Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
It's not all hunky dory with the 2.8. I only get around 22MPG with 90% highway driving at 70MPH because my truck likes to regen every 80-120 miles. GM says it's fine and because there isn't a CEL then everything's good to go. Not much better than my Tacoma and certainly not worth the extra 70 cents a gallon.

Reactions: RJL1983

Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
It's not all hunky dory with the 2.8. I only get around 22MPG with 90% highway driving at 70MPH because my truck likes to regen every 80-120 miles. GM says it's fine and because there isn't a CEL then everything's good to go. Not much better than my Tacoma and certainly not worth the extra 70 cents a gallon.
So you only get the fuel economy that GM rated your truck for? Helps to read the window sticker when you buy a truck.

Or maybe you mean it's not all hunky dory with bigger tires, wider track and a lift? 馃ぃ

If you had the V6 it would be much much worse...

Registered
So you only get the fuel economy that GM rated your truck for? Helps to read the window sticker when you buy a truck.
View attachment 432223 View attachment 432224

Or maybe you mean it's not all hunky dory with bigger tires, wider track and a lift? 馃ぃ

If you had the V6 it would be much much worse...
Things were better before the frequent regens. I've had the lift, topper, and tires basically since the truck was new. Perhaps you don't understand what a regen interval is? Maybe you should do some research yourself.

My V6 tacoma with the same size tires got 20MPG with my same driving habits calculated with GPS. Tell me how things are hunky dory with my 2.8? You won't though, you're too busy leg humping the 2.8.

Registered
Things were better before the frequent regens. I've had the lift, topper, and tires basically since the truck was new. Perhaps you don't understand what a regen interval is? Maybe you should do some research yourself.

My V6 tacoma with the same size tires got 20MPG with my same driving habits calculated with GPS. Tell me how things are hunky dory with my 2.8? You won't though, you're too busy leg humping the 2.8.
Define "better"? Is this because you just recently figured out how to monitor them? Are you conditioning your fuel like GM recommends? Did you get the recall done?

Registered
Define "better"? Is this because you just recently figured out how to monitor them? Are you conditioning your fuel like GM recommends? Did you get the recall done?
Better as in I've had an ultragauge since day 1 owning the truck and my regen range has gone from every 300-400+ miles to every 80-120 miles. Now my average mileage is down from 24.7MPG to 21.8MPG. GM never recommended conditioning my fuel because I have a 2018, yes I'm aware they've changed the diesel supplement since. Having said that, I've ran PS Diesel Kleen after the many 2.8 failures (when my truck had about 15K miles, now I'm at 58K). I've done the recall, as far as I can tell it does nothing because I cross my fingers every time I drive my truck to get a CEL so GM may do something (well one that's not my stabilitrak randomly illuminating only to have my dealership say they can't figure it out).

Registered
Better as in I've had an ultragauge since day 1 owning the truck and my regen range has gone from every 300-400+ miles to every 80-120 miles. Now my average mileage is down from 24.7MPG to 21.8MPG. GM never recommended conditioning my fuel because I have a 2018, yes I'm aware they've changed the diesel supplement since. Having said that, I've ran PS Diesel Kleen after the many 2.8 failures (when my truck had about 15K miles, now I'm at 58K). I've done the recall, as far as I can tell it does nothing because I cross my fingers every time I drive my truck to get a CEL so GM may do something (well one that's not my stabilitrak randomly illuminating only to have my dealership say they can't figure it out).
GM did recommend conditioning your fuel if you don't use TOP TIER diesel, and has done so several times now. You can look up each TSB on the NHTSA website here (select Fuel System Diesel to filter results):

As for troubleshooting a cause for frequent regens that aren't being recognized by the computer, I would consider at least testing if not replacing this $25 sensor:

Registered
And a chaffed wire somewhere would cause the Stabilitrak to randomly illuminate. I would check for that chaffed wire TSB (can't remember it off the top of my head)

Registered
I have a 2016 Z1 with the diesel and about 50K miles. My normal highway speed is about 85mph and 23mpg with a headwind or 25mpg without. If I slow down to 60 I can get 30mpg but driving that slow on the open highway just wont get you anywhere.

Registered
GM did recommend conditioning your fuel if you don't use TOP TIER diesel, and has done so several times now. You can look up each TSB on the NHTSA website here (select Fuel System Diesel to filter results):
View attachment 432241

As for troubleshooting a cause for frequent regens that aren't being recognized by the computer, I would consider at least testing if not replacing this $25 sensor:
I've already replaced the pressure sensor about 15K miles ago but no change. I think the DPF just needs cleaned or replaced, but it's not something GM wants to do. And the TSB for the additive came about later after multiple engines had failed injectors. My diesel supplement does not state it, however I do run it.

And a chaffed wire somewhere would cause the Stabilitrak to randomly illuminate. I would check for that chaffed wire TSB (can't remember it off the top of my head)
Yes I've had my local dealership perform the TSB for the known chafing points, but they said it was good. It happens 2-3 times a year but seems to clear out on it's own. Once I finish residency I'm planning on selling the truck even though I love many things about it.

Registered
I got 30.4mpg on a 2100 mile trip in my Canyon Denali, cruising at 75-80 the entire time.

Overall, over 30k miles that included a lot of towing, I got 25.6mpg.

My ZR2 is getting in the low-21s so far, but I think that's going to go up.

Only mod on both was a tonneau cover and an air compressor (which wouldn't affect anything)

Registered
So I鈥檓 looking at getting a canyon with the duramax engine in it. I鈥檇-like a diesel purely because of the better gas mileage. However, the Sierra has a higher epa mileage rating than the canyon. I don鈥檛 believe that鈥檚 true so I thought I鈥檇 ask what you canyon/Colorado diesel owners generally get for mileage? In your answer if you could also add the model year and any mods or upgrades you have on your rig (tires, bed caps, etc)?

Registered
I have a 2016 Canyon 2.9 duramax diesel crew cab all terrain .1st timer of owning a deisel engine and I love how it rides ,sounds and knowing to do all the maintence on the deisel you can have that vehicle for a long g time your question on fuel mpg depends on the individual how heavy is your foot on the pedal for me I m a average John doe for instance I went on a trip that was 600 miles total round trip I fiiled it 1full tank and half when I got home had a little than a quarter the only thing was my torque converter check engine light popped up and I took to the dealer they did a inspection and replace a seal that came up on the diagnostic no charge under warranty but would have been 750.00 that's only thing was wrong with this truck I love it

Premium Member
2022 ZR2 Bison
I am averaging 22.5 MPG according to the display. Mostly highway at about 75 MPH. I think I take a hit for the Bison package. Sticker advertised 22 MPG so I guess I am exceeding that by .5. I'll take it. :cool:

In all fairness, fuel economy was not a factor for me in getting a vehicle.

Registered
I don't think the 27 mpg with the V6 is BS. His truck is 2WD and I think that makes a bigger difference than people realize. A good driver would also help. My diesel Canyon is 2WD and this is what I'm getting.

Registered
So I鈥檓 looking at getting a canyon with the duramax engine in it. I鈥檇-like a diesel purely because of the better gas mileage. However, the Sierra has a higher epa mileage rating than the canyon. I don鈥檛 believe that鈥檚 true so I thought I鈥檇 ask what you canyon/Colorado diesel owners generally get for mileage? In your answer if you could also add the model year and any mods or upgrades you have on your rig (tires, bed caps, etc)?
They are a nice driving rig, but fuel economy is no longer a winning argument. I get 26 to 32 mpg in mine, usually about 28.5. But on top of that consideration, you have to let these factors weigh in: You pay a lot more for this truck than a gas one. Then there are the diesel-related repairs such as problems with the DEF tank heater, line heater and front heater. Yes there are three of them and they all fail sooner or later. The tank heater was $1100! the transmission in the diesel is the 6 speed and I had troubles with mine, first a torque converter and then the whole thing had to be replaced. At 133,000 the engine blew a head gasket and had to be replaced for $15,000. I change my oil every 5000 mi and have all the 30,000 mile services done at the dealer (took good care of it). Then there are the sensors in the exhaust which eventually go bad and have to be replaced or the truck will go into limp mode and leave you at the side of the road if you did not heed the warning. I replaced my first sensor and it was nearly $600. AND... with the cost of diesel about a dollar more than gas, how can all this make any sense?

Registered
View attachment 432264 I don't think the 27 mpg with the V6 is BS. His truck is 2WD and I think that makes a bigger difference than people realize. A good driver would also help. My diesel Canyon is 2WD and this is what I'm getting.
I am sure 2WD does make a difference, but did you get 35mpg traveling the majority of that over 70mph on the interstate? Or was it closer to 55-65mph?

I am not doubting that it is possible to get 27mpg with a V6, what I am calling BS on is that he allegedly reached that without hypermiling on the freeway or traveling around 70mph for 80% of his trip. That's the part that does not compute because out of several thousand trip reports on fuelly the absolute highest we see is 25mpg and that is a very tiny handful of reports. That and he is always trolling diesel threads with that nonsense.

If people want to learn about V6 fuel economy, I'm fairly sure they probably won't be asking for feedback in a turbo diesel forum.

Registered
This question comes up a lot. Buying a diesel simply for better fuel mileage doesn't really work out in the long run, financially speaking. There have been a few discussions about that recently. Do a search and you'll find some really good information.

Registered
This question comes up a lot. Buying a diesel simply for better fuel mileage doesn't really work out in the long run, financially speaking. There have been a few discussions about that recently. Do a search and you'll find some really good information.
I agree with you for in town driving it is pretty much a tossup based on fuel prices. But for the various fuel prices going back to 2016, diesel fuel mileage sure as hell can work out financially, especially if you do any significant amount of towing.

Back in August 2018 when I bought my truck, the national average was $2.83 for regular and $3.21 for diesel. Assuming each truck gets EPA rated average fuel economy, a 4WD V6 would get 19mpg and a 4WD diesel would average 23 mpg. Over a 100 mile trip, the 4WD would burn 5.26 gallons of regular at a cost of $14.89. Over the same trip the diesel would burn 4.35 gallons at a cost of $13.91. So the diesel saved a dollar.

Now, yes it would take forever to pay off the diesel upcharge if all someone did was commute with the diesel. But towing is where it really shines. I usually get about 20mpg towing my 6K tractor flat bed around Florida and Alabama. Other diesel owners towing enclosed travel or utility trailers around 5K have reported mpg in the high teens, while most V6 owners report in the low teens for similar conditions.

Now if we use TFLT numbers for a 500 mile towing trip, 4WD V6 gets 8.7mpg and the 4WD diesel gets 12.7mpg.

Using August 2018 prices ($2.83 for regular and $3.21 for diesel), the V6 would burn 57.47 gallon of regular at a cost of $162.64 and the diesel would burn 39.37 gallons at a cost of $126.38.
So back in 2018 the diesel would have saved $36.26 for this trip.

Using August 2022 prices ($4.19 for regular and $5.13 for diesel), the V6 would still burn 57.47 gallon of regular at a cost of $240.80, and the diesel would still burn 39.37 gallons at a cost of $201.97.
So even at today's fuel prices the diesel will actually save a bit more at $38.83.

Registered
Always trolling diesel forums ? ? B.S.

And , . . . not everyone tows a lot.

I don't " hyper mile". Your assumption, misrepresenting and being dishonest.

I am sure 2WD does make a difference, but did you get 35mpg traveling the majority of that over 70mph on the interstate? Or was it closer to 55-65mph?

I am not doubting that it is possible to get 27mpg with a V6, what I am calling BS on is that he allegedly reached that without hypermiling on the freeway or traveling around 70mph for 80% of his trip. That's the part that does not compute because out of several thousand trip reports on fuelly the absolute highest we see is 25mpg and that is a very tiny handful of reports. That and he is always trolling diesel threads with that nonsense.

If people want to learn about V6 fuel economy, I'm fairly sure they probably won't be asking for feedback in a turbo diesel forum.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.