Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, about a month or so ago my deleted 2.8 melted a hole through #2 piston. So after going back-and-forth for a week or so, I decided to go ahead and build it. I absolutely love the truck other than the fact it had catastrophic engine failure, And I’ve already put way too much into it with other upgrades to get rid of it, so why not?

Current ordered parts are...
:SDP compound turbo kit with wastegate
:Billet Mahle pistons
:Carillo H beam rods
:ARP head studs
:Exergy %60 over injectors
:Some minor modifications to tranny
: Triple disc billet torque converter from Next Gen Diesel
:Turbonetics innercooler
: Water/methanol stage 3 kit from snow performance ( Thanks to PhillyEagles for the recommendation)
:FASS 110gph fuel air/water separator
:3” downpipe stepped to full 4” exhaust
: Tuning through MotorOps

EDIT: expanding project to include
:AEV duel sport bead lock wheels
:37/12.5/17 MT Baja Boss tires
:peak coilover kit and a add-a-leaf for another 1.5” on top of the existing BDS lift.
:Lots of trimming to fit the 37’s

Just figured I’d start this thread for anyone interested in following how everything turns out. Project probably won’t be finished for another 6 or so weeks but I do plan on getting it dyno’d on a Mustang Dynojet when it’s all squared away just to see what it will do.

I’ll include some pictures of said truck, parts and project. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should’ve specified. This is in a thread to bash anyone’s tuning. The truck was deleted for almost 2 years before this happened. And the hole in the piston looks like the usual “stuck open injector”. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you determine the cause of the failure? Stuck injector? What tune did you have on it, and how many miles on the tune and delete?

Sweet looking truck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
thank you! I absolutely love the truck! Yeah I believe it was a stuck injector. Tuning was done by GDE and had around 20,000 miles on tune. 43,000 miles on truck total

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash any tuning, or start any kind of debate! Just interested in data! I'm also deleted and tuned.

Did you run any kind of additive? I've wondered about a correlation between the stuck injectors and additives. I suspect the ones that have had it happen have not been running anything.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I wasn't trying to bash any tuning, or start any kind of debate! Just interested in data! I'm also deleted and tuned.

Did you run any kind of additive? I've wondered about a correlation between the stuck injectors and additives. I suspect the ones that have had it happen have not been running anything.

[/QUOTE/

lol as a matter fact. I’ve been a part of this form for a while and when I first decided to tune the truck I was going to be sure I was not one of the guys that had a stuck injector so from the day I deleted it I’ve been running Standyne performance additive and fuel lubricity with every fill up religiously. And ran their complete fuel system cleaner every three months. I hope it works better for you 😂 But to be honest, I’m still going to do the same thing after this build. Who knows, it could’ve failed way sooner without the additives.

Reactions: 93Duc

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
1,725 Posts
And I’ve already put way too much into it with other upgrades to get rid of it, so why not?
I hear ya!

Glad your doing the rebuild. Looks like you have a good place to work. Thanks for sharing. I imagine this thread will be popular.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those pistons are a work of art......keep the pictures coming!!
Lol I thought the same thing when I unpackaged them. I don’t even want to put them in the block 😂

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hear ya!

Glad your doing the rebuild. Looks like you have a good place to work. Thanks for sharing. I imagine this thread will be popular.
Fortunately we have a transportation company and work on our own trucks and we usually keep a project area in one of our bays. Usually it’s for gas cars but I guess a diesel can occupy it for a little while 😂

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Question who did you order piston thru? I’m doing very similar build?
Scott with Screaming Diesel Performance Custom orders them with their supplied specifications. He can hook you up! Only downside is their custom ordered and you might have to wait around two months to get them. I was super fortunate, he let me purchase a set of ones he planned on using in one of his builds but was going to be a while and he just ordered another set for himself.

Reactions: Biddy

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don’t mind sounding dumb. What does deleted mean?

Reactions: Firehk

·
Premium Member
6,146 Posts
It sucks balls that you're having to do this, but you're doing it right! If you got to rebuild, rebuild with the best components you can get! I'm curious, does the engine use two bolt or four bolt mains? Also, is there a 'cure' for preventing stuck injectors?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah that's a big question about the injectors. Would suck to go through all of this only to have another injector fail and ruin it.

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sucks balls that you're having to do this, but you're doing it right! If you got to rebuild, rebuild with the best components you can get! I'm curious, does the engine use two bolt or four bolt mains? Also, is there a 'cure' for preventing stuck injectors?
Yeah the plan is to get away from everything that is weak or an issue from the factory. And it’s a two bolt main.

Reactions: Tom S. and 93Duc

·
Registered
2018 ZR2 Duramax
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah that's a big question about the injectors. Would suck to go through all of this only to have another injector fail and ruin it.
Supposedly Exergy addresses the issues when they go through their performance injectors. Hoping that’s true lol.

1 - 20 of 396 Posts