Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, for those who are running stock size tires 255/55R20 what kind of tire do you have on the truck? After a fair amount of research it seems, the tire manufactures do not offer many "truck" options in this size. Living in Michigan, we just got hit with about 10" of snow this week, and the O.E Bridgestones are not going to make it for the winter.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I have used the factory tires the last two winters. We are on the south east side of Lake Erie in the snow belt and so far the the Bridgestone's have not been an issue.

I was skeptical before I drove them but they worked fined. We had a number of deep snows and I have not had an issue getting around what so ever. I am just going to keep these on.

If and when they wear out I may keep the same or May go to the Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready tires. We just put them on the wife's vehicle as her OE Michelin's were toast by 20K miles. The reviews put the Weather Ready's at around 50K plus miles and good all weather traction.

I do not go off road much so I will keep with a more road tread than off road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was pretty surprised at the lack of decent tires available in that size. I picked up a set of wheels & tires someone pulled off an All Terrain for winter & trail duty. I'll swap during the winter months when we get muddy and run proper "summer" tires on the 20s during the dry months here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live on some back roads that don't get plowed to quick in the snowy months. The truck seems to break loose really easy with the diesel motor way too often, I decided to throw on a set of LTX Michelin tires. I alway had great luck with these back in the day when I had a 2wd Silverado 02.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Generally the AT tires are going to be for smaller wheels as you really don't want lower profile tires for off road. This is why the ZR2 has 17" as the side wall works better off road though on the road it may not be the best for handling.

The 20" tires are mostly targeted for the road since that is what most buy them for,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I check out the WildPeak A/T Trails, but they seem to be marketed for more SUV Crossover vehicles. Not to sure how they would hold up. Wound up getting the LTX's installed last Friday at Bell Tire. The back roads were still about 1" tick packed snow ice, I did a few test stops and starts and I couldn't believe the difference between the two. The Michelins are not the prettiest most aggressive looking tire, but the sure hook up on the snow and ice a hell of a lot better than the O.E Bridgestones.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm looking for new all terrain tires for Denali as well. There's lots of options at 275 width, but that's going to be too big for my setup. If you look at 265/50/20, theres 5 or more all terrain options. That's not a larger diameter than the 255/55 and should fit on ours.

I have a 2" level on the front, 1" block in the rear, and wheel spacers with the stock Denali wheels and tires. I get occasion rubbing on the mud guard, so I'm debating on what size to go with.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I check out the WildPeak A/T Trails, but they seem to be marketed for more SUV Crossover vehicles. Not to sure how they would hold up. Wound up getting the LTX's installed last Friday at Bell Tire. The back roads were still about 1" tick packed snow ice, I did a few test stops and starts and I couldn't believe the difference between the two. The Michelins are not the prettiest most aggressive looking tire, but the sure hook up on the snow and ice a hell of a lot better than the O.E Bridgestones.
Michlen LTX Defender....best all around tire I have ever had.....good choice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking for new all terrain tires for Denali as well. There's lots of options at 275 width, but that's going to be too big for my setup. If you look at 265/50/20, theres 5 or more all terrain options. That's not a larger diameter than the 255/55 and should fit on ours.

I have a 2" level on the front, 1" block in the rear, and wheel spacers with the stock Denali wheels and tires. I get occasion rubbing on the mud guard, so I'm debating on what size to go with.

Check out a 245/60/R20, I saw a Toyo Open Country A/T available in that size, I was worried they would rub with the additional height. I'm not running a lift on my truck so I passed on them, not to mention they are priced around $245.00 a tire. Good luck, maybe someday the tire manufactures will begin to produce an A/T in the stock size for the Denali crowd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts