Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m looking at getting a canyon with the duramax engine in it. I’d-like a diesel purely because of the better gas mileage. However, the Sierra has a higher epa mileage rating than the canyon. I don’t believe that’s true so I thought I’d ask what you canyon/Colorado diesel owners generally get for mileage? In your answer if you could also add the model year and any mods or upgrades you have on your rig (tires, bed caps, etc)?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8l diesel
139 Posts
Duramax is a diesel. Put "gas" in it and you'll quickly discover your EPA rating will go to zero.
wouldnt it go to infinite? if it doesnt run it wont burn any fuel.

kidding aside, yes there are multiple threads with running fuel economy tabs, have a look for those. that being said, my 2018 canyon ccsb 4x4 with a tonneau cover gets around 26 mpg with mixed driving (more city than highway), but on freeway trips ive averaged 32-33 mpg.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,894 Posts
If you're comparing the 3.0L aluminum-block 6 cyl LM2 to the 2.8L iron-block 4 cyl LWN of course the LM2 is going to be more efficient because it is a newer and more advanced design, but since it is in a full size truck the weight and size become fuel economy penalties. If GM stuffed the LM2 into the midsize trucks, there is no doubt in my mind it would get better fuel economy than the LWN.

But if you want to compare real world results, check fuelly (I have linked the pictures below):
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Plot

Rectangle Font Line Plot Parallel

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
So I’m looking at getting a canyon with the duramax engine in it. I’d-like a diesel purely because of the better gas mileage. However, the Sierra has a higher epa mileage rating than the canyon. I don’t believe that’s true so I thought I’d ask what you canyon/Colorado diesel owners generally get for mileage? In your answer if you could also add the model year and any mods or upgrades you have on your rig (tires, bed caps, etc)?
Heck . .. I average 25 to 27 MPG highway on my 2017 Colorado CCSB with the 3.6L V6 gas engine.
20 to 22 mixed in town driving . (y)(y)(y)(y):cool:

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Heck . .. I average 25 to 27 MPG highway on my 2017 Colorado CCSB with the 3.6L V6 gas engine.
20 to 22 mixed in town driving . (y)(y)(y)(y)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
LOL show us your 450 mile average screen at 27mpg and maybe we will believe you...maybe
Gas Tints and shades Electric blue Font Midnight

Rectangle Font Slope Plot Parallel

Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Just one of many actual - - -

And no driving the speed limits, no hyper mile , drafting etc.

Speed were 80% 70 to 72 MPH and 20% 55 to 60 MPH on this trip over interstate and state highway with rolling terrain and even 30 miles of so of up/down steep hilly grades.

If certain individuals want to constantly mock and trash constantly it just reflects on themselves.

As I stated in many previous threads regarding MPG . . . mcuh depends on individual driving style, terrain, traffic and road condition. Your mileage may vary.

Car Speedometer Trip computer Tachometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Just one of many actual - - -

View attachment 432154
and you weren't hypermiling at all? No tailgating semi trucks or traveling from high elevations to low ones like a trip from Denver to Kansas City or St. Louis?

It pays to be honest, but until then you get BS flags.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
And if R.E.P. replies with his juvenile " B.S. " meme. . . take it with a grain of salt.
Fuelly isn't the "Be-all and End-all" of what many of us here with the 3.6L gas engine can and do get.
Drive the truck reasonably and even with a passengers and 600 lbs or so of cargo in the bed very good gas mileage has been attained by many of us here that forego the local curmudgeons commentary. :cool:
Fuelly, the EPA, General Motors 😂

Now the next question is why are you trolling the DIESEL forum?

·
Registered
89 Posts
20 to 22 mixed in town driving . (y)(y)(y)(y)

And if R.E.P. replies with his juvenile " B.S. " meme. . . take it with a grain of salt.
Fuelly isn't the "Be-all and End-all" of what many of us here with the 3.6L gas engine can and do get.
Drive the truck reasonably and even with a passengers and 600 lbs or so of cargo in the bed very good gas mileage has been attained by many of us here that forego the local curmudgeons commentary. :cool:
You've got 2wd, man. It's like a car with extra steps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
and you weren't hypermiling at all? No tailgating semi trucks or traveling from high elevations to low ones like a trip from Denver to Kansas City or St. Louis?

It pays to be honest, but until then you get BS flags.
View attachment 432155
Owned a 2018 Z71 CCSB 2WD with the V6, at 55mph it would get 30-35 mpg. Drops off steadily as speed goes in either direction. 55mph seemed to be the sweet spot for mileage. Doing 80mph on the highway I would be closer to 20-21mpg. This was in FL so relatively flat and no hyper/drafting. Likewise, my diesel Canyon 4WD can get around 40+mpg at 50-55 and 25+ at 80mph.

27mpg average is believable if the avg speed was around 55mph. Especially with a 2wd truck. That mixed at around 20mpg is something I never really saw. Too much stop-n-go around where I am when in the city.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Owned a 2018 Z71 CCSB 2WD with the V6, at 55mph it would get 30-35 mpg. Drops off steadily as speed goes in either direction. 55mph seemed to be the sweet spot for mileage. Doing 80mph on the highway I would be closer to 20-21mpg. This was in FL so relatively flat and no hyper/drafting. Likewise, my diesel Canyon 4WD can get around 40+mpg at 50-55 and 25+ at 80mph.

27mpg average is believable if the avg speed was around 55mph. Especially with a 2wd truck. That mixed at around 20mpg is something I never really saw. Too much stop-n-go around where I am when in the city.
Under those conditions it is believable, but those aren't the conditions that he has provided in previous posts about his gas mileage. That's why he gets BS flags.

·
Registered
78 Posts
In my 2017 CCSB w/tonneau I almost always see 30-32mpg per tank. This is mostly rural highway - not town, not freeway, I get up to 50-ish after a few stops at each end and go a dozen miles or so uninterrupted.

Just finished a ~5700mi road trip through the Rocky Mountains (Alaska, Yukon, BC, ID/MT) and saw a few 29s, usually followed by 34s, which I attribute to differences in filling up, since you can easily get 1-2gal "extra" in the tank if you're careful. Real average through 15 tanks was 30.66. Saw a 50-mile average of 45.0 as well. While I was being careful with the right foot, I wasn't "hypermiling" by any means.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Off Road 4x4 Duramax 2.8L
105 Posts
My 2021 Z71 with 4wd and Goodyear All Terrain Adventure w/ Kevlar tires gets around 26 MPG in mixed driving. Best MPG was 36.5mpg in a 90 mile highway round trip.

The new Silverados and Sierras diesels have a 3.0L engine and 10 speed transmission. So they will get better MPGs than the 2.8L diesels with a 6 speed tranny. The only problem. The full size truck won't fit in my garage.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
You've got 2wd, man. It's like a car with extra steps.
Just stating what I get for the configuration of my truck and as a point of reference.
YMMV

In case the OP would consider a 3.6L V6.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Just stating what I get for the configuration of my truck. YMMV

In case the OP would consider a 3.6L V6.

OP specifically stated they are looking for a duramax canyon, in the diesel forum.

Both your reading comprehension and honesty are extremely poor.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
4,339 Posts
Guys just keep it respectful.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.