Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Colorado with the 2.8L. I don't drive it a lot so it has about 40,000 miles on it now (4yrs, 6 months) and has only been driven locally or trips within 100 miles or so.

Two weeks ago we started on a 3500 mile drive from Seattle to Portland to The Dalles to Boise to Pocatello to Jackson to Mammoth Springs to Rapid City and return via I-90.

I am not a creeper and tend to be pretty aggressive with speed and acceleration. When possible I drove 85+ on the highways. At times there was a stiff headwind that lowered the mileage to 22.5mpg. We drove highway 212 over Beartooth pass from Mammoth Springs to Red Lodge, MT at 10,900 ft. The truck seemed to have just as much power as at sea level which was a great relief. The exhaust brake doesn't add a lot of resistance without a trailer but it is good enough so I rarely had to use brakes on the descent in 2nd or 3rd gear. If we had taken a gas powered 4 cyl vehicle the power would be almost gone at that altitude and I would have had to ride the brakes nearly all the way down the mountains.

The purchase price for the diesel was well worth it. That is even though 2016 had a couple of bad points like the seat is hard as a rock and uncomfortable without a gel pad and the air-conditioning is pretty bad if you want 70 degrees and your environment like Seattle is near 70 most of the time (either blows extremely cold or hot air instead of a moderate temp).

The truck averaged 25.6mpg for the 3500 mile trip and having 600 mile range reduced the fill-ups to a minimum. I hope the newer models fixed the 2016 comfort items and has kept the engine efficiency.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
25 isn't bad considering your speeds. That also happens to be roughly my average MPG over 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Having owned a 2016 , I will say the seat in my 2020 is more comfy due to the extra seat cushion adjustment. Both get the same mileage. Both SLT CCLB so an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is excellent mileage for those conditions.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, what they said !!! Ours Average is 22 mpg over it's 18k. Ours tows at least 30% of its life so far, so I am tickled pink. Our last truck got 6-10 mpg towing the same camper. That's why I am tickled pink.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just came back from a trip to the GC north rim. Went with a bunch of Jeeps. I filled up every 3rd time of theirs. At one point I averaged 32mpg (DIC). Hand calculated for the 3 tanks, I averaged 26-ish mpg.
That was all mixed driving, crawling to 80+mph down I-17, with gear in the truck. Very happy with MPG's

·
Registered
357 Posts
mostly around town, three highway trips
20200924_074941.jpg

·
Registered
615 Posts
Just got back from a 600 mile trip towing 4k lb camper. Got 13.9 down but only 10 mpg on way back. Wicked head winds of 30-40 mph. Trans temps of 200-220*F. Truck did great.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado Z71 Trail Boss 2.8ltr Duramax (Tuned).
4 Posts
My 2016 Z71 Trail Boss with the 2.8ltr get 23 to 29 mpg. This is my best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
'17 Z71 2WD currently 34K miles.

On a completely unladen trip from San Diego to Denver and back with the cruise set to 80 mph whenever possible, I was easily getting over 700 miles out of a tank of fuel, that's an average of around 34mpg.

During another 500+ mile trip from norcal to socal with about 1000 lbs in the bed, while towing a utility trailer that weighed roughly 4000 lbs. I averaged 20 mpg and while heading south up the Tejon pass/Grapevine on I-5, it didn't even downshift and maintained 60-65 mph the whole way up. Exhaust/trailer brake worked fantastic too.

I've been super impressed with the little 2.8! It can feel a little dog sh!t slow when cruising around town/city driving, but when you put it to work, it's an amazing little truck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
The DIC will vary wildly on the Diesel. I have found it can be off by. As much as 5mog at times. That being said, I have had several tanks where I have gotten 32.8 mpg for the tank(hand calculated). Overall, at 54,000 miles, still averaging 26mpg for life of truck. Highways are where the Diesel really kicks in. I have gotten upwards of 45 mpg on long trips at 55mph. My truck is usually at 6,000 lbs with all my gear in it. Try that with a gasser and it would be struggling to break 20mpg. Couldn't be happier so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Literally just got home from a 230 mile round trip up to L.A. and back and averaged 32.9mpg according to the trucks calculations. 99% interstate, a little bit of heavy traffic in spots. Cruise set between 75-80 the majority of the way. No load, just 2 people.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I put about 100K miles on a '16 Z71 Diesel. Great little truck. I liked it so much that I bought another one just like it. :)
The two trucks are almost identical. Diesel performance and mileage is the same. Trans is the same. Suspension is the same.

Unfortunately, the interior is the same as well. The seat is still like sitting on a buckboard. Still lacking in a couple of small doodads that would be nice to have.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon Diesel
73 Posts
Took a 2 hour trip to Marquette today, then another 2 hours back. This is what my DIC reported right after pulling into the driveway.

Prior to this I hadn't had a chance to really just set the cruise and eat up the miles on a highway run, I'd been seeing 25-27mpg. During this trip, with the cruise at 60mph (5 over), I was seeing between 33-35mpg, with the 37.1 coming during the final section which was at 55mph due to traffic.

I'm not sure I can agree with people who go after the interior, but then, I'm coming from a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The Canyon is positively luxurious compared to that in comfort and convenience. Other than the hard plastic door panel, I've no complaints and found the ride to be quiet and comfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts