Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I now have over 1000 miles on my 2019 z71 CCLB diesel. Went from a 2017 z71 v-6.

So far... so good.. knock on wood...

Gas mileage - I still can not believe the mileage of this truck. Best 50 mile average I’ve seen so far is 32.7. Ridiculous!

2019- improvements- especially the fully adjustable drivers seat.. big plus.

Engine and transmission- I believe this pairing is superior and more refined than the v-6. No engine chuggle at low rpm’s . The diesel thrives at lower rpm’s compared to the v-6. No transmission shudder . So far the six speed transmission is on point.

Towing- this is where this truck just shines. Just towed a u-haul 400 miles. I know it’s nothing large, the truck went into 6th gear and just ate it up. Not one downshift at 70 mph on cruise when Going over numerous overpasses and bridges. Now my v-6 would downshift going over the same bridges with nothing in tow.

The torque of the diesel at the low rpms is truly impressive. What a beast. This is my first diesel. I have come to appreciate the different driving characteristics of the diesel vs gas. It may not be for everyone, but it’s definitely for me!

·
Registered
72 Posts
...snip.....

Engine and transmission- I believe this pairing is superior and more refined than the v-6. No engine chuggle at low rpm’s . The diesel thrives at lower rpm’s compared to the v-6. No transmission shudder . So far the six speed transmission is on point.

Towing- this is where this truck just shines. Just towed a u-haul 400 miles. I know it’s nothing large, the truck went into 6th gear and just ate it up. Not one downshift at 70 mph on cruise when Going over numerous overpasses and bridges. Now my v-6 would downshift going over the same bridges with nothing in tow.

The torque of the diesel at the low rpms is truly impressive. What a beast. This is my first diesel. I have come to appreciate the different driving characteristics of the diesel vs gas. It may not be for everyone, but it’s definitely for me!
Agree. I have 2018 Z71 Duramax. I hope I have same experience with First Tow. I got the Duramax specifically because of great towing reviews.

I am going 400 miles to pick up a 14' Cargo trailer. I have mountains, windy/curvy roads, and interstate roads to go on. I have 1700 miles on truck now before trip, no problems at all. Semi-bothered by constant calls from Sirus to continue, No deal.

It will be my first trip with the Z71, a little worried about snow, weather, are the tires good enough, blah, blah, blah. To the credit of stock tires, I have not seen any complaints about them (other than the bigger tires/wheels-folks).

I have improved the headlights and DRLs, topped up DEF, and put anti-gel in fuel. :smile2: I even modified a set of chains to fit the back wheels. The is no way to get chains on the front without some sort of wheel spacer - not enough clearance.

I'll report what happens across Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado....

YMMV

·
Registered
105 Posts
Throw a GDE tune on it and you'll really enjoy it. All of the factory quirks (like the go pedal delay) are addressed, and for an emissions intact "green" tune is pretty peppy.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Have had my '17 since March of '17, 25K miles now, driving a mid size truck with good running diesel simply never gets old. Agree about the transmission. In their quest for fuel economy, the transmissions in all vehicles are programmed to shift up as early has possible, which can be rough on a lot of gas engines. The funny thing is, the guys who tune the transmission settings for our trucks make them even more aggressive than stock about upshifting firmly and quickly. Settings like that would make a gas engine completely undriveable, but our torque rich grunty little diesel beasts thrive on them.

I live in Colorado and have driven out to Utah a few times toting a trailer with 2 or 3 dirt bikes on it. A buddy has an old 7.3 Ford diesel, and even he comments on how "grades and elevation simply do not affect this thing" as we easily cruise up the "Ike Gauntlet" (a section of I-70 that is a 7% grade a lot of the way, and peaks at just over 11,000 feet at the Eisenhower tunnel) all at at casual RPM. He also marvels at the combo of power and fuel efficiency, and as he has a 7.3, he knows all about spending a lot on diesel fuel. He likes my truck so much, he is urging his father to buy one for his home inspection business. Another friend's boss bought one after driving mine.

I am glad you are enjoying your truck, they really are unique - obviously I am a big fan :smile:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree with all. Love it so far. Torque at low rpms is fantastic. Coming from a manual shift Hemi w/4.56's. It was unnerving downshifting and holding 5500 + rpm's while pulling long steep hills. This thing just chugs right along like a freight train.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts