Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how many if any of you travel in Mexico in your Colorado diesels? This was a concern for me but I did a ton of reading which lead me to believe there is ulsd (ultra low surfer diesel) in at least the northern half of the state. In Baja sur apparently it's only low sulfur diesel. I'd like to know your experiences with dpf clogging limp modes etc. thanks

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was in guanojuato Mexico this year and I can say with 100% certainty that there isn't any ULSD available in that state. Also worth noting is the complete lack of any emissions controls on the diesels there

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is guanojuato? Is that in Baja or mainland mex? I understand that the country has no emissions laws but they are supposed to have ulsd by 2018 through out the state. We all know that dosent hold any weight but the country is trying to move forward with cleaner fuel by the turn of the century lol. I pretty much expect lsd just really want to hear some reports and real life events of how these sensitive diesel motors operate down there. There has got to be some people out there!!!!! If not I will be the guine pig within the next 6 months

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was planning on driving my truck to Cabo San Lucas in April so I've done a little research but I'm at the same spot your are. I'm not sure the effects of putting in the different diesel they have on the southern part of Baja I will be following this thread.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you a surfer? So what ive read is there is nothing that effects the engine itself in the long run, these engines can run on crap its the dpf that builds up and the computer can not regen due to the excess build up so it the vehicle will go into limp mode and eventually completley shut down. I have been in contact with a gentleman that is helping me program my samsung tablet that will allow me to manually regen the vehicle when the light comes on or even do it avery so often as preventitive maintenence if you will. Its a very lengthly process and lots of emails due to him living in canada. I randomly found an atricle on line with his email and sent him a message. The gentelman emailed me back within 48 hours and walked me through the proccess. I have been moving forward with this and he is very helpful with detailed instructions via email. I can ask him if hes willing to help out others but he will only pass this info to baja/ mexico travelers. His good friend is a gm engineer, all the programing is done through an app on the tablet so nothing voids the truck warrently and dealerships can not track the history. A specific few tablets are needed which are all samsung this program does not work with apple or other tablet products. I started this thread to hear real world experiences south of the boarder with our trucks so hopefully someone else will chime in. I will try to find the article online and post the link.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.