Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
361 - 380 of 396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
:/

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Not even a Diesel owner and was looking forward to this build...bummer.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Any new news on this wild build?

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
so an emphatic no

·
Registered
576 Posts
I’m hoping he LS swapped it
I've thought about selling my Diesel ZR2 for a 3.6 ZR2 and doing a LS swap on. I just don't trust the diesel.

·
Registered
2017 AT 4x4 LWN CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
3,825 Posts
To help consolidate these reports in one place, please add details of your engine failure here:

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
Good morning everyone, I very much apologize for the long hiatus on information. Between life and extra military training activities I’ve been preoccupied .

Truthfully I can’t even remember where we left off. Anyways got the truck running again and spent hours bending the old squirter‘s to the perfect location that nothing would interfere.

Broke the truck in and finally started driving it normal. I was headed to check some wells and while pulling a RZR going up a decent incline and was building I believe around 70 psi I blew a turbo boot, so I pulled off the road shut the truck off and duck taped the boot back together.

Started it back and noticed a knocking, long story short it spun a rod bearing, bent some valves, ruined that rod and heated the crank so probably ruined it and some other issues happened.

What I believed happened was when we built the motor, The bearings we received put the motor on the tight end of the normal range of what GM recommended. Well within the safe range, but like I said on the tighter end. I think from the extra power and the heat it was building, cooked the thin film of oil on the bearings and locked it up.

Hindsight definitely should’ve built the motor more loose, like wore out loose.

Put way too much money into this project trying to retain the Diesel. Anyways after a long hiatus of messing with the truck, about a month ago I picked back up and decided to swap a gen 5 L87 and 8L90 8 speed transmission into it.

Going to put an aggressive cam and the usual bolt one onto it but that’s about it. If you guys have any questions about the last build, ask away.

Or if you think there will be an interest for this new build, I’ll start another thread and document it.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
Guess I also should’ve mentioned I’m gonna sell the turbo kit, 30% over injectors, triple disk billet torque converter, intercooler and all the other 2.8 upgrades if anyone has an interest just DM me. Lol I definitely don’t recommend running high boost (75+ psi) for obvious reasons though 😂

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Good morning everyone, I very much apologize for the long hiatus on information. ..................................................................................................

Put way too much money into this project trying to retain the Diesel. Anyways after a long hiatus of messing with the truck, about a month ago I picked back up and decided to swap a gen 5 L87 and 8L90 8 speed transmission into it.

Going to put an aggressive cam and the usual bolt one onto it but that’s about it. If you guys have any questions about the last build, ask away.

Or if you think there will be an interest for this new build, I’ll start another thread and document it. Yes Please
I am sure there would be an interest in your new build. As a side note I see that Sonnax is starting to offer parts/kits for the 8L45/8L90. I used a lot of their parts dialing in a 4L60e I used in a S10 LS swap a few years ago. As you probably know, with the aggressive cam you will likely want a higher stall TC.

·
Registered
2016 Colorado WT, crew cab long bed
1,131 Posts
I’m interested in the l87 swap. Another member recently put in an l83 and had some good links to a site with motor mounts and harnesses for both motors I think. I’m sure you’ve done your research but he had some good info on there. I believe his @ is @FunctionOverForm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Canyon SLT, V6, 4X4, Longbed, Cyber Metallic Gray
1,201 Posts
Glad your back and ty for update.

Yes a detailed v8 swap with lost breakdowns of parts cost etc etc etc, would be appreciated for anyone wanting to plan their own.

·
Registered
2018 GMC Canyon Duramax CCLB
130 Posts
This guy’s story about his failure reeks of BS. 70psi of boost, duct tape repair of a blown boost hose, spun bearings, bent rods and valves and a heat damaged crank. Valves get bent by float due to severe over rev or broken/skipped timing belt. Spinning bearings and heat damaging the crank requires a loss of oil pressure during full send and not backing out until something breaks. To have all those failures at once is almost impossible unless the OP fancies himself Cletus McFarland and he’s **** at engine building and tuning. I knew this was gonna end badly when he forgot to check the rotating clearance of the oil squirters. But never thought it could be this bad.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
This guy’s story about his failure reeks of BS. 70psi of boost, duct tape repair of a blown boost hose, spun bearings, bent rods and valves and a heat damaged crank. Valves get bent by float due to severe over rev or broken/skipped timing belt. Spinning bearings and heat damaging the crank requires a loss of oil pressure during full send and not backing out until something breaks. To have all those failures at once is almost impossible unless the OP fancies himself Cletus McFarland and he’s **** at engine building and tuning. I knew this was gonna end badly when he forgot to check the rotating clearance of the oil squirters. But never thought it could be this bad.
Lol Dude woke up, seen his tiny dick and decided to choose violence.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·
Turbo kit, 10 bar MAF is currently spoken for by Chris4805nc

Triple disc billet Torque converter and %60 over injectors spoken for by PhillyEagles

if you’ve been following this build and are interested in any of the upgrades that are no longer needed for the L87, 8l90 swap just DM me.

361 - 380 of 396 Posts