Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Need to commit to completing the job next time I start, but it will be tougher, because my truck has factory fender flares, and the bottom 3 screws that hold the fender liner are covered up with flares. I will have to take a small hole saw to drill thru the plastic flare so I can get a driver tip on the screw. Next time I start, I will not give up. After that it will be a straight forward clean out.
Are the flairs held on with double sided tape? You could probably get a large dia hose, shop vac and some duct tape and clean it out from the top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ok whats thoughts on whether this would work? Walmart sells a flexible attachment for a vacuum cleaner that is 36" long for $9.95. Order number #32-1832-67. That opening where the leaves can go down into fender well is pretty big. Yas think maybe we could use this attached to a vacuum pushed down in there and just suck the leaves out? Well forget this thought, on further looking at it it has a rectangle opening toward the bottom on the side to suck in stuff in not at the bottom end an opening.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok whats thoughts on whether this would work? Walmart sells a flexible attachment for a vacuum cleaner that is 36" long for $9.95. Order number #32-1832-67. That opening where the leaves can go down into fender well is pretty big. Yas think maybe we could use this attached to a vacuum pushed down in there and just suck the leaves out?
I don't see why not as long as it fits the hole, really not that hard to pull the liner back as long as you don't have the flairs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Ok whats thoughts on whether this would work? Walmart sells a flexible attachment for a vacuum cleaner that is 36" long for $9.95. Order number #32-1832-67. That opening where the leaves can go down into fender well is pretty big. Yas think maybe we could use this attached to a vacuum pushed down in there and just suck the leaves out?
I tried to snake some 5/8 and 3/4" heater hose down the opening at top of fender, to attach to shop vac. Wouldn't go in far enough. Like to see if the WM attachment works.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The factory fender flares should make no difference in removing the fender liner and cleaning out the debris. The OEM flare is on the outer lip of the fender and shares no fasteners with the inner fender liner.

However, if you have factory or WeatherTech splash guards, they would have to be removed.
The fender flares wrap around under the fender lip, but the flare is wider than the fender lip and all the fender liner screws are cover up by the flare.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The fender flares wrap around under the fender lip, but the flare is wider than the fender lip and all the fender liner screws are cover up by the flare.
8 months later - - - lol :)
I'll have to look again at mine. I thought mine were only partially covered behind the fender flare edge and still accessible with the right bit.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
8 months later - - - lol :)
I'll have to look again at mine. I thought mine were only partially covered behind the fender flare edge and still accessible with the right bit.
By the looks of it, even if I could get a bit on it, the screws will be too long to back them out without, cutting a hole in the flare for the screw to exit.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
By the looks of it, even if I could get a bit on it, the screws will be too long to back them out without, cutting a hole in the flare for the screw to exit.
Well, I haven't looked in that cavity since I put the flares on and also installed the filter mesh to prevent any more debris from falling down in there. Maybe I will fish my borescope down there and see what it looks like and whether any debris has been deposited.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have installed the mesh months ago, but 2 1/2 years of leaves are in there.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I have installed the mesh months ago, but 2 1/2 years of leaves are in there.
Curious - - did you install the coarse type filter media as mentioned earlier in the thread? What sort of mesh did you install and where?

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Coarse type.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It’s collecting everything now, but the 2 1/2 years of the open gap is what I want to clean out.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
It’s collecting everything now, but the 2 1/2 years of the open gap is what I want to clean out.
Geez . . my bad. I misread and thought you had some filter mesh in there for 2 1/2 years. I'm still going to check mine with my borescope and see how it has fared.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reviving this thread since it's approaching that time of year again. Fall brings with it leaves, pine needles and other debris that may get down into the fender well area spoken about and pictured in Post #1 of this thread. It is an open path to this area and I thought about another possible proactive solution to remedy this.
I also have a lot of trees that drop small seeds in Spring and though I do not park my truck outside very much at all, there is the occasion where I maybe leave it in the driveway a few hours if I am leaving again later.

I had some of this 1.25" coarse pond filter media and seems like a good way to block even small seeds, and pine needles, yet allow water to drain through in the designed manner from the cowl area when it rains or going through a car wash.
This filter material is very coarse and almost see through as you can see in the picture below with the tape measure. It is also very "springy" and remains in place when inserted into the upper fender well cowl area. I cut a piece about 9" wide and 12" long for each fender screen. I then inserted it ( a bit tricky ) into the slot like opening between the inner fender sheet metal and the fender bracket bolt points. I also doubled over the top 3.5" to 4" or so of the filter screen material as I inserted it to provide added thickness and also wedge it snugly in place.

So far, it has accomplished what I wanted to keep debris out and it is easily removed for a quick wash or rinse with the hose if needed.
Anyway, a simple but effective remedy for those who may be interested. The Material is available from Aqua-Flow from several vendors. I found the material direct from Aqua-Flow on Ebay was the best price at under $20 for a 12" X 72" size. I originally purchased a larger quantity for our pond and the price I just quoted is listed for higher prices elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-72-x-1-25-Coarse-Black-Universal-Pond-Filter-Mat-aquarium-filtration-media/122446486647?hash=item1c82611c77:g:85gAAOSwpkFY8GHc

Good idea. I think that you could also use a similar material that is made for house gutters to keep the leaves and debris out. Going to look at that as an option.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So are you guys just folding the mesh material up and sticking it inside the fender through the drain hole? I see the hole where everything drains through but I don't understand what keeps the mesh from falling down to the bottom of the fender.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
So are you guys just folding the mesh material up and sticking it inside the fender through the drain hole? I see the hole where everything drains through but I don't understand what keeps the mesh from falling down to the bottom of the fender.

Just the tension of the material itself, it not going anywhere.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts

Yes .. I fold it over about 3 to 4 inches at first, but the more "fold over" you do, the better it will stay put. I re installed mine this summer and folded the coarse material over about 5 " plus positioned it upwards to the top of the inner fender.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Curious - - did you install the coarse type filter media as mentioned earlier in the thread? What sort of mesh did you install and where?
Go down to Wally-World and in the air conditioner section pick up one of the inexpensive green filters. They have a woven mesh on one side and filter material on the other. The filter is about an inch thick. Cut a piece4 about 5" X 12" and fold it in half with the mesh side out now cram this in the hole near the hood hinge (see description in Granite Blue's post # 15 earlier in this thread) it is similar to the material Granite Blue used but much less expensive. pass along the left over filter material to another "Twins" enthusiast, they will appreciate the heads up!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
23 Participants
billsite34
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing