Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oil analysis info seems to be scattered, so lets try to concentrate it here. I'll start; here's the Blackstone report (attached) for my 2017 diesel after the first 5142 miles on the factory fill oil. Mixed city/highway with a couple hours of light towing. I'm in S. FL.

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice. I may send a sample in next oc.

Did you do an oc when you sent in that sample? If so curious as to what oil you went with?

·
Registered
2017 gmc canyon duramax
98 Posts
I just got my kit. I got about 4k miles left til I change my oil. How do you recommend getting a sample in the jar without making a huge mess?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I just got my kit. I got about 4k miles left til I change my oil. How do you recommend getting a sample in the jar without making a huge mess?
Drive the truck for about 30-45 minutes. That gets rid of any water or fuel that's collected in the oil. Let the engine sit for about 30 minutes or so before draining.

As you drain the oil, let some of it drain in to the pan, and then dip the sample container into the stream and catch your sample. Make it a mid stream catch. You get oil on the outside of the container, but that's no big deal.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Good idea to create a dedicated thread for oil analysis.

This is my 2nd oil change. I dumped the factory fill at 1500 miles and replaced it with a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil. This is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, previous PAO based CJ-4 formulation.

Oil has 5k on it. I was cold-start idling for 5-10 minutes which I believe is where the fuel dilution came from. Now I idle no longer than 2-3 minutes. Hopefully this gets the FD under control.
Also worth noting that for about 3k miles I ran exclusively on HVO as fuel source.

Oil was changed and re-filled with D1.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good idea to create a dedicated thread for oil analysis.

This is my 2nd oil change. I dumped the factory fill at 1500 miles and replaced it with a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil. This is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w40, previous PAO based CJ-4 formulation.

Oil has 5k on it. I was cold-start idling for 5-10 minutes which I believe is where the fuel dilution came from. Now I idle no longer than 2-3 minutes. Hopefully this gets the FD under control.
Also worth noting that for about 3k miles I ran exclusively on HVO as fuel source.

Oil was changed and re-filled with D1.

D1 is not Dexos2. Hahha, I use D1 as well.

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have twelve qts of Dexos2 left and just may go with a HDEO when I use that up. Mobil1 Delvac ESP 5W-30 is on my radar.

Check out this tool at the Lubrizol site.

Click on either passenger car or heavy duty for each tool. You can overlay specs within a each category.

https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Relative-Performance-Tool
Mobil makes two synthetic HDEOs in 5w30.

New Delvac ESP 5w30 and Delvac LE 5w30. The LE has better dynamic properties, probably due to better base oils and also contains moly and boron. LE looks like a superior product.

However both of these two are Euro market E6 lubes, so the Phosphorous is capped at 800 ppm. Both of these Mobil offerings are kinda middle-of-the road HDEOs, somewhere between a ACEA C3 and true CK-4/CJ-4 HDEO w/ 1000-1200 ppm of P in their forumulation.

An E6 Lube will be a definite step up from Dexos 2, but it won't give you the extra level of protection as a "Real" HDEO.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
*Summary report in post 39*

I have had good luck with Redline in the past but I can't say I'm overly impressed with this. Silicon is low side of average so it isn't that. Fairly light use with no towing. DIC showed 7% life remaining at the change FWIW.
Seems Blackstone doesn't know the engine is VM Motori.

I have sent a sample out from my wife's '15 Golf TDI as well. It will be interesting to see that report. It's arguably "broken in" at 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have had good luck with Redline in the past but I can't say I'm overly impressed with this. Silicon is low side of average so it isn't that. Fairly light use with no towing. DIC showed 7% life remaining at the change FWIW.

I have sent a sample out from my wife's '15 Golf TDI as well. It will be interesting to see that report. It's arguably "broken in" at 50,000 miles.
That’s one of the worst reports I’ve seen so far. This is a broken in engine so wear metals should be leveling off.

Redline euro 5w40 is a mid saps C3 type oil. I haven’t seen any reports with this offering, but I would not use it again if I were you.

Low SAPS = lower engine protection. Perhaps redline full saps 15w40, 5w30 or 5w40 would serve you better in this application.

Also noticed that the measured viscosity @ 100c is 3.2 cSt lower than Redline spec. It’s now a 30 grade oil. You may have had significant fuel dilution in the crankcase which contributed to the excessive wear. Blackstone labs can’t accurately measure fuel dilution, it is the major drawback of using them for oil reports.

And finally. the 2.8 Duramax isn’t a VM engine. GM made a number of changes to solve multiple shortcomings in the VM A428, including the head and bottom end. GDE called it a “ground up redesign” so it is actually a GM engine.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Wow that's pretty good for 8k miles. Did you wait until the Oil life monitor hit 0% ?

I think this is the best result that's been posted on a Dexos 2 oil. Is this the Castrol Edge in the black bottles ?

Was there any make-up oil added ?
Yes, that's the stuff. Black bottle, Dexos 2. 5W-30. It says "Full Synthetic" on the label, but we all know it really isn't. But for the price it's not a bad oil.

Like most of these diesel engines, it seems to burn a little oil, so I added a qt at around the 5K mark.

The oil life monitor was at 0 life left. But I generally don't pay a lot of attention to that. I change the oil based on miles/time.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Wow, with 20k miles on your engine already that iron count is unacceptable. I would be changing oils and seeing if that number comes down or not.

Out of curiosity, how much idle time did you have during that oil change and what were the temps?

(As mentioned, it's a GM engine built at a GM plant in Thailand, it is based on the VMM engine but isn't a VMM engine. So, it's not Isuzu or VMM :D)

·
Registered
20 Posts
2016cc with 23k. Oil was 1/2 down on dipstick with dealer only changes up to this point. No towing,lots of Idling and very cold weather! (2 weeks @ 14 below every nite). Oil monitor said 30% left with 5 k on oil. Blackstone report said high Aluminium, Potassium and Chrome ?.(sorry could not get report to download) Blackstone report said this still could be normal left over from break in for our baby Duramaxs.(I bought truck with 12k on GM executive driven) Ive changed oil myself using Pensoil oil.I now have 2k on this oil and so far so Good! I'll report back.

·
Registered
467 Posts
2016cc with 23k. Oil was 1/2 down on dipstick with dealer only changes up to this point. No towing,lots of Idling and very cold weather! (2 weeks @ 14 below every nite). Oil monitor said 30% left with 5 k on oil. Blackstone report said high Aluminium, Potassium and Chrome ?.(sorry could not get report to download) Blackstone report said this still could be normal left over from break in for our baby Duramaxs.(I bought truck with 12k on GM executive driven) Ive changed oil myself using Pensoil oil.I now have 2k on this oil and so far so Good! I'll report back.
If you can't figure out how to load the report, a screenshot can be taken and posted here. We'd like to see it. A modern engine on it's 3rd oil change should see decreasing wear metals as the engine is primarily broken in at this point in it's life.

High potassium is usually pretty serious and indicates a coolant leak into the oil, typically from the headgasket, EGR or oil cooler.

Lead – Usually a soft metal, most common related to bushings and Rod Bearings. Engine oil which are highly oxidized can attack the bearing material, leads to increased lead readings.

Iron – Mostly comes from Cylinder liners, Rings, Crankshaft, Camshaft, Rods, Valve Train, Oil pump gear, Wrist pins, cast iron components and Gears. Usually found as fine particles due to abrasion or wear.

Aluminium –Generally comes from Pistons, Turbo Bearings, Main and Rod Bearings, pumps, thrust bearings and washers, plates and Aluminium castings. Aluminium associated with silica indicates dirt. Aluminium found in
hydraulic system should be generally due to dirt ingestion and in final drives can be associated with dirt or sand.

Copper – Usually like a soft metal present in Main and Rod Bearings, Oil Cooler core, Clutch plates, Brass and Bronze bushings and Roller bearing outer cage. In engines it should be due to the water pump leak or coolant core. If it is found along with potassium, sodium and glycol, it will be coming from the oil cooler. If it is found along with lead and tin, it will be coming from bearing or bushing.

Chromium – Generally a hard metal generated from piston rings, Liners, Exhaust Valves, Shaft plating, Roller bearings, needle bearings, shafts, rods, gears, stainless steel alloys. Its presence indicates something harder is present usually silica and alumina. Chromium found in hydraulic system is from cylinder rods and valve spools.

Tin – Usually found in Bearings, Brass or Bronze Bushings and Flashing from pistons. Tin associated with lead and copper in engines indicate bearing wear.

Nickel – Alloy Valves, Crankshafts, Camshafts, Bearings and shafts.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts