·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding of the typical order of operations is as follows:
  • Order placed for dealer inventory
  • Order accepted by GM
  • Build week assigned by factory
  • Once it's built, a VIN is assigned, at which point it's much easier to get more granular information
  • It sits in a lot/dock/rail yard awaiting shipping
  • It's shipped
  • Arrives at dealer and is prepped
  • Deal is done, happy new owner
I'm not 100% sure my bullets are correct... I ordered a truck about a week into the strike knowing that it would likely take something along the lines of 8 weeks, plus whatever was added by the strike. The strike ended, the order was accepted, a build week assigned, supposedly it has been built, but no VIN has been assigned. Word among the salesmen is that this is not usual, and their best guess is that maybe they're still working through strike-related backlog. Does anyone have any insight into the system? Somehow I'm stuck part way through a bullet point, and it seems there's no way for the dealer to get any information that even enables them to inquire about the specific truck due to the VIN not having been assigned.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My understanding you can go on line to the GM website and found out all about your truck from there. I think you just need the order number
Others will chime in who have ordered there truck

·
Registered
468 Posts
I am not a GM dealer, but I have had tractors, skid-loaders, etc. shown being built, but if an item does not pass inspection, it will be put to the side to be addressed later. The manufacturer will also randomly pull an item for a through inspection just to see if there are any issues with the assembly process. Could be possibly something like this for example since a VIN has not been issued yet. The dealer should be able to see more on his side with the order number or contact the plant itself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read about instances like that, but when I've seen it, it's post-VIN assignment, and there's some sort of code that goes with it. I.e. "4B00 Bayed" To get that datum though, you need a VIN, which for some reason hasn't been assigned.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! Information! I got the order number from the salesman this morning, and was able to get the VIN and found out that it is "bayed, and just arrived there". So there's a week long gap between the end of the build week and "just" being bayed...

If it's pulled for quality control (my assumed reason for that gap), is that generally a good thing or a bad thing? On the one hand, it could mean more attention paid and nothing slipped through the gap on the quality side, but on the other, could it portend bad things to come?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I doubt if there is a way for the dealer to find out unless he knows someone behind the scenes at the factory. Could be a good thing as whatever it is, it will be addressed before it leaves the plant. Also a better reason to check over the truck before you take delivery. Make sure there is no paint overspray if they had to repaint/repair something which would be the worst case scenario. Could have been pulled because of something was missing on the build sheet or a light was not functioning. Maybe somebody forgot to put oil in the engine :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts