see what the UOA said. In terms of wear it did great. In terms of actually meeting the listed specs and staying in-grade it failed.

White Black Font Material property Parallel

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
From August. Forgot to post it up

Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle Symmetry

·
Registered
1 Posts
@DieselDrax
I work at Hot Shot's Secret and wanted to respond to your post.

Since our oils are PAO based, they typically run slightly thinner, however in this case your oil should not have a viscosity level under specification, all oil sold by us is thoroughly quality checked to ensure nothing leaves our plant under or over specification. Shearing is very unlikely due to virtually no viscosity modifiers present. I noticed you have a molybdenum content and I am wondering whether additives were used in addition to our oil? Typically using an additive would not reduce viscosity due to the volume used. The oil we use is technically certified for ACEA E9 through API, however with the inclusion of FR3 in our blending process, we are not allowed to claim that, due to alterations being made to the oil. In your case, it is interesting why our oil is of lower viscosity, like the report says no harm would be caused by this, however it is still interesting nonetheless.

If you still have some of this oil retained, we would greatly appreciate a sample so that we may do testing of our own. This situation is concerning as a company and we would very much like to get to the bottom of this. As for you, we would like to offer a refund for your purchase of this oil if you are interested. If you would like, we can send you an oil analysis kit so that you can send a sample, shipping paid for, we would need an address provided, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to providing more in-depth answers post-testing.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
@ARCowboy I work at Hot Shot's Secret and wanted to respond to your post.

Since our oils are PAO based, they typically run slightly thinner, however in this case your oil should not have a viscosity level under specification, all oil sold by us is thoroughly quality checked to ensure nothing leaves our plant under or over specification. Shearing is very unlikely due to virtually no viscosity modifiers present. I noticed you have a molybdenum content and I am wondering whether additives were used in addition to our oil? Typically using an additive would not reduce viscosity due to the volume used. The oil we use is technically certified for ACEA E9 through API, however with the inclusion of FR3 in our blending process, we are not allowed to claim that, due to alterations being made to the oil. In your case, it is interesting why our oil is of lower viscosity, like the report says no harm would be caused by this, however it is still interesting nonetheless.

If you still have some of this oil retained, we would greatly appreciate a sample so that we may do testing of our own. This situation is concerning as a company and we would very much like to get to the bottom of this. As for you, we would like to offer a refund for your purchase of this oil if you are interested. If you would like, we can send you an oil analysis kit so that you can send a sample, shipping paid for, we would need an address provided, thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to providing more in-depth answers post-testing.
Hi, actually you're probably meaning to tag me instead since I was running the HSS Blue Diamond. :) I'm not sure if it was you or someone else there I had worked with previously, but this oil was already provided at no charge for evaluation (I'll PM you my contact info and the ticket number from earlier this year). I do have the old oil still, however...I have no idea which jugs I drained it into and it's likely mixed with my wife's oil so the old oil is effectively useless here. I don't use any oil additives with this truck, never have. I do have some virgin oil left in the bottle and would be happy to send a sample of it back to you for testing (Was given 2 gallons and truck only takes 6 quarts), at least then you'd know if the fresh oil shows any issues or not. The oil change just prior to using the HSS oil I used Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40. I didn't do any UOA with that so I have no idea what the moly content would've been, but I would be surprised if that much moly showed up from a previous oil considering I let the filter housing and pan drain for 20 minutes to get as much old oil out as I can.

Oil sample was also collected with the oil hot and engine running, just cracked open the Fumoto valve and drained it right into the sample container that I shipped off.

Thanks for reaching out and happy to see a company seeking out users and looking for info when concerns are posted up.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
22 Posts
A 3-fer today from my Colorado UOAs, 50K and 57K oil change and 58K ATF change.

50K oil sample notes:
50642 miles on engine; 8610 miles on oil at time of change. Most driving was ~10 mile trips with a mix of highway and local roads. Always enough to get engine up to temp. All other driving highway, 30-50 mile trips, a few 200-300 miles.

57K transmission fluid sample notes:
This was the factory fill ATF, so I can only guess that it is ACDelco DEXRON VI ATF. There was 1554.5 hours on the fluid. Blackstone has been doing oil analysis on this vehicle since new if you are interested in driving conditions this transmission has seen.

58K oil sample notes:
58024 miles on engine; 7382 miles on oil at time of change. Most driving was 5-10 mile trips with a mix of highway and local roads. Always enough to get engine up to temp. All other driving highway, 30-50 mile trips, 6 longer trips @ 200-225 miles.

--Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I run 5w-30 Penzoil Euro L in the Canyon and our 2.0L Diesel Cruze.
All the other diesels get standard 15w-40.
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Symmetry

·
Registered
459 Posts
@DieselDrax

What does "PAO Based" mean? What % of PAO do you use in your formula? As we both know PAO has really great cold flow performance and low volatility, however PAO also has poor additive solvency and by themselves are not suitable engine lubricants.

The reason I ask is because the advertised pour point of -45c is disappointing for "PAO based" synthetic oil. There are a couple other HD CJ/CK diesel 5w40 oils that advertise a PAO formula and their PP is -51c and -56c. The -45c PP indicates the PAO quantity is low, like less than 15% .

I also don't see PAO listed on your SDS, where it usually would be listed as it has a CAS number.

·
Registered
459 Posts
@HotShotSecret Do you have any answers to my specific questions below?

What does "PAO Based" mean?

What % of PAO do you use in your formula?

What does "PAO Based" mean? What % of PAO do you use in your formula? As we both know PAO has really great cold flow performance and low volatility, however PAO also has poor additive solvency and by themselves are not suitable engine lubricants.

The reason I ask is because the advertised pour point of -45c is disappointing for "PAO based" synthetic oil. There are a couple other HD CJ/CK diesel 5w40 oils that advertise a PAO formula and their PP is -51c and -56c. The -45c PP indicates the PAO quantity is low, like less than 15% .

I also don't see PAO listed on your SDS, where it usually would be listed as it has a CAS number.

·
Registered
459 Posts
@DieselDrax

2 weeks and no response from HSS about how their oil could be "PAO based" and not have a CAS number on the SDS or exhibit an abnormally high PP.

Folks this is what you call an "AstroTurf advertising campaign". A forum member makes comments about a product to feign interest in using something in exchange for said product or other financial consideration. The forum member may also be affiliated with the company itself to appear impartial. There are many ways to run this kind of operation.

It's called "AstroTurf" because it appears legitimate and organic, just like real grass would be, however it's just green fake plastic grass. Phony. Artificial.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts